Official Announcement: R1S Max Pack/Enduro/390 mile range

Jumacao

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T PDM MP CY, Tesla Model Y, Energica Eva
Occupation
Legal
These guys have had 4 years to get out the original max pack, and they can't even give us delivery dates for that yet. You expect me to believe that they'll release this in 7-9 months from announcement?
Sponsored

mkennedy1996

First Name
Max
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Model X, Model Y
The Max Pack adds another 16k in the R1T configurator, presumably the price will be roughly the same on the R1S. Having driven an EV since 2018, I wouldn't pay that much for just 69 miles more EPA range, but everyone's use case is different.
I believe the max pack adds $10k over the large pack (adds 69 miles) [$145 for every extra mile of range] and adds $16k over the standard pack (adds 140 miles) [$114 for every extra mile of range].

LoneStar

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Launch Ed.
Occupation
engineer
Clubs

I may be knit-picking but he said the R1S Max "preserves the 3rd row 7-seat configuration" but didn't say it still has fold-flat (almost) capability. If the Max extra batteries occupies the fold-down volume then I would be way turned-off.

NineElectrics

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Takeaways from this announcement:

- they still have a major battery supply problem, and thus prioritizing the higher margin R1S for Max Pack over the R1T (or so I assume based on the tweet). They really screwed up their Samsung deal. They should have locked in supply before the pandemic, but they didnā€™t. Now everyone wants batteries and theyā€™re too small to be anywhere but the end of the line
- the R1T Max Pack should give significantly more range, assuming they actually put more battery in it as they originally promised. Not much in the way of structural battery changes for the R1 here
- who knows, they could have added all of this extra range with only improved motors and a transmission, like the Taycan. Maybe a slight tweak to the chemistry at some cost to margins, but the same cell count. A transmission is a great reason never to provide a Max Pack for quad motor. If thatā€™s the only way they can do Max Pack due to a battery supply problem, thatā€™s a lot of transmissions if youā€™re on four motors

Last edited:

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I am pretty tempted to switch to the max pack if the price is reasonable. I wonder what it would do to the tax refund status on my ā€œpurchase agreementā€ from Aug ā€˜22.
There are too many moving parts here....

Sponsored

R1Sky Business

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

These guys have had 4 years to get out the original max pack, and they can't even give us delivery dates for that yet. You expect me to believe that they'll release this in 7-9 months from announcement?
Not drinking the Kool-aid......

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
there is no pre-march pricing for anything that didn't exist in the configurator pre-march.
This is false.

They added the vegan dash option as well as the option to add PPF to pre march orders.

The max pack was an option on the R1T, so there is a pricing structure there.

And they have established a pricing adjustment for going fron quad to dual for r1t max pack orders, they just refuse to offer that up despite seemingly making financial sense to Rivian.

goldburger

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
This is false.

They added the vegan dash option as well as the option to add PPF to pre march orders.

The max pack was an option on the R1T, so there is a pricing structure there.

And they have established a pricing adjustment for going fron quad to dual for r1t max pack orders, they just refuse to offer that up despite seemingly making financial sense to Rivian.
the vegan dash was added later and is free for everyone. i can't be for sure but wasn't the price for ppf the same for everyone as well, regardless of when you ordered? they didn't announce two different prices for it i believe.

but about the truck, there was quad max pricing and not dual max pricing, since dual didn't exist. a pricing adjustment is a pricing adjustment and it's great, but it's not a price that existed before march. semantics, sure, but factual! ;)

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
the vegan dash was added later and is free for everyone. i can't be for sure but wasn't the price for ppf the same for everyone as well, regardless of when you ordered? they didn't announce two different prices for it i believe.

but about the truck, there was quad max pricing and not dual max pricing, since dual didn't exist. a pricing adjustment is a pricing adjustment and it's great, but it's not a price that existed before march. semantics, sure, but factual! ;)
Right, but those options were added after March without removing all of the other pre-March prices. If someone wants to downgrade to a large pack dual motor R1T they have to accept all post-March pricing. Which winds up being a roughly $9k increase above the pre-March cost for a Quad motor large pack. You get forced into a higher large pack cost, higher paint costs etc.

Sponsored

Better Late than Never

First Name
Billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2005 Toyota 4Runner
Occupation
Desk jockey
If they could get to a 6 seater with 2nd row captains chairs that'd be the option I'd jump at. 320 miles of range is plenty. Sure I'm peaking over the hedges at 390 or 400 and feeling envious but I'm fine at 300-320.

Yossarian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Telluride, Wee-Strom, Lynskey Cooper
I was holding on to my 5/2020 R1T Max reservation solely because of the added range. When Rivian sent the email notifying us Max holdouts that the QM version was indefinitely deferred, I changed my reservation to a quad/large pack R1S. Since we don't really need the performance of the quad, I'd consider a DM R1S Max if some vestige of the preferential pricing my early reservation provides is preserved. This was the case for the DM R1T Max which was offered to pre-March reservation holders at a slight discount over the QM.

That said, my misgivings about going with a newly designed motor coupled with a battery of different configuration than used in previous models remain. I'm eager to see more details from Rivian on the R1S Max though.

Headingley

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
X5 35d
Occupation
Surgeon
When I saw this video, my first thought was that it's even more unlikely that I'm going to get my LE quadmotor R1S.

I suspect once Rivian's enduro units are tested and ready to use they are not going to devote resources to build quadmotor configurations.

Last edited:

JWreck

First Name
Josh
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (pre-ordered, Audi RS5 Sportback
Occupation
IT
When I saw this video, my first thought was that it's even more unlikely that I'm going to get my LE quadmotor R1S.

I suspect once Rivian's enduro units are tested and ready to use they are not going to devote resources to build quadmotor configurations.
Iā€™ve been staying positive for a while but I may be starting to put on that same tinfoil hat tooā€¦

I just canā€™t believe they would prioritize my more costly, lower priced quad motor R1S over the newer options for people paying moreā€¦Iā€™ve started keeping my eye out on auctions for the R1S

Jac

First Name
Jacob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Volvo XC40, Honda VFR1200X
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I have so many questions about the forthcoming offer from Rivian to pre-March 1 R1S pre-order holders to switch to the dual motor Enduro with max pack configuration. One question for those of you with an engineering background: how likely is it that the dual motor configuration R1S will also include a CV/half-shaft redesign that will not ā€œtockā€ or require ongoing grease treatments, etc.?
Sponsored