First Name
Segundo
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pathfinder, R1200GSA
Occupation
Electrical Engineer
Yikes! That key fob is massive. Not sure what to think about that. Caribiner follows the theme but... I mean, I want to like it. I don't like carrying huge things in my pocket!
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
This is interesting - they’re likely going to low-ball the number because more than a few weeks will pass between finalizing the order and taking delivery. Most trade in offers from auto dealers only last around a week from what I’ve seen.
There are so many ways to get rid of cars these days, unless you live in a state that only taxes the difference of the purchase minus the trade (I'm in California, they tax the full purchase), not sure what benefit trading in would really be.

I honestly can't remember the last time I traded a car in when buying a new one.

On another note;

Do have to love the confidence to do a 7 day 1000 mile return policy. A lot of used car sales will have something like that because the cars are already used with miles on them.

I am not aware of any new car companies offering this as now they would have to sell any returned cars as used (or at least as demos).

I also would wonder if they are holding filing the paperwork on the sell for 7 days. Returning the car and getting the purchase price back is one thing but the registration fees would be something else.

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
You could always sell in a private sale where you're almost guaranteed to have a better return, but everyone's situation is different.
I agree, and I will at the very least shop around with other dealers a few days before my Rivian is delivered. Might also make sense to hold on to my current ride through the 7 day return period, cause you never know. I was just commenting on how I find it interesting that they are offering a trade in price so early on in the process vs. others.

azbill

First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
Having seen how well it went for the Mustang, adding it later seems like a good idea.
It will be interesting to see how all of this works with an onboard app. Today I pull up to the charger, turn my car off, and as soon as I open the car door to plug in the screen in the car turns off. Fortunately the app to initiate the charge is on my phone, so I swipe to charge from the phone, not from the car.

So if they implemented plug and charge, and it was not reliable, the backup is to use an app anyway, no harm in trying. For EA chargers, you have to plug in prior to trying to initiate the charge, so you have to get out of the vehicle.

Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
There are so many ways to get rid of cars these days, unless you live in a state that only taxes the difference of the purchase minus the trade (I'm in California, they tax the full purchase), not sure what benefit trading in would really be.
Washington state only taxes on the difference as far as I recall. However, my current ride is a lease so I will end up paying taxes on the buyout cost anyway. Unless dealers have a way of finagling out of that somehow.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
It will be interesting to see how all of this works with an onboard app. Today I pull up to the charger, turn my car off, and as soon as I open the car door to plug in the screen in the car turns off. Fortunately the app to initiate the charge is on my phone, so I swipe to charge from the phone, not from the car.

So if they implemented plug and charge, and it was not reliable, the backup is to use an app anyway, no harm in trying. For EA chargers, you have to plug in prior to trying to initiate the charge, so you have to get out of the vehicle.
I'll reserve judgement till I see how it works.

I've been spoiled by the Super Charger experience so obviously my expectations are going to be pretty high.

TXKidd

First Name
Harrison
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T pre-order
Did you just look at the main link or did you follow all the branches? Seems like there are quite a few new nuggets if you go through all the pages.
I clicked through to see what was fresh, and I appreciate that they’ve elaborated more on some of the previous info that has been released. There are also a few new tidbits that are nice to see.

We’re just getting mighty close to the current release timeframe and I’m eager for that new new info :cool:

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

I swear I'm getting tired of seeing Forest Green on nearly every "real world" photo Rivian puts on their website. Come on! It's silly enough that Launch Green is still in formulation, but show us some quality real-life photos of Yellow, Red, Black, and the grays.

Forest Green is a fabulous color, don't get me wrong. In fact, I struggle wondering how the LG will ever surpass FG for tonal character.

Sponsored

Pedritho

First Name
Peter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2016 Toyota Prius 2000 Toyota 4Runner
Yikes! That key fob is massive. Not sure what to think about that. Caribiner follows the theme but... I mean, I want to like it. I don't like carrying huge things in my pocket!
Isn't that the entire idea, you won't need this in your pocket since you will be able to clip it on to something like your belt loop or backpack?

szimmer624

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee Summit - Hemi, Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription
Occupation
Self-Employed
Was thinking the same. I put my grand Cherokee fob in my hand to compare sizing. It’s HUGE!
My wife’s Volvo came w a sport key and 2 normal keys. Maybe this is a sport key...

szimmer624

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee Summit - Hemi, Volvo XC90 T6 Inscription
Occupation
Self-Employed
Isn't that the entire idea, you won't need this in your pocket since you will be able to clip it on to something like your belt loop or backpack?
99 times out of 100, I’m not carrying an accessory around that I could clip this to.

IPTV65

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep JLU Sahara,Jeep JKU, Infiniti G37X, R1S
Occupation
Engineering Exec
Clubs

Was hoping my phone was my key and no Carabiner would be required. Though in general you don't hear many complaints of the battery dying in your carabiner!
Sponsored