Sponsored

Off roading using the road or sport tires?

basedRNC

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Wondering if I really need to get A/T tires or can get away with sport or road tires. The range reduction on A/T is discouraging!
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Wondering if I really need to get A/T tires or can get away with sport or road tires. The range reduction on A/T is discouraging!
Really depends on what you use the vehicle for.

I’m getting the 22s on my R1S, I am replacing a Jeep GC that I use on road 90% of the time, do some occasional fire roads and SoCal deserts, I have similar all season on the Jeep and never had an issue and the sidewall on the 22s is about the same size on the Jeep with 20s.

If you are doing any hardcore trails or off reading you probably want the ATs

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
You didn't provide any details at all about your driving habits.....

Have you had AT tires in the past? Have you ever gotten stuck or otherwise felt you needed ATs on a previous vehicle? Do you plan on off roading in snow or mud?

Sometimes you don't know you need ATs until it's too late.

OP
OP

basedRNC

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
You didn't provide any details at all about your driving habits.....

Have you had AT tires in the past? Have you ever gotten stuck or otherwise felt you needed ATs on a previous vehicle? Do you plan on off roading in snow or mud?

Sometimes you don't know you need ATs until it's too late.
I drive a ranger now, and it has A/T tires. We do a little snow and mud driving on occasion. Sometimes not by choice. So maybe I'll just go for the A/T tires then.

Does anyone actually have the A/T tire and can comment on real-world impact on range? Especially in winter months when efficiency is also down?

swaggner

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW X3M / Rivian R1T (future)
Clubs

This video convinced me that the 22s will be totally fine for occasional off roading:

Sponsored

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I drive a ranger now, and it has A/T tires. We do a little snow and mud driving on occasion. Sometimes not by choice. So maybe I'll just go for the A/T tires then.

Does anyone actually have the A/T tire and can comment on real-world impact on range? Especially in winter months when efficiency is also down?
I have the AT tires but I'm in SoCal with temperatures only dropping to the 40s so probably representing the most idealistic scenario. My real world range is in line with what Rivian advertises. About 280 on a fully charged battery or 195 at the daily 70% charge. If you use conserve mode you can increase it a bit.

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

I am in Oregon and get about 193 miles on 70% with 20" ATs.

Why is the drop in range discouraging? Are you in situations where the extra 30-40miles w/o charging is a deal breaker? Or is it more about increase in costs (due to decreased efficiency).

From my perspective I was all set to have "range anxiety" as this was my first EV. But it's actually only happened once, and in retrospect I was being silly and it wasn't even justified.

I've done a couple of 2,500ish mile road trips in the truck and about 8,000 miles in "normal" driving since the end of may - so I have put some time behind the wheel and for me I've never missed the extra range of the 21's (and I'm not stuck with ugly wheels and tires :p).

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Mud and tall/sharp rocks are the biggest problem for non-AT tires. If where you're at doesn't have either of those things, go nuts.

OP
OP

basedRNC

First Name
JB
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tacoma
Why is the drop in range discouraging? Are you in situations where the extra 30-40miles w/o charging is a deal breaker? Or is it more about increase in costs (due to decreased efficiency).
I think it's more just range anxiety. I plan to take it on long road trips (4-500 miles) and will just need to plan carefully.

Sponsored

s4wrxttcs

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
I have 21" Street tires as that's how the dice fell when I locked in my config. I was going back and forth due to internal conflict over the two choices.

When I made the decision my thinking was I would rarely need it off-road, and most of my pull towards the AT was for looks as I really liked the AT with Black rims. It's like a proper R1T.

After taking delivery I was pretty overjoyed with real world range so that solidified my choice.

But, then I made the mistake of taking it off-road and discovering how much fun that was.

My plan is to simply be careful of rocks while off-road.

My long term plan is to replace them with 20" AT's

Or maybe I'll swap from AT's to more winter suitable 21's during winter months.

W1SE

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Ford Bronco, 2018 VW Atlas
Occupation
Branch manager
Clubs

I have 21s. Did snow fantastically while off roading. Would AT be better, yes. But realistically I drive 99% on hard road.

the only time I think AT are really needed on a rivian is 1 of 2 things.

1. AT 20s look better.
2. Off roading with big rocks. They will chew up 21s pretty bad. But snow, gravel and light to medium off roading if fine with 21s IMO.

Rivian R1T R1S Off roading using the road or sport tires? 8E6D4C62-FCE8-4FD0-9B31-BCB2CBE30096
Sponsored