Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Agreed. No test drives before June 20 and probably months later for most preorder holders. I also wouldn't expect any deliveries before the test drive program kicks off.
I think they will offer early reservation holders the opportunity to order before test driving. Some will do so, some will wait. Very likely the first test drives will be in the markets with first deliveries.
Sponsored

Riviot

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I don’t think anyone really needs a new truck over $30k but luckily we don’t live in a centrally planned economy where things are decided for us, we live in a free market (thank God) that we can decide for ourselves what we need and want. Not ever wants to buy a base Ford Ranger or Nissan Frontier.

Porsche Taycan or Lucid Air customers also don’t need a tax credit because their cars are $100k+, but they get it nevertheless, and I don’t make them feel bad for it because it’s an incentive to buy something more environmentally friendly than a Mercedes S560 or Porsche Panamera Turbo so one less gas guzzler off the road.

I personally do need the tax credit to offset a large sale of a property that I was forced to make when my business was suffering because of COVID, (luckily, recently business has come back hence why I am still getting the R1T), so I need to offset the capital gains for this year only.

I have had my heart set on this truck since I saw it and will actually use it for my business (electrician), so I am fine waiting until I know for sure I can get it delivered by year end, but I may end up canceling in December if I can’t get delivery. It would break my heart, but I would get one eventually ?
Rivian R1T R1S Official: Rivian Experience – Purchasing, Return Policy & Charging IMG_20210423_214308

That means you sold your primary residence and the profit was over $250k, or it was a secondary property and your profit exceeded $78,750. Either way, you have my thoughts and prayers for your capital gains.

If you need to sell any more "assets," I'll take that pre-order off your hands for a fair price ?

HalcyonRider

First Name
Segundo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pathfinder, R1200GSA
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
...luckily we don’t live in a centrally planned economy where things are decided for us, we live in a free market (thank God)...
Taking a risk here... Is it truly a free market when failing businesses (banks, automakers, aviation) are bailed out by a government who prints money at will? Saving jobs while squashing the upcoming businesses at the same time? Growing the GDP by keeping rates low and increasing debt?

Bumble1978

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2011 Nissan Leaf, 2009 Toyota Prius
Occupation
IT Manager
I was excited as this email seemed like Rivian finally has reached out, provided some time frames for different buckets of orders and set some expectations. I’m an early pre-order, but Max Pack R1T so I know I’m 2022...but summer test drive, and hopefully have the opportunity to look at colors, etc in person, this will be awesome. Half the fun of getting something like the R1T is the anticipation ?
Same boat. Have to keep reminding myself that not everyone has Patience as a Superpower like I do. ??✌❤???

Last edited:

Pherdnut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Mazda CX-9
I'm puzzled by all the pessimism. They're going to have reached out to everybody by Thanksgiving? So now we know it takes about 4-6 weeks turnaround time to process and build out an order, assuming they plan on wrapping LE deliveries in December. So if nobody hears anything by mid-May, then yes, maybe June launch is more like the very last day of June if they aren't building out popular configuration choices ahead of that, which is what I would do. I don't know about Hawaii, but everybody else is accessible by train, which Rivian has access to directly from their factory. If you're from a very low-volume area or state, I can't see why they wouldn't allow you to take delivery somewhere else if it speeds things up for you.

Just because they're hiring test drive folks now, doesn't mean they haven't already hired/trained enough to handle the early stages of the launch which will move slowly at first as they ramp up. Sightings are all over the place. We know they're finalizing the accessories. I'm psyched. I think we might see the first YouTubers showing off their R1Ts by mid-June.

Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I don't know about Hawaii, but everybody else is accessible by train, which Rivian has access to directly from their factory. If you're from a very low-volume area or state, I can't see why they wouldn't a
I think the issue is going to be with service, not physical delivery. They aren’t going to ship cars to Alaska, Hawaii or any other location until they feel confident they have the ability to service them in those locations. That’s going to take some time to scale up, and they likely won’t invest in certain areas unless/until they have sufficient demand there to justify it. It’s anyone’s guess how long it’s going to take. It’s a bit of a chicken-and-egg problem. Need demand to justify investment, but demand will be somewhat driven by availability and service capability.

Partnering with existing non-Rivian service centers and training up their service techs on Rivian in these lower demand areas would be one way to get scaled up quicker.

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
So no one is going to moan with me about the giant fob? Lol...

Its actually the first serious disappointment with Rivian...I guess I'll have to see it. Would be nice if your phone worked too so you could have the giant fob at home as a backup....

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T

Its actually the first serious disappointment with Rivian...I guess I'll have to see it. Would be nice if your phone worked too so you could have the giant fob at home as a backup....
I’m definitely not a fan of the size of the FOB. And, yes, your phone will work as well. It’ll be interesting to see if it connects via WiFi, Bluetooth or internet. If internet only then you’d need both the car and the phone located where they have an internet connection. That can be problematic in remote locations with poor cell service, underground parking garages, etc.

electruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 Rivian R1S

Phone, fob and wallet card. Rivian has previously shown an assortment of carabiner style fobs so maybe there will be a choice... or maybe this is the only fob. Well know soon.

Sponsored

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

It looks like it's similar to my Volvo fob. If I don't want the fob with me, I'm assuming I'll use my phone.

hola29

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
lol. I value my pocket space!

As long as there are other options I’m cool. But I am a tech guy. Bigger does not make something cool. Smaller and innovative does.

I am certain that if the key fob was half the size, another group of people (likely containing at least one or two of the folks now complaining that it is too large) would be questioning what in the world Rivian was thinking by letting such a puny fob see the light of day. In the past I will admit I've got bent out of shape about fairly minor decisions that manufacturer's have made in regards to a car I was interested in, but I never thought I'd see such a reaction to a key fob.

OP
OP
kanundrum

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

lol. I value my pocket space!

As long as there are other options I’m cool. But I am a tech guy. Bigger does not make something cool. Smaller and innovative does.

Its funny Im the opposite, to hell with shrinking things, function over form any day! Give me a phone with a 6,000mah battery that has 24 hours of hard use screen time! A nice phone is small but useless if it dies in 3 hours of screen on time, same with these vehicles ;).
Sponsored