First Name
Brian
Vehicles
Bolt EV, Volt
Occupation
Engineering
I'm pretty curious about this part of the specs of the portable charger:
1632850593363.png

I'm wondering if another adapter is made to go from a 30A TT-30 outlet (which is a 120V circuit) to the "32 A" adapter if you'd actually be able to select 24A on the Rivian and charge at that rate on 120V. I know from watching the reviews that you can manually set a limit in the Rivian. Just curious if that would also apply/work in this situation. Lots of older campgrounds don't have 240V 50 amp sockets available. [email protected] is pretty darn slow but would still be twice the speed of a 15A circuit.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicles
Clarity Electric
1632850593363.png

I'm wondering if another adapter is made to go from a 30A TT-30 outlet (which is a 120V circuit) to the "32 A" adapter if you'd actually be able to select 24A on the Rivian and charge at that rate on 120V. I know from watching the reviews that you can manually set a limit in the Rivian. Just curious if that would also apply/work in this situation. Lots of older campgrounds don't have 240V 50 amp sockets available. [email protected] is pretty darn slow but would still be twice the speed of a 15A circuit.
The actual charger (in the vehicle) has specs of 12A @ 120V

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Reaction score
First Name
Brian
Vehicles
Bolt EV, Volt
Occupation
Engineering
The actual charger (in the vehicle) has specs of 12A @ 120V
I know earlier Teslas could charge at 24A on 120V in this situation but they also aren't restricted to the J1772 specification (which actually has a 16A limit, not 12A). I'm curious if this is one of those things that might get updated/changed later on.

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Reaction score
First Name
Gary
Vehicles
Clarity Electric
I know earlier Teslas could charge at 24A on 120V in this situation but they also aren't restricted to the J1772 specification (which actually has a 16A limit, not 12A). I'm curious if this is one of those things that might get updated/changed later on.
1632859551841.png

From the EPA application

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Reaction score
First Name
A. J.
Vehicles
Tesla X Extended Range Plus 2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, SR5
Occupation
EE Retired
1632850593363.png

Remember that the "portable charger" is not a charger. The charger is in the truck. It is, nonetheless, clear that the charger in the car can accept from 90 - 264 V and convert that up to the ~ 400 V needed to charge the battery and do it up to 48A. If you connect the portable "charger" with its 14-50R to a Variac set for 240 V presumably you can crank that Variac up to 264 V at which point the EVSE will disconnect it if the charger in the truck doesn't do it first. And you should be able to turn it down to 120 V too but I'm guessing that as things are today the charger in the car would interpret this reduction in voltage caused by bad connection and dramatically reduce the current drawn or even shut off completely.

Perhaps the simplest answer is that if Tesla can charge a 385 V battery from a TT-30 a Rivian can to if Rivian decides to allow it. Were they to do so they would have to build an adapter to program their EVSE to send proper current limit information to the truck.

Remember that WRT J1772 the goal is to be able to charge from any charger that adheres to J1772 - not to necessarily restrict themselves to the J1772 envelope.

Advertisement

Advertisement