2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
Officially I'm about 4.5 hours from either Normal or Cleveland if they have to fix something.
Doe that mean you pay for transporting your truck 4.5 hrs if it is not derivable post warranty?

Any Tesla owners in the house that had to do any work post warranty in similar situation?

All my repairs have been done 3 minutes away from my house in the past. Never put much thought in this.

CyberKentuckian

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'10 Tacoma
Occupation
Tech Sales
They finally added a list of official service centers! Still a giant void in my area.

https://rivian.com/support/article/where-are-rivian-service-centers-located

Just checked. Officially I'm about 4.5 hours from either Normal or Cleveland if they have to fix something. I'm hoping that unofficially there's something closer.
I'm in the same boat with Cleveland being nearest but still 4-4.5 hours drive away (basically entire length of Ohio since I'm on the other side of the river in Kentucky).

That being said, if they'd let me test drive or explore the vehicles for a while, I'd probably make the drive at the drop of a hat. So maybe it's not too far?

CyberKentuckian

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'10 Tacoma
Occupation
Tech Sales
Doe that mean you pay for transporting your truck 4.5 hrs if it is not derivable post warranty?

Any Tesla owners in the house that had to do any work post warranty in similar situation?

All my repairs have been done 3 minutes away from my house in the past. Never put much thought in this.
It can be an issue, in or out of warranty, depending on what you need. My experience here is pretty small, but I know Tesla roadside assistance caps at a 50-mile tow and the nearest center to us is about 90 miles away. Because we live in a very limited service area, none of Tesla's towing partners were available to do any towing anyway. As a result, we were 5 days (2 extra for the weekend) waiting on a tire to come in to a local shop and I jacked up the car, removed the tire, and took it in for replacement instead of having it towed.

That's roadside, and not repair, but it's still a problem.

I think the hope many of us likely share is that we can use mobile service for many minor issues and that Rivian will act in good faith during their build out by providing loaner vehicles or rentals if a vehicle needs to go in for repair.

This is something I definitely want to keep an eye on while I await my R1T.

OP
OP
OverZealous

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer

Yes, this is exactly what happens. I have had a Model S since 2015. Our nearest service center (still to this day) is Cincinnati. It has been frustrating the last few years since our warranty went out, as we've had to pay for 2 very expensive tows up to the service center, both for issues that shouldn't have left the factory, but we had to pay for both the tow and the repair.

Most of the time, Tesla does repairs with a ranger, including my second handle replacement (4th repair) just last week. This is fine as long as the repair is minor, and you can get on their service list.

(Tesla is supposedly opening a Louisville service center in July[ish], just in time for me to pay to replace the driver's screen that is now delaminating.)

I'm accepting this risk with Rivian for a couple reasons.
  1. I'm hopeful we'll get a service center closer sooner.
  2. The 5 year warranty gives me time to decide to bail before I have to pay for repair tows.
  3. I've learned my lesson with Tesla, and will most likely not keep this past warranty unless the truck appears to be holding up much better than my Tesla.
In hindsight, it was apparent very quickly that the Tesla would be need constant repairs.

Reactions: Max

Sponsored

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

This is not a complete list. My truck is currently in for service in Portland, OR.

swhme

First Name
Sam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
This field needs to be bigger, I’m at 10 cars…
Occupation
Nerd
Clubs

Where's Boston at? I know the SC there just came online this week.

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
This is not a complete list. My truck is currently in for service in Portland, OR.
That's correct. It is only ones that are officially operational without lacking any permits/licenses of any kind. E.g. Dallas has been delivering trucks and doing service from a temp location for over a month but isn't listed. They'll be adding to this list through the end of next year at least.

Guy

First Name
Guy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mazda 6, Toyota Sienna
Occupation
Scientist
Clubs

Finally they have added some information. They could add sites soon to open. I also want to know when additional hubs will open - one in seven months is poor.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Well, that certainly explains why California has gotten the bulk of deliveries, thus far.

Well, the warranty isn't bad at all with 5yr/60000mi for bumper to bumper and 8yr/175000mi for the battery. But, you can also look into insurance coverage that handles towing. Many ins. co. will let you customize the towing coverage for distance and overall costs.

I don't know about Rivian but you can probably buy extended coverage too.

But if that is still an issue, you can hold off on buying. BTW, those are just the service centers that are open. More are coming.

Max

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nissan Truck
BTW, those are just the service centers that are open. More are coming.
One of the guys mentioned Delaware is in the plans. Has Rivian shared plan for future? Trying to see if Maryland will get one in the next 5 years.

Jumacao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T PDM MP CY, Tesla Model Y, Energica Eva
Occupation
Legal
I'm unbelievably lucky to live 15 minutes from a service center, even though I don't live on a coast. Now if only they could start producing the max pack...

lmr

First Name
Lane
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
VW Passat B7, Rivian R1S
Occupation
Technical Product Management
Clubs

The Portland location they are working out of currently is the temporary staging location, as the permanent location is still in the permits approval process with city of Portland, ongoing since September, par for the course for Portland unfortunately...

jjswan33

First Name
Joshua
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Hyundai Ioniq 5 Limited
Occupation
Engineer
Clubs

The Portland location they are working out of currently is the temporary staging location, as the permanent location is still in the permits approval process with city of Portland, ongoing since September, par for the course for Portland unfortunately...
Yes I’m aware. I guess I should’ve been more clear.

My point was just because the nearest operating service center is x hours away doesn’t mean you will have to go that far for service.
Sponsored