kyunam

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1999 LS 400, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
not sure what I'm doing
Clubs

I'm a R1S LE holder and I chose 22' because I mostly drive on CA-91 to transport the family between Inland Empire and Laguna beach.

Now $1800 charge is dropped for R1S folks who wish to have R1T 20' wheels, reviews on Pirelli scorpion all terrain plus indicate that they are pretty quiet on roads, and most importantly, this forum taught me how to enjoy life and got me excited about off roading which I have no experience at all, so I am leaning toward 20' strongly.

Here goes a newbie question to off-roaders. How often do you do wheel alignments?

I guess it depends on the types of off-roading you do but alignments do get messed up time to time from off-roading, right? If I go to an off-road trail with optional medium rock crawling here and there and I do those, the rule of thumb is to get alignment service each time after? (I will buy that life time wheel alignment package from Firestone)

Thanks!
Sponsored

kneebuster

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 Hyundai Tucson Plug-in Hybrid
Occupation
Professor
An alignment after every wheeling adventure is overkill. I wheeled my Xterra pretty hard and never had it go significantly out of alignment. I did have the lifetime from Firestone, and typically got it aligned annually, but the adjustments were never big.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

I don't know how often you should, but I don't think it's worth your time to do after every time. I do mine pretty rarely on my old 4runner and it is never all that out with quite a bit of offroading. Maybe start with once or twice a year and evaluate how far out it is each time?

skyote

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeeps, 2500HD Duramax, R1S Preorder (Dec 2018)
You're more likely to throw off alignment by hitting a pothole at higher speed than when off roading.

I am a big fan of the lifetime alignment deals for any vehicle you intend to keep for awhile, because it has normally paid for itself after 2 alignments. There are two times when I take vehicles in for alignments, 1) if you notice a consistent pull to one side, & 2) as soon as I install a new set of tires.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
I only do alignments as needed - if the vehicle is driving weird, tire wear is unusual, or tires have been changed.
otherwise it’s overkill.

I would not trust Firestone or similar to properly align something they dont do daily.
Sponsored