Off Road Package Weight

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
I saw this on Reddit. Supposedly this is from a R1T, Large Pack with off road package (the only configuration I think anyone has seen). If I’m recalling correctly, Rivian states payload of 1760 lbs? This R1T states payload of 1419 which would give off road package a weight of ~341 lbs. I have my build as a Max pack and have asked on several occasions how much is the payload reduction? Each time I’ve been told it maintains a payload of 1760 which is highly unusual if true. After seeing a reduced payload for off road package, I’m highly doubtful payload will not be reduced significantly for the Max pack.

Sponsored

Riventures

First Name
Ft
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eTron GT
Occupation
Management Consultant
Suppose you have four people with avg. weight of 200 lbs each (total 800 lbs), and you carry a large hard-shell rooftop tent (150 lbs). That still leaves you with 470 lbs for carrying gear, cloths, kitchen system, spare parts maybe, etc. That should be enough, no?

Babbuino

First Name
Manuel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A3
Occupation
DESIGN engineer
I saw this on Reddit. Supposedly this is from a R1T, Large Pack with off road package (the only configuration I think anyone has seen). If I’m recalling correctly, Rivian states payload of 1760 lbs? This R1T states payload of 1419 which would give off road package a weight of ~341 lbs. I have my build as a Max pack and have asked on several occasions how much is the payload reduction? Each time I’ve been told it maintains a payload of 1760 which is highly unusual if true. After seeing a reduced payload for off road package, I’m highly doubtful payload will not be reduced significantly for the Max pack.

Similar payload as a TRX or Raptor.

OP
OP

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Similar payload as a TRX or Raptor.
Yes, it’s not bad, just wanting Rivian to share important information and not give false information as they have given me. We will be towing our small camper so just trying to determine what our payload capacity actually is for a Max Pack. If the Max Pack further diminishes payload I may just stick with the Large Pack. Rivian could solve all of this and just published full specs like every other manufacturer does.

Riventures

First Name
Ft
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eTron GT
Occupation
Management Consultant
Yes, it’s not bad, just wanting Rivian to share important information and not give false information as they have given me. We will be towing our small camper so just trying to determine what our payload capacity actually is for a Max Pack. If the Max Pack further diminishes payload I may just stick with the Large Pack. Rivian could solve all of this and just published full specs like every other manufacturer does.
Raptor's published payload is 1400 lbs, but actual deliveries show around 11-1200 lbs. The options on the vehicle vary the payload. So, always assume about 80% of the published number for a given vehicle. Rivian is providing information per regulations, not playing games in this specific case, at least I do not think so.

Additionally, if you are going to tow a mini-camper, most likely some of the 'stuff' you will carry otherwise, would be put into the camper, hence reducing overall payload with a smaller increase in tongue weight. I am assuming.

Sponsored

DucRider

First Name
Gary
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, Ioniq, R1S
Might be related to the 20 inch wheel option as well. They (and the 22s) have a lower load rating than the 21s.

Ralph

First Name
Ralph
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Outback
I too am anxious to hear how they have engineered the max pack and whether it affects payload. I think it almost certainly does.

BTW - When towing, payload is reduced by the tongue weight of what you are towing. That is the dirty secret of the ability to to 11000 lbs - you are almost immediately out payload with a driver and nothing else.

A more practical example:
  • Acouple of adults - 350
  • Off road package - 340
  • 5000 lb trailer - tongue weight 650-750
You can see what you have (don't have) left for gear, pets, gear, etc.

And although you would not need the gear tunnel kitchen pulling a traditional camper, those think of pulling a toy hauler or horse trailer might. And it too will reduce payload.

Payload is a lot like range - the different factors are cumulative.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I too am anxious to hear how they have engineered the max pack and whether it affects payload. I think it almost certainly does.

BTW - When towing, payload is reduced by the tongue weight of what you are towing. That is the dirty secret of the ability to to 11000 lbs - you are almost immediately out payload with a driver and nothing else.

• Off road package - 340

And although you would not need the gear tunnel kitchen pulling a traditional camper, those think of pulling a toy hauler or horse trailer might. And it too will reduce payload.

It wouldn't surprise me if they maintain the payload with the Max pack. Just depends on what the limiting factor is.

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram

• Off road package - 340

1/2 ton towing capacity is almost always driven with a driver and a full tank of gas.

I don't think the package is that heavy. However, you do have a concern. above 5,000 you can also use weight distribution equipment to get that weight off the rear axle.

The payload of the Rivian is not that far off a modern (loaded) 1/2 ton, and I never have anyone in the vehicle other than my dogs either so I never worried about it much.

Last edited:

pc500

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
dodge ram
It wouldn't surprise me if they maintain the payload with the Max pack. Just depends on what the limiting factor is.
I suspect the max pack will have a different GVWR. They already have multiple GVWR ranges available in the vin registrations.

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer
I suspect the max pack will have a different GVWR. They already have multiple GVWR ranges available in the vin registrations.
Agreed
Sponsored