Sponsored

Official Announcement of Georgia Plant Expected Tomorrow [Atlanta Journal-Constitution]

ggreeneva

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Subaru Outback
Occupation
Digital communications
Posted in the last hour:

Gov. Brian Kemp’s office has called a special news conference Thursday afternoon where he is expected to formally announce electric vehicle maker Rivian will build a $5 billion factory east of Atlanta.

Kemp, senior economic development officials and representatives of Irvine, California-based Rivian are expected to gather at Liberty Plaza at the State Capitol at 4 p.m., The Atlanta Journal-Constitution has learned.
Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Now... Gov. Kemp and senior economic development officials... can you please eliminate the restrictions on direct sales in the state? (Tesla currently has a specific exception, but no others do.)

DeafPug

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
The direct sales restrictions are so bizarre. It will be satisfying to watch the dealer networks collapse when they go.
The existing dealers for existing manufacturers won't go away if the dealer restriction laws are revoked across the country. The existing dealers have contracts with their associated manufacturers that prohibit the manufacturers from selling direct to the consumer. The dealer protection laws force NEW MANUFACTURERS that don't have these contacts with dealers in place to only sell through dealers.

If the laws go away, Ford, Chevy, GM, will all still be sold through dealers. However, Tesla, Rivian, Aptera, and any brand new manufacturers that haven't established independent dealer networks would not be forced to follow the same suit.

ChrissyOne

First Name
Chrissy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX350, R1T Pre-order
Occupation
Creative Production Manager at Wizards of the Coast
Oh certainly, but dealer networks are built around not only the traditional sales / flooring model, but also around the service model, which EVs are likely to massively disrupt. They said bookstores would never go away either, but I worked for a company that did a pretty good job at putting most of them out of business.
I think we're going to see a massive sea change in the auto market like we've seen in retail. If the OEMs are caught flat footed, they're simply going to go under. The extent to which they are able to adapt will determine if they can weather the change. It's going to happen faster than anyone expects. At least, that's what I think.

Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

Collusion!

fastwheels

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, C8 Z06, GT-350
A U T O S
Sources: Rivian to build $5B electric truck plant
ATLANTA (AP) — Electric vehicle maker Rivian Automotive will announce Thursday that it’s building a $5 billion battery and assembly plant east of Atlanta that’s projected to employ 7,500 workers, sources briefed on the decision told The Associated Press.
Rivian, based in Irvine, California, is a startup manufacturer of electric trucks and commercial delivery vans, challenging both established automakers like Ford and General Motors and electric vehicle leader Tesla.
The plant could grow to as many as 10,000 workers, sources said, which would make it among the largest auto assembly complexes in the United States, rivaled by behemoths such as the 11,000-worker BMW complex in Spartanburg, South Carolina, and Ford Motor Co.’s 8,600-worker plant in Louisville, Kentucky.
Rivian will be the largest industrial announcement in Georgia history, surpassing the 4,400-worker Kia complex that opened in West Point in 2009. Georgia has had a number of failed auto plant recruitments. Rivian will give Georgia Gov. Brian Kemp another point to bolster his claims that he has been an excellent steward of Georgia’s economy, even as faces Republican and Democratic challengers when he runs for reelection next year.
The city of Fort Worth, Texas, offered Rivian a $440 million incentive package to lure the plant during the summer, while published reports indicate Rivian also considered sites in Arizona and Michigan.
Rivian told Fort Worth its plant would make 200,000 vehicles per year, with workers paid at least $56,000 a year.
The Atlanta Journal-Constitution was the first to report Rivian’s decision.
Founder and CEO Robert Scaringe told Bloomberg Television in November that the ability to recruit good workers was the most important factor in the decision. Rivian’s existing plant in Normal, Illinois, like most auto plants that have opened in recent decades, is not unionized.
Georgia officials are unlikely to detail the full incentive package offered to Rivian on Thursday, but the company could max out what Georgia calls its “mega project tax credit,” for companies that hire at least 1,800 people or invest at least $450 million. That could be worth $118 million in state income tax credits.

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Oh certainly, but dealer networks are built around not only the traditional sales / flooring model, but also around the service model, which EVs are likely to massively disrupt. They said bookstores would never go away either, but I worked for a company that did a pretty good job at putting most of them out of business.
I think we're going to see a massive sea change in the auto market like we've seen in retail. If the OEMs are caught flat footed, they're simply going to go under. The extent to which they are able to adapt will determine if they can weather the change. It's going to happen faster than anyone expects. At least, that's what I think.
EVs not requiring service is a myth. My Tesla has required service once or twice a year as long as I've owned it, and just came back from a week and a half at the service center.

ChrissyOne

First Name
Chrissy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lexus RX350, R1T Pre-order
Occupation
Creative Production Manager at Wizards of the Coast
EVs not requiring service is a myth. My Tesla has required service once or twice a year as long as I've owned it, and just came back from a week and a half at the service center.
Not exactly a stunning endorsement. No ICE vehicle I've ever owned has been in the shop for a week and a half. But of course EVs will need some maintenance. It will be interesting to see how they fare when made by companies with better build quality.

Sponsored

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
I think we need to differentiate between service and repair. Your Tesla does not need service that frequently, it needs repair which is indifferent to EV/ICE. What people mean regarding service is the following with prices from the service I just had on my Infiniti JX35:

Oil Changes ($132)
Brake replacement ($430 per axle)
Cooling System Flush ($350)
Differential System Flush ($220)
Fuel Induction Service ($350)

That's almost $1,100 in fluids that an EV will never have. Brakes may never need replacing in an EV, so that's another $800 or so a few times over 10 years.

On the other hand, EVs will go through tires much faster than an ICE car, especially if you take advantage of the torque, but even if you don't because of the weight. You should expect to replace tires every 20k-25k miles instead of 50k, so that's probably a wash with the brakes.

Last edited:

Rob Stark

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla Model S
Oil Changes ($132)
Brake replacement ($430 per axle)
Cooling System Flush ($350)
Differential System Flush ($220)
Fuel Induction Service ($350)
They put a $5-$18 bottle of fuel injection cleaner in your fuel tank and charged you $350?

Because I highly doubt they removed the fuel injectors and throttle body and cleaned them by hand on an ~8 year old Infiniti. Even if they did that should not cost more than $150.

If you were keeping that Infiniti I would highly suggest looking through Yelp for a good local independent mechanic.

Those are just silly rip off prices.

RideAlong

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
20 Porsche Panamera S + 19 Ford F-150
Occupation
Dentist
and heaven forbid if collision damage / bodywork occurs ! ?. .. if it's totaled then it's back to the end of wait list for years to get another .. shudder even the thought.

Dbeglor

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes
They put a $5-$18 bottle of fuel injection cleaner in your fuel tank and charged you $350?

Because I highly doubt they removed the fuel injectors and throttle body and cleaned them by hand on an ~8 year old Infiniti. Even if they did that should not cost more than $150.

If you were keeping that Infiniti I would highly suggest looking through Yelp for a good local independent mechanic.

Those are just silly rip off prices.
Oh, I declined all of it except the oil change and the front axle brakes. The rest were not immediately critical, they were "sometime soon" suggestions based on time and mileage, and I agree I can probably find them cheaper somewhere else but that also involves my time and headache to track down for a vehicle I'm getting rid of soon anyway. I included them as reference point for what I look forward to never paying for again, regardless of the cost.

I did get a free loaner for a month though because it took them 3.5 weeks to even look at it, which is nice.
Sponsored