First Name
Andy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Launch, Subaru Cross trek
Occupation
Enrolled Agent
I expected there'd be a monthly/yearly fee for wireless service, but if it includes charging too that's a pretty sweet deal
And off roadside assistance, it’s sounds too good to be true! Just pray it’s not!
Sponsored

LaunchGreen

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Range Rover
As someone who manages product launches, this one is so bad that someone should be losing their job. They obviously didn't even run the release by 5 people because it doesn't even answer the most basic of questions.

Personally I'm neutral on the concept because we know pretty much nothing.

LagSwag1

First Name
Casey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
Software Engineer
As someone who manages product launches, this one is so bad that someone should be losing their job. They obviously didn't even run the release by 5 people because it doesn't even answer the most basic of questions.

TBF this product hasnt technically launched yet

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T

The 1 year trial is mostly to buy themselves a year before they need to answer those questions, lol.

Sponsored

eemri

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC60 Polestar Engineered
Clubs

Maybe I'm just seeing things I want to see, but does this look a bit darker than LA Silver??

Membership_Protect_Image__Stack_Media-Large.jpg

I mean, we have to analyze EVERYTHING in this update, right? :p
Looks like Gideon (whom we learned is 5'9 earlier) based on this photo from the sizing up story. So my guess is that it's LA Silver

Rivian R1T R1S Official: RIVIAN MEMBERSHIP Announced [1 year free trial beginning at day of delivery] Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 1.05.03 PM

Pedritho

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Prius 2000 Toyota 4Runner
I like the idea and can see how it can be a way to make the backers happy.

Tank turn very well could be part of this membership, and it can basically create a paper trail of who has access to the feature and then can isolate to when and where it was enabled for liability reasons if someone trashed an entire ecosystem or habitat.

Another thing is with Amazon being a huge investor, there might be an agreement to access data points for geared marketing, and the paid membership could give you the option to opt out of data sharing. I would hate to see an Amazon splash screen upon staring up the car though.

Another thing about the membership that came to mind is that like someone else said, it may offer more features, not take away some. It could easily roll in Driver+ on surface streets as a paid service, but by default you get Driver+ on approved interstates/highways. Or maybe priority parking at a Whole Foods with included charging that you can reserve before arriving. And if you weren’t’ a member, and you needed to charge, you got to find a charger up the street since all the parking stalls/chargers are reserved by members already.

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

This seems to be how most feel the last six months of "launch" have been managed/mangled

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023
"The Rivian Beta Membership is designed to make Rivian Beta Products available to you on a public collaborative beta basis."

I'm fine with this as long as you accept my Beta payment from my Beta Bank with a collaborative Beta currency.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
? Breaking News: Amazon caught intentionally throttling its EV chargers in an attempt to force you to spend more time (and money) in Whole Foods. More at 11!

?
I paid for PrimeNAAAOW charging, dammit, not no-rush!

Why not give away free Rivians with free charging/insurance/whatever for a subscription of $1500/month????
I mean, that's basically the whole premise of the Care by Volvo program: https://www.volvocars.com/us/care-by-volvo/

There's a market for it, but I agree that there must be some sort of balance and flexibility between what is offered as a one-time fee vs. a subscription. Each company will approach it differently, but Rivian do not seem like the nickel-and-dime'ing type. They want new cash flows, sure, and they are hopefully going to make it worth our while.

Sponsored

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
"The Rivian Beta Membership is designed to make Rivian Beta Products available to you on a public collaborative beta basis."

I'm fine with this as long as you accept my Beta payment from my Beta Bank with a collaborative Beta currency.
I'm going to have to run all this beta language through my beta lawyer who happens to be a beta fish.

electrictaco

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Not sure why everyone is so confused by the Rivian Membership. It's pretty clear that you get the following:
  1. Free charging on RAN
    • Additional charge to get Off Road Recovery and Charge Assurance
  2. 4G connectivity
    • Also you get invited to some Rivian events
  3. Rivian will buy renewable energy to match your miles driven
    • Rivian is also doing some community educational events
  4. You can opt in to the Rivian Beta Program
    • This gets you early access to new driving modes, enhanced driving capabilities, in cabin content, and Rivian exclusive events
Point 4 seems to be a sticking point for people who are interpreting it as a "Subscribe to Drive" product. I don't think this is at all similar to Tesla software enabling hardware or Mercedes enabling 4 wheel steering with a subcription.

To me this is an early access beta program where you can pay to get cool new features that may not stick.

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
Very active and lively discussion.

A few things:
  • If there is a membership fee, it is still well under the cost of gas & maintenance for and ICE vehicle
  • It should be free for the first year as there are hardly any RAN stations at this time, it should be free until they hit 3500 stations
  • I also agree that is should not take features away, you get the keep the features and not lose them if you do not continue the membership, basically a perpetual license.
    • Some exception I would suggest are:
      • If it is safety related, it should be free
      • If it is mileage improvement, that should be free as well--especially under the mantra of saving the planet.
  • - this is a first world problem (wink)
Let's enjoy this great company, the vehicle, and the owners of our new Rivian's!

Looking forward to seeing you on the road!

Lmirafuente

First Name
Lionel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla, Audi Cabriolet
Also...from the Normal event, the Surfer Lady said that the Silver color had flakes so it will pick up colors from its surroundings...so you may have seen more of a shadow affect on the paint from the picture since it was under a tree and appeared to be shaded. ---just a guess/possible explaination

Looks like Gideon (whom we learned is 5'9 earlier) based on this photo from the sizing up story. So my guess is that it's LA Silver

Screen Shot 2021-09-16 at 1.05.03 PM.png
Sponsored