Sponsored

NoVATechieChick

First Name
Emily
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Good to know, I’ll be curious if their rates can beat Erie, which had the lowest rates for my Tesla. I’d like to know next if they have a Rivian loan program with nice low interest rates.
Sponsored

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
The concept of insurance, I think should related to better real-time data. I mentioned this on another insurance thread but I pay a base fee and then a rate by the mile determined by how much coverage I want. The insurance company keeps track by a fob in my ODBII port w/ a cell signal. I don't drive, I save money, I don't crash as much, they save money. Sort of a win win.

This is actually quite a fascinating question. If they rely on all their telemetrics to come up with your monthly charge, then they should in theory not charge you for using one of the vehicle's features (i.e. 0-60 in 3 or tank turn) in the appropriate environments. Or are they smart enough to tie in traffic data to know that there's no one on your street at 3am and it's "safe" to do a 0-60 blast? ?‍♂

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I'm afraid I find it creepy they will be tracking all my data through the driver assist and calculating that into my insurance premiums. I'll probably stick with my own insurance, although I guess the "Big Brother" concept is and has been here for some time now.....
lol. Yep, the ol' smartphone already did away with all privacy.

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Agreed. 57 mph is way too slow. Cruise at 90 mph minimum or just give me back the controls and I'll do it myself
My Tesla limits autopilot to 5mph over the posted speed limit on two lane roads. 90mph limit on freeways. I wasn’t too thrilled when they added those limits, but I hope Rivian gives us at least that much (if not more) leeway on deciding how fast we want to drive. But I get it from a liability standpoint. So long as they have a better system than Tesla for prompting you to put hands on the wheel (or otherwise make sure you’re paying attention). The “3 strikes you’re out” in responding to tiny messages on the instrument panels that Tesla implemented is horrible!

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I'm afraid I find it creepy they will be tracking all my data through the driver assist and calculating that into my insurance premiums. I'll probably stick with my own insurance, although I guess the "Big Brother" concept is and has been here for some time now.....
At least they are being open about the fact they are doing it. Unlike some other companies out there monitoring us and monetizing that data. I was on a call today where I learned of a certain telco service provider wanting to “further monetize there data assets” by selling GPS logging data from cell phones. It’s clear that they consider this THEIR data, not yours.

Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
The concept of insurance, I think should related to better real-time data. I mentioned this on another insurance thread but I pay a base fee and then a rate by the mile determined by how much coverage I want. The insurance company keeps track by a fob in my ODBII port w/ a cell signal. I don't drive, I save money, I don't crash as much, they save money. Sort of a win win.
Me too, I currently have Metromile and it's great especially during the pandemic when there is very little daily driving. However my Lexus battery has drained completely a handful of times because of the stupid fob, and I've been told by both Lexus and Metromile to drive more frequently to charge up the battery every now and then. How ironic for a "drive less" insurance solution. Hopefully our Rivians will not have this issue.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Good to know, I’ll be curious if their rates can beat Erie, which had the lowest rates for my Tesla. I’d like to know next if they have a Rivian loan program with nice low interest rates.
That partnership is through Chase. Rates remain to be seen although you can now find Rivian on Chase's auto financing site with rates. Could be placeholders, could be what they are. Better rates are to be had elsewhere if that is the case. See thread link below.

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...ing-rates-now-available-for-2022-rivian.1370/

cwoodcox

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer
Yeah. It could drive up rates for people with dangerous/risky driving habits… but maybe it should?

cwoodcox

First Name
Corey
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 Ford Expedition
Occupation
Software Engineer
Me too, I currently have Metromile and it's great especially during the pandemic when there is very little daily driving. However my Lexus battery has drained completely a handful of times because of the stupid fob, and I've been told by both Lexus and Metromile to drive more frequently to charge up the battery every now and then. How ironic for a "drive less" insurance solution. Hopefully our Rivians will not have this issue.
I have been keeping a 12V battery maintainer on my Expedition for the past 6 months since I drive it so little since the pandemic started, and my wife bought a Prius that I use more than my own truck haha

This would definitely solve that issue.

Sponsored

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
Agreed. 57 mph is way too slow. Cruise at 90 mph minimum or just give me back the controls and I'll do it myself
They aren't gonna show the video going 90mph since that's illegal in all the states.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Yeah. It could drive up rates for people with dangerous/risky driving habits… but maybe it should?
This information would only drive up rates for everyone.

I haven't had an accident in over 10 years, and I've never had an at-fault accident. But I may go over the speed limit, at times. An insurance company would use that to justify a higher rate for me, despite being a proven safe driver.

They want the data to make money -- not save you money.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I have been keeping a 12V battery maintainer on my Expedition for the past 6 months since I drive it so little since the pandemic started, and my wife bought a Prius that I use more than my own truck haha

This would definitely solve that issue.
Oh interesting, I didn't know these existed - thanks for the tip. I coincidentally ended up purchasing a battery jump start kit, and looks like the same companies (e.g. Noco on Amazon) make battery maintainers too. Very similar looking devices.

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Same Metromile...Surprised the fob can drain a battery, even in two weeks of no driving with a healthy battery. I had similar issues when my battery was on death's doorstep, but never really thought to blame the fob, new battery zero issues to date. The Rivian would absolutely not have that issue unless you parked it for weeks with a low charge to begin with. 135kw is a huge battery...

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
Same Metromile...Surprised the fob can drain a battery, even in two weeks of no driving with a healthy battery. I had similar issues when my battery was on death's doorstep, but never really thought to blame the fob, new battery zero issues to date. The Rivian would absolutely not have that issue unless you parked it for weeks with a low charge to begin with. 135kw is a huge battery...
Yea it's weird, I also think it can vary from vehicle to vehicle. I had a Mini Cooper before this and it would go weeks with no issue. The Lexus however, I'm lucky if it lasts over 10 days. Through a lot of trial and error, and the process of elimination, we established it was the fob. Metromile sent me a cigarette lighter adapter for the fob as a solution because that only stays on if the car is on. So the fob ocassionally dies, but I'd rather that than my car battery.
Sponsored