Sponsored

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Many people have been waiting for news on Rivian’s OEM winch and off-road bumper. There have been prototypes spotted in the wild and previously the app itself made reference to winch control.

Unfortunately, Rivian has abandoned development of an off-road bumper with winch integration.The Reddit mods have partnered with Rivian to address common questions and they answered the winch question today.

Definitely disappointing news for those who have been waiting. I’d guess that Rivian decided it made more sense to rely on the aftermarket.

For those who missed it earlier, here's the prototype:

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...ith-winch-and-extended-yellow-tow-hooks.1438/

Rivian R1T R1S Official: Factory OEM Off-Road Bumper and Winch Not Coming From Rivian rivian-r1t-yellow-tow-hooks-and-winch-1-
Sponsored

Last edited by a moderator:

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

"at this time" Well, obviously, since it's not a configurable option currently.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
It makes sense. They seem to finally realize job #1 should be just delivering as many vehicles as possible vs. allowing a bunch of customization that slows down production. Within reason, of course.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

Sponsored

DJG

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Various
Not a surprise, Rivian is not an off road company and it would be a distraction to stray into one. It took Toyota decades before they decided to start doing these things at the factory, which will start next year. But they have plenty of experience seeing how customers outfit their vehicles to base that from.

Rivian doesn't employ anyone with an offroad background. This is not an Ineos Grenadier, it's a fancy electric truck tech company.

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Totally off-topic, but if Rivian wants to “directly” answer owner/enthusiast inquiries, I’d rather see them do that here than on the un-navigable Reddit.

Derek

First Name
Derek
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3, R1T
Clubs

Many people have been waiting for news on Rivian’s OEM winch and off-road bumper. There have been prototypes spotted in the wild and previously the app itself made reference to winch control.

Unfortunately, Rivian has abandoned development of an off-road bumper with winch integration.The Reddit mods have partnered with Rivian to address common questions and they answered the winch question today.

Definitely disappointing news for those who have been waiting. I’d guess that Rivian decided it made more sense to rely on the aftermarket.

For those who missed it earlier, here's the prototype:

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...ith-winch-and-extended-yellow-tow-hooks.1438/

rivian-r1t-yellow-tow-hooks-and-winch-1-png.png
Ok aftermarket... Let's get to it!!

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
Makes me wonder if they accidentally winched the front bumper off in their test trials 😅

This isn't make or break for me but I'd love to see Rivian invest in something here, or third parties pick up on the provisions that Rivian seems to have made (since they called it "winch ready" for quite a while to preorder holders).

Sponsored

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

To me the odd thing is the placement - that leaves nowhere to mount a front license plate - which is required (and actually enforced) in many places.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
To me the odd thing is the placement - that leaves nowhere to mount a front license plate - which is required (and actually enforced) in many places.
Look at what the ford bronco does on the Everglades with winch. It ain’t pretty, but it does the job.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Now we need to get Warn to pick up the slack and spend my money for me
I reached out to Warn a couple months back and they said they didn't have anything in the pipeline.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Those places suck. Who cares.