First Name
Bryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Dodge Durange R/T, Kia Soul EV
Occupation
Biostatistician
I was excited for the update yesterday, but the price will be a serious consideration for me as to whether I continue to use the membership after a year. I like the unlimited charging aspect, but 95%+ of the time I will do that at home. Pretty sure I will never/rarely need the 4G connectivity, so paying a monthly subscription for that does not make a ton of sense to me at this point. The unlocking of features is the only ball-buster feature where there may be some value to me... maybe they'll allow for a la carte purchasing of those?!
Sponsored

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I was excited for the update yesterday, but the price will be a serious consideration for me as to whether I continue to use the membership after a year. I like the unlimited charging aspect, but 95%+ of the time I will do that at home. Pretty sure I will never/rarely need the 4G connectivity, so paying a monthly subscription for that does not make a ton of sense to me at this point. The unlocking of features is the only ball-buster feature where there may be some value to me... maybe they'll allow for a la carte purchasing of those?!
Iā€˜m interested to see if theyā€™ll offer it on an ad hoc basis, after a year of figuring out how people are using it. I donā€™t need the free charging or off road recovery stuff on a day to day basis - will be charging at home. But if weā€™re going on a big trip or something, itā€™d be handy to be able to buy a week or a month of membership.

Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T!
Clubs

The data plan is likely going to be the key cost driver here. Rivian can choose to subsidize it or profit from it of course but the $10/month Telsa fees are heavily subsidized and I think they bank on limited use as I don't think they allow the cars to be wi-fi hotspots. They also start capping/throttling around 50 GB.

When we road trip my kids eat up 5 GB per each way (2 tablets streaming video) and I can only imagine that people using it for camping or tailgating might be using a lot of data.

Rivian advertising unlimited plans and wi-fi hotspots makes me think it will be much more than $10.

Rivian shouldn't be paying these prices but it's a good reference point from ATT consumer plans.
Data planEligible devicesMonthly data amount
DataConnect1Tablet
Mobile hotspot
Laptop Connect
LTE camera5
25GB: $50

40GB: $75

Price includes a $10 discount when you sign up for AutoPay and paperless billing

Overage: $10 per 2GB

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
It also opens up the question: Will AT&T provide a (discount or special) program for individuals that will have a Rivan and gravitate towards AT&T for cellular service (or already have one)? I have Sprint and since they got bought out by T-mobile, their service went right to the commode. Been looking to upgrade to AT&T and this would be one heck of an incentive if they have a Rivian - AT&T plan.
Tesla uses AT&T and there is no discount or incentives from that relationship.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
Tesla uses AT&T and there is no discount or incentives from that relationship.
That's Tesla. We have no idea what (or if) Rivian's negotiations have been with AT&T. I'll soon find out though ;)

Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Iā€˜m interested to see if theyā€™ll offer it on an ad hoc basis, after a year of figuring out how people are using it. I donā€™t need the free charging or off road recovery stuff on a day to day basis - will be charging at home. But if weā€™re going on a big trip or something, itā€™d be handy to be able to buy a week or a month of membership.
Something like that would be a completely different price structure. A lot of these subscription plans are able to provide the services because they are not being used all the time so it balances out the price for the entire user base.

Something that you could add on when you want to use it and remove after would not allow for the value to spread across the user base. The cost to support that would be at a price people would most likely never pay.

Sdvictor

First Name
Victor
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I already have a cell phone with a data plan, why would I pay for two data plans. I hate when vehicle manufacturers try to force you to not use your cell phone and data plan you already pay for. like, wtf? I gave you $80 grand for the vehicle. it had better include android auto and a way for me to use my phone to play my music and use my navigation and data plan.
Most people I know subscribe to a ton of recurring services and are now accustomed to it. I was just thinking about this the other day
  • Multiple mobile phone lines.
  • Device data service (watches, tablets)
  • Alarm services (ADT, brinks, Ring, etc)
  • Music Streaming services (Spotify, Pandora, Apple Music, Youtube Music)
  • Video recording services (nest, ring, Arlo, etc)
  • Video streaming services (netflix, Disney, ATV+, HBO Max, etc)
  • Satellite services (Inreach or SPOT for outdoors)
  • Exercise equipment (Zwift, Peloton, Tonal, etc)
  • Video game services (Xbox Live, PS Plus, Nintendo Online, Stadia, GeForce now)
  • Car Telematics (Onstar, etc)

Actually Fuck, I pay for multiple things in each category. I guess I'll just add another one and not think about it.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Most people I know subscribe to a ton of recurring services and are now accustomed to it. I was just thinking about this the other day
  • Multiple mobile phone lines.
  • Device data service (watches, tablets)
  • Alarm services (ADT, brinks, Ring, etc)
  • Music Streaming services (Spotify, Pandora, Apple Music, Youtube Music)
  • Video recording services (nest, ring, Arlo, etc)
  • Video streaming services (netflix, Disney, ATV+, HBO Max, etc)
  • Satellite services (Inreach or SPOT for outdoors)
  • Exercise equipment (Zwift, Peloton, Tonal, etc)
  • Video game services (Xbox Live, PS Plus, Nintendo Online, Stadia, GeForce now)
  • Car Telematics (Onstar, etc)

Actually Fuck, I pay for multiple things in each category. I guess I'll just add another one and not think about it.
This is where my subscription service service service management firm comes in!

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Something like that would be a completely different price structure. A lot of these subscription plans are able to provide the services because they are not being used all the time so it balances out the price for the entire user base.

Something that you could add on when you want to use it and remove after would not allow for the value to spread across the user base. The cost to support that would be at a price people would most likely never pay.
all sorts of subscription based things have the option of a (much more expensive) daily/weekly/monthly price vs an entire year. So it is not unheard of. And to some extent the long term subscriptions subsidize the price of the short ones.

Sponsored

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
How soon ? ?
I was going to go to AT&T today, but seeing how the news about Rivian's membership services just got recently announced, it's probably a safer bet to ask them later next week or possible a month from now. I have to hear back from a family member that works at AT&T regarding this very same question :D

OP
OP
lg3103

lg3103

First Name
Lars
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Atlas, Mini SE
Occupation
Director
free charging....yeah...the Denver SC is 3 minutes from where I am building my new office and there are two great lunch spots at York Street Yards (Rivian's location is part of this). I'll be able to use the Level 3 chargers while grabbing lunch and get free "fuel". Sounds like a win-win...

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

I am willing to keep an open mind on the membership but the information we have raises some concerns. For example I don't expect to have to use Rivian chargers that frequently so it would be unfortunate if I have to subsidize charging for others in order to access exclusive member-only driving modes. With features like complementary charging and off-roadside assistance I don't expect full membership will be as low as many are speculating.

Diddy123

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Acura MDX
free charging....yeah...the Denver SC is 3 minutes from where I am building my new office and there are two great lunch spots at York Street Yards (Rivian's location is part of this). I'll be able to use the Level 3 chargers while grabbing lunch and get free "fuel". Sounds like a win-win...
Out of curiosity, what are the lunch spots? I'm 10 mins from there.

E.S.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt
Occupation
Retired
The membership feature is interesting. For people that will travel frequently, the free charging alone is a no-brainer. But for those that do not do often and are normally roaming within range of their homes when they drive, this may not be worth the membership's admission. Sadly, it's going to another game of "wait and see" the membership's price and a solid confirmation of all the features that will be included.
Sponsored