Sponsored

Zool

First Name
J
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Kia Soul EV
Now that modern vehicles are rolling computers designed to snorkel up vast amounts of your personal data (telematics, waypoints, the music you like and images of your kids playing in the driveway), being asked to pay extra on top of a large purchase price so AT&T and their chosen third parties can access it too seems... gauche.

The tradeoff of some free charging is a penny dropped in the sea.
Sponsored

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
Now that modern vehicles are rolling computers designed to snorkel up vast amounts of your personal data (telematics, waypoints, the music you like and images of your kids playing in the driveway), being asked to pay extra on top of a large purchase price so AT&T and their chosen third parties can access it too seems... gauche.

The tradeoff of some free charging is a penny dropped in the sea.
What? You don't want to pay to give them your information that they're going to sell for a profit?

I like the idea of beta testing new features, and can probably come up with a number of suggestions on features to try out. Beyond that, I can't justify spending money for AT&T service that doesn't work at my house, office or any of the offroad places I go.

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

They should have partnered with Inmarsat for satellite connectivity. That is something I could see paying for. Cellular coverage is good but I doubt there are too many adventure locations that actually have coverage.

If I can provide my own SIM, I would setup a business plans to direct all traffic through my home network and free all traffic going to Rivian and/or Amazon.

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
free charging....yeah...the Denver SC is 3 minutes from where I am building my new office and there are two great lunch spots at York Street Yards (Rivian's location is part of this). I'll be able to use the Level 3 chargers while grabbing lunch and get free "fuel". Sounds like a win-win...
I'm not sure we are getting L3 at any of the service centers, at least not right away. The electrical permit at Steele street:

L3 CHARGING CABINET NOTE: PROVIDE ROUGH-IN ONLY FOR FUTURE L3 POWER CABINET

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
What? You don't want to pay to give them your information that they're going to sell for a profit?
As someone that works in big tech, I don't think Rivian would want to sell your data. For companies that personally derive value from your data (e.g. Apple, Google, Netflix, etc.), keeping your data for themselves is an enormous competitive advantage. I always find that it's businesses like retailers, finance, etc. that will sell your data because their ability to utilize the data is limited. Like your grocery store via credit cards and savey save cards is going to sell the shit out of your data because it's more valuable to food conglomerates so that they can understand what goods sell together, how often people buy things, emerging trends, etc.

For Rivian, data that can be used to optimize battery management, self-driving, performance, etc. is worth its weight in gold and to sell it would be to give their competitors an advantage.

Sponsored

Temerarius

First Name
Chase
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model X, 2018 Ram 1500 EcoDiesel
Occupation
Sr. Program Manager
On the 4G front, I'll just use my phone as a WiFi hotspot for the truck and use it's 5G... problem solved.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
As someone that works in big tech, I don't think Rivian would want to sell your data. For companies that personally derive value from your data (e.g. Apple, Google, Netflix, etc.), keeping your data for themselves is an enormous competitive advantage. I always find that it's businesses like retailers, finance, etc. that will sell your data because their ability to utilize the data is limited. Like your grocery store via credit cards and savey save cards is going to sell the shit out of your data because it's more valuable to food conglomerates so that they can understand what goods sell together, how often people buy things, emerging trends, etc.

For Rivian, data that can be used to optimize battery management, self-driving, performance, etc. is worth its weight in gold and to sell it would be to give their competitors an advantage.
Sure, there's plenty of data they'd want to keep for internal purposes, but there's also data that wouldn't benefit competitors that they could still sell. I could be paranoid, but I'm one of the few that reads the fine print.

I'm hoping I can opt out of a lot of the sharing. I don't want Rivian selling my conversations and internal video to the highest bidder.

Driveout

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
none
Ideally the provider should be StarLink to account for the times there is no cell tower anywhere on the horizon while out in the bush or dunes or forest or metal detecting old mining towns... Oh yeah that's a competitors product. I wonder if the European versions will be unlocked to allow for carrier choice. I don't know how many enhanced driving modes I'll need, the vast majority of my driving will be in normal traffic and I do want to keep my license. The essential truck seems so capable as it is the rest seems like fluff (until an upgrade gets me out of a mud pit somewhere). There are obviously some very creative out of the box types at Rivian that may come up with some new ability that I just have to have to satisfy my need use the camp kitchen while driving to roast a chicken and fill the cabin (via the pass through) with savory aromas. That being said, I beta tested a fair amount of software updates to Telco equipment and feel fully qualified to trial beta versions of enhancements.

Reactions: Rad

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Ideally the provider should be StarLink to account for the times there is no cell tower anywhere on the horizon while out in the bush or dunes or forest or metal detecting old mining towns... Oh yeah that's a competitors product.
Before drinking the elon Kool aide look into the requirements for starlink. It isn't some magical service that gets you high speed internet everywhere.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

Sponsored

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
They should have partnered with Inmarsat for satellite connectivity. That is something I could see paying for. Cellular coverage is good but I doubt there are too many adventure locations that actually have coverage.

If I can provide my own SIM, I would setup a business plans to direct all traffic through my home network and free all traffic going to Rivian and/or Amazon.
I would love inreach / iridium integrated service with topo and waypoint reporting. That said, once Kuiper/starlink/low orbit geosynchronous On 5G (att?), I'd love to have ubiquitous 5G coverage on N53 band. I wonder if the telecom module can be upgraded in the future to support such services

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
My humor must be a little dry for some...
I've had to really limit my sarcasm on here. Or attach emoji to any post when I'm being a turd for fun.

riviancanucknb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Dodge Ram 1500
Why do people always need to complain the second new information comes out.
It's called feedback (?)

Hopefully Rivian is smart enough to have their social media teams monitor these forums. If they aren't... well that is very foolish.

If you never give any feedback about your opinion then nothing will change. Companies are not mind readers.
Sponsored