First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Construction Cost Consultant
It's good to see them abandon the winch...for the same reason they should abandon the tonneau cover. There's a reason literally no other truck company offers an integrated electric tonneau cover - because it breaks easily. It's a better strategy to put the risk on the aftermarket crowd and simplify your design. Think of how many thousands less service tickets they'd have if the tonneau cover wasn't a thing. At the end of the day KISS wins out.
Sponsored

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
It's good to see them abandon the winch...for the same reason they should abandon the tonneau cover. There's a reason literally no other truck company offers an integrated electric tonneau cover - because it breaks easily. It's a better strategy to put the risk on the aftermarket crowd and simplify your design. Think of how many thousands less service tickets they'd have if the tonneau cover wasn't a thing. At the end of the day KISS wins out.
Ford is offering an auto tonneau with the ranger raptor. GM on the hummer ev. Posted a video of the ranger raptor tonneau in action a little while ago. Only mentioning since you said “literally no other truck company offers.”

Last edited:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
. At the end of the day KISS wins out.
On the other hand, this is a luxury vehicle. It’s supposed to have lots of gee whiz convenience features.

it’s not like they made a winch from scratch. It was fairly clear they were using warn units, for example.

Rivian_Hugh_III

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2008 Infiniti EX35
"at this time" Well, obviously, since it's not a configurable option currently.
I agree. That’s not an answer about the future, it’s an answer about the present. The last thing they want to do is freeze more purchases (after tonneaugate) but encouraging people to hold out for the iteration with a winch option. I say it’s still coming.

Sponsored

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

To me the odd thing is the placement - that leaves nowhere to mount a front license plate - which is required (and actually enforced) in many places.
Like every other winch out there, you can mount a flip up/down license plate bracket to the winch fairlead. I use the same for my Jeep.

Ford is offering an auto tonneau with the ranger raptor. GM on the hummer ev. Posted a video of the ranger raptor tonneau in action a little while ago. Only mentioning since you said “literally no other truck company offers.”
Rivian makes their tonneau cover that is highly integrated into the truck. That’s what no other OEMs does. Ford and GM are not making their tonneaus. They are just reselling one made by someone else.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
Seems like a recipe for disaster. Rivian doesn't have the 12v capacity for a winch, so the standard aftermarket doesn't have a ready-made solution where they just need to integrate a mounting system like most trucks. Does Rivian really want the aftermarket messing with their high voltage wiring? Maybe just wrap a cable around the front axle? Not sure which would be worse for the truck.

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

Seems like a recipe for disaster. Rivian doesn't have the 12v capacity for a winch, so the standard aftermarket doesn't have a ready-made solution where they just need to integrate a mounting system like most trucks. Does Rivian really want the aftermarket messing with their high voltage wiring? Maybe just wrap a cable around the front axle? Not sure which would be worse for the truck.
I also worry about taxing the 12V battery and trickle charging mechanism. Maybe someone will craft a tow hitch mount for a 120V winch like: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200371718_200371718
I can't find specs on power draw, so it might have to be paired with a portable battery power bank for short bursts of high power draw.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Rivian makes their tonneau cover that is highly integrated into the truck. That’s what no other OEMs does. Ford and GM are not making their tonneaus. They are just reselling one made by someone else.
Rivian's tonneau cover was designed and is produced by BOS Automotive Products in Rochester Hills. If you look them up on Google Maps, there are 1 star reviews that complain about delivering from them to Rivian in Normal.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I also worry about taxing the 12V battery and trickle charging mechanism. Maybe someone will craft a tow hitch mount for a 120V winch like: https://www.northerntool.com/shop/tools/product_200371718_200371718
I can't find specs on power draw, so it might have to be paired with a portable battery power bank for short bursts of high power draw.
I suspect trying to pull 400+ amps from the 12V system would be a spectacular failure. For this heavy of a vehicle, a 12,000-lb winch should be a minimum and they're power hungry.

On the other hand, using 400v from the battery, you're only needing 12 amps for the same power.

Sponsored

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Nope, but a 7,000+ lb vehicle stuck in the muck takes a LOT of power to break that suction and pull that weight. Usually, the rule of thumb is to have a winch rating 1.5x to 2x the weight of the vehicle. A snatch block is also helpful in these circumstances to help the pulling power (kinda like gear reduction).

johstacy

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
IT
Not a surprise, Rivian is not an off road company and it would be a distraction to stray into one. It took Toyota decades before they decided to start doing these things at the factory, which will start next year. But they have plenty of experience seeing how customers outfit their vehicles to base that from.

Rivian doesn't employ anyone with an offroad background. This is not an Ineos Grenadier, it's a fancy electric truck tech company.
A fancy electric truck that can rock crawl.... how much more off road can you get?

Blueassassin

First Name
Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

I really wanted the Winch bumper. Just like the awesome tonneau that's integrated into the truck better than any aftermarket item could have ever been. I was exited for that same kind of integration with the winch. We already knew about the app but think about this the truck would know that its winching forward and could control all 4 motors as needed as well. you could stand outside the truck and push which forward on the app it could pull itself out.