Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Those places suck. Who cares.
They may suck, but if you live in one, and don't want to regularly have to pay $100+ tickets, you put on a front license plate.
Sponsored

Bbernardo

First Name
Bryant
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
08 Tacoma / 08 H3
Oof... the bumper/winch option was something I was really looking forward to. Guess the aftermarket will have to fill the void.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I really wanted the Winch bumper. Just like the awesome tonneau that's integrated into the truck better than any aftermarket item could have ever been. I was exited for that same kind of integration with the winch. We already knew about the app but think about this the truck would know that its winching forward and could control all 4 motors as needed as well. you could stand outside the truck and push which forward on the app it could pull itself out.
It’ll likely come in future. “We are not offering it at this time” means “later”, with most such things

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

The more Rivian removes from consideration the less they distinguish themselves from the coming competition.
Can’t argue with you that removing distinctive features may make Rivian less unique, but Rivian’s success in the next critical few years depends on ramping production, focusing on quality/customer experience, and building out the service centers. OEM winches and electric tonneaus aren’t mission critical to any of those key drivers of Rivian’s success/survival.

Rivian’s announcement months ago they were killing the 5-seat R1S option I had initially configured is still disappointing - but more than anything I want them to succeed.

HighVoltOverland

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GW/OC R1T | Tesla MY | Jeep Wrangler TJ
Occupation
Retired-ish
Clubs

sorry to necro a bit of a dead thread,
wanted to give some reasonable-ish feedback on the winch.

Rivian flat out can't make a winch work from factory.

I had the opportunity to pick the brain of a senior design lead at a SoCal overland meetup this weekend and he gave me some real world insight as to why it would never happen.

The biggest issue is if it is a factory option they are bound to all the crash safety limitations and requirements from the government.
They did reach out to AEV specifically to try to accomplish some sort of uplift partnership but they were unwilling to make that partnership happen.

I'm sure it's a different game for Ford, GM, and Stellantis, but I personally appreciate Rivian focusing on survival and growth and not OEM accessories.

So, it'll take some brave soul with a fab shop or some outfitter to either create a stealth kit or flat-out provide an aftermarket bumper to make the winch work.

(Also mentioned that is why they pulled the tent, because of the rivian name they had to provide a third brake light for complaince reasons)

also, the camp kitchen was being redisgned because the beta mules they made were around 8k a pop and fiscally unsustainable.

Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

I had the opportunity to pick the brain of a senior design lead at a SoCal overland meetup this weekend and he gave me some real world insight as to why it would never happen.

The biggest issue is if it is a factory option they are bound to all the crash safety limitations and requirements from the government.
They did reach out to AEV specifically to try to accomplish some sort of uplift partnership but they were unwilling to make that partnership happen.
OEM or aftermarket is fine, some of us just want a functional winch rated high enough for a 7000 lbs rig. One huge open question is whether or not the 12v system can even handle the current draw of a winch. I strongly suspect it can't given the small size of the batteries. We don't have any specs on the DC to DC converter that charges the 12v batteries, but I doubt it has enough output either.

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I'm sure it's a different game for Ford, GM, and Stellantis, but I personally appreciate Rivian focusing on survival and growth and not OEM accessories.

So, it'll take some brave soul with a fab shop or some outfitter to either create a stealth kit or flat-out provide an aftermarket bumper to make the winch work.

(Also mentioned that is why they pulled the tent, because of the rivian name they had to provide a third brake light for complaince reasons)

also, the camp kitchen was being redisgned because the beta mules they made were around 8k a pop and fiscally unsustainable.
Nothing but good news....

seanocono

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X Plaid, Tesla Model Y Performance
Clubs

Did you happen to ask him about the redesigned powered tonneau cover? Or how the manual tonneau cover works and when it will be released?

I’m also based in SoCal. Is there a way to find out what other Expos Rivian is attending?

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Has anyone used a winch that's the style of the concept we've seen photos of where it's hidden behind the bumper? I was untangling an air hose reel last night and it made me question whether or not it's even a good idea to have one hidden behind the fairlead that much without easy access to it.

staytuned

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Has anyone used a winch that's the style of the concept we've seen photos of where it's hidden behind the bumper? I was untangling an air hose reel last night and it made me question whether or not it's even a good idea to have one hidden behind the fairlead that much without easy access to it.
Pros and cons to each in my experience. With a hidden winch: It stays cleaner, more protected, but it's a proper pain to know if you're making a big bound up mess when spooling in.

One mount I had made it impossible to get at the clutch... never again

Sponsored

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

One mount I had made it impossible to get at the clutch... never again
The Rivian design was like that. So many assumed it was fully intended for the Warn Zeon Platinum series since I think it's the only winch out there with an electronic clutch.

boardthatpowder

First Name
Dean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Audi Q5
The Rivian design was like that. So many assumed it was fully intended for the Warn Zeon Platinum series since I think it's the only winch out there with an electronic clutch.
After Rivian announced they were not bringing it to market at the moment I reached out to Warn to see if they had anything from the Rivian partnership they may be releasing themselves. Their reply which I found surprising was that to their knowledge there has be no partnership in developing a Rivian specific winch. Is might have been a completely off the shelf Warn winch that Rivian were trying to build around.

uthatch

First Name
Uri
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X Plaid, Model Y, Bronco - sold for R1T
Hidden winches are a PIA in a lot of ways. I had a Zeon mounted in the rear of a Raptor, taking the space where the spare was. It was a really thought out kit I bought, mounted well, had sides and seemed good.

Except that the winch needs to have the power switch flipped on it every once in a while. So that would involve taking the sides off of the box that the winch was in and reaching in and flipping the stupid switch. All while laying in the worst possible place (obviously if a winch is needed). It was pretty much a nightmare.

RivianXpress

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Sprinter, TE300i, R1250GSA, KTM 500, 790
Occupation
Retired Engineer
I wonder if the new Dual Motor design will allow room under the frunk for a winch.

I listened to a podcast with a Rivian designer and he mentioned there will be more space because the Quad motors take up a lot of room.

Inquiring minds want to know...
Sponsored