Sponsored

LordUlhtred

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
Because we were early adopters; we gave them early funds; we were the cheapest advertising and champions of their brand for going on three years; because we gave them feedback and guidance through forums and questions to assist them get to where they are and where they are going; because it would be a great thing to do to say thank you for our early support; because it would be the right thing to do!
I totally agree with your sentiment. I bought my Model 3 RWD back in summer 2018 because Elon stated that anyone placing an order before June 30 2018 (I believe that is the right date) will get FREE cellular connection for duration of the ownership. I hope Rivian will take a similar approach and provides ā€early adoptersā€ free membership as a token of gratitude.
Sponsored

PastyPilgrim

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Kind of an offshoot thought... Why hasn't RAN partnered with Whole Foods to get chargers at all their locations. With the Amazon connection it would make perfect sense.
That's a phenomenal idea. Whole Foods isn't my go-to right now but if I could charge there it would be. They're all over, Amazon could spin-up charger infra really quickly, EV charging fits WF's brand, grocery stores make for great charging locations, etc.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
That's a phenomenal idea. Whole Foods isn't my go-to right now but if I could charge there it would be. They're all over, Amazon could spin-up charger infra really quickly, EV charging fits WF's brand, grocery stores make for great charging locations, etc.
That's the key that more businesses need to realize. Offering EV charging will help "conquest" customers from competitors. Give customers a reason to choose you over everyone else, and give them a reason to spend time in your business.

EVnewb

First Name
Dustin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sienna, Tesla MYP, R1T
Like a few other people here, my first reaction to the last part was annoyance. I understand the monthly costs for things like WiFi and off-roadside assistance. Itā€™s almost like buying a house and having utilities costs.

However, I donā€™t like the driving modes being tossed into that heap. Others have mentioned the monthly subscriptions for driving modes or improvements from other brands and those annoy me just as much. I would much rather pay for that supercharger/turbo or suspension parts in one chunk instead of financing it.

I get it though. Companies have found a way to generate steady cash flow because most people are willing to ā€œbudgetā€ for it each month. We hold onto our cars for a long time and we donā€™t like car payments. But I also know thatā€™s not as common these days. Some people like to upgrade and change their vehicles every 2-3 years so the monthly subscription makes sense.

As others have mentioned, it really does come down to personal value. If it makes financial sense to you, do it. If not, donā€™t do it. Just would be nice to have a full pay option for features a la carte.

After my initial reaction, I totally agree that more information is needed before jumping to conclusions though. Weā€™ve got at least a year to find out about them.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I was just going to point this out. So at least one partnership for now.
They have fast chargers, but not a ton. Here are all of the 120kW+ chargers. No 200kW+ chargers currently.

Rivian R1T R1S Official: RIVIAN MEMBERSHIP Announced [1 year free trial beginning at day of delivery] 1631818973992

Sponsored

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Kind of an offshoot thought... Why hasn't RAN partnered with Whole Foods to get chargers at all their locations. With the Amazon connection it would make perfect sense.
Personally I'd rather it be at Costco, but if Costco partnered with Charge point that would work too. I would have no issue killing an hour plus at Costco to top the car off.

Sponsored

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

HUGE Turn-off!
I know everyone is going to subscription based BS, but this is not one I will buy in to. If you want $500/year for the subscription, just add $2500 to the price of the vehicle. Some people win, some people lose but nobody get nickle and dimed! Either a vehicle has a drive mode or it doesn't. Free charging is not free if you pay for a subscription.

Why not give away free Rivians with free charging/insurance/whatever for a subscription of $1500/month????

EDIT: I am OK with a monthly fee for internet and navigation, as long as I am not forced to use it. I have a phone and could tether to it and use Waze (oh wait...) to get to where I am going.

srwaxalot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
WXR. KIA Niro plugin
They have fast chargers, but not a ton. Here are all of the 120kW+ chargers. No 200kW+ chargers currently.

1631818973992.png
Thanks. Unfortunately none near me or most people for that.

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I was really exited about this reading it until i got to the paid subscription part. There will have to be tiers. I'm going to be charging at home 95% of the time and don't think I need 4g in the cab. But I want to be part of the community and go to the events. Hopefully its not very expensive and I can justify spending whatever the payment is when I wont be using the main costs of free charging. or they have tiers.
Also I really hate things that come with monthly subscription payments.

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
Maybe the annual fee will include access to Tesla Superchargers....

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
if my wife wasn't already convinced, all that I'd need to do is tell her there will be free charging at Target and she would be on board. As if she needed any other reasons to spend an hour and a half there....
You need to work on your sales technique. "Honey, the Rivian needs charging ... do you mind going and spending an hour at Target? We'll go to the one by Hooters, as I need to go check the beer temperature for my podcast channel."
Sponsored