First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT
As someone who intends to travel extensively once I get my R1S this is practically a no brainer for me almost regardless of cost. But let the guessing begin. I’m guessing it’ll be a monthly fee of between $30-$50….. maybe less because most won’t use as much RAN charging as I’m planning to use.
What say you old wise internet folk?
Sponsored

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I was pretty excited reading the details, at first. But when I got to the part where it's just a "trial" and membership will be an optional paid add-on then it is less exciting. Honestly, this is no different than what every other manufacturer is doing. You'll end up paying several hundred dollars a year so you can get traffic in the NAV, remote lock/unlock, and such. I do pay for the subscription on my current vehicle (remote lock/unlock/start and sending addresses to the NAV are worth it, to me).

The biggest "nice" points is the free charging at Rivian-branded chargers and the off-road extraction. I wonder if they'll be bundled into a single subscription option? Or will we have different "tiers" to select based on what level of service you want?

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Unlimited free charging on the RAN for an unknown period of time (Cool!), 'adventure extraction' (Cool!), dead battery service (Cool!), 4G connectivity (free? dunno...maybe less cool...), meet other Rivians and their people (Cool!), other stuff that doesn't look like it will cost me money (Cool!)...

Overall first impression? ...uhhhh...?

Harvest

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honda Pilot, Rivian R1T Adventure Forest Green
Occupation
agriculture
I agree that overall the membership sounds promising and totally like the energy offsets. Just seems strange they did not address some basic questions.

kommonplace

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kevinjwangler.com
Vehicles
2014 Ford Flex, non-LE R1S preorder
Occupation
IT Director
I agree they were really lacking some information, including on how you sign up for membership and what it costs (if it's free, they should say so).

If it is free, that's pretty incredible with the free charging and road-side assistance, but surely there will be some sort of charge for those things?
Not free.

From the site:

"Once you get your vehicle, membership will be complimentary for an extended trial period. After that, you can opt into paid membership."

Sponsored

jessefive

First Name
Jesse
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Prius Prime
Occupation
Real Estate Appraiser
Maybe I'm just seeing things I want to see, but does this look a bit darker than LA Silver??

Rivian R1T R1S Official: RIVIAN MEMBERSHIP Announced [1 year free trial beginning at day of delivery] Membership_Protect_Image__Stack_Media-Large

I mean, we have to analyze EVERYTHING in this update, right? :p

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
This is also a bit concerning.

Sounds like our $80k trucks may only get partial functionality, unless you pay even more in perpetuity. Literally HATE that kind of business model on vehicles.
I don't like locking features away in a subscription when there's no need to do so.... But in this case I think it's acceptable, as long as the price isn't outrageous. There is a cost to provide cellular connectivity to the vehicles, so it's reasonable to ask owners to pay for that, imo.

It'll be interesting to see what the cost is, once available. And will there be different "tiers" of membership so owners can pay for what they want (like 4G connectivity) but not have to pay for what they don't (some may not need off-road extraction). Although, maybe it's better to include everything in a single membership option then those costs are amortized over a much larger customer base. Ultimately, it all comes down to whether the cost is reasonable, imo.

bajadahl

First Name
Alan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus LX470
Occupation
IT

kommonplace

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.kevinjwangler.com
Vehicles
2014 Ford Flex, non-LE R1S preorder
Occupation
IT Director
Just FYI, CS confirmed the trial is 1 year beginning at day of delivery.
Now we have to wait to see what we lose when that year is up. Do we lose navigation? Drive modes? I think we've all been counting on those things being included with no strings attached, so it will be very interesting to see what this "membership" program entails.

Sponsored

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Sounds like our $80k trucks may only get partial functionality, unless you pay even more in perpetuity. Literally HATE that kind of business model on vehicles.
Rivian R1T R1S Official: RIVIAN MEMBERSHIP Announced [1 year free trial beginning at day of delivery] This-one-does-not-spark-joy

eggpaul

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Chevy Volt, 2021 Acura TLX
Occupation
Business Owner
This is also a bit concerning.

It's like a free game app that has a million ads and requires payment for extra perks....

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

Just FYI, CS confirmed the trial is 1 year beginning at day of delivery.
That's a healthy timeline and frankly much better than I expected. I'll be interested to see if that's for preorders only or if every buyers gets that.
Sponsored