Off Road Package for R1T LE ?

NmbrsNvrLie

First Name
Ryan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Mustang Mach-E GT
Debating whether I should add to my R1T LE. Going with Rivian Blue with the 20 ATs. City boy and doubt I ever take it off road, just wondering if I should spend it now in case I ever resell it since you can’t add it after production. Curious how many people really see it as essential?
Sponsored

Craigins

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Software engineer
Clubs

Debating whether I should add to my R1T LE. Going with Rivian Blue with the 20 ATs. City boy and doubt I ever take it off road, just wondering if I should spend it now in case I ever resell it since you can’t add it after production. Curious how many people really see it as essential?
Almost a 50/50 split on people ordering it according to the survey.

https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1V_hZG-E2VYikIvVaKqTkrxwr6P8Y3Bol7KT35JL7Sf8/viewanalytics

I'm getting it mainly for the tow hooks.

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
I'm kind of in the same boat. I have it on my config, but I don't think I'll ever really need it. I'd really like to see the truck in person without the tow hooks. Seems like it'd feel incomplete without them.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I have it configured on my R1S, I don’t think I will ever need it but feel it will make it more desirable if I go to sell it.

svet-am

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S (Launch Edition Preorder)
Occupation
Embedded Systems Engineer
I have it configured on my R1S, I don’t think I will ever need it but feel it will make it more desirable if I go to sell it.
I have it configured on my LE R1S mostly because I live in Colorado and I am wanting any extra amount of protection for the batteries I can get. I am also wanting the tow hooks for winter time.

Sponsored

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
The cost of options will depreciate at the same rate (if not more) as the vehicle, so you will never get your full $2k back for it. If you plan to never use it it will be a loss.

I personally am in a similar boat, but the way I am looking at it is that if I get it then I might actually venture out off road more often. Definitely will not push the vehicle to its limits but the $2k is a “loss” I’m willing to stomach just to have that option.

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
The cost of options will depreciate at the same rate (if not more) as the vehicle, so you will never get your full $2k back for it. If you plan to never use it it will be a loss.

I personally am in a similar boat, but the way I am looking at it is that if I get it then I might actually venture out off road more often. Definitely will not push the vehicle to its limits but the $2k is a “loss” I’m willing to stomach just to have that option.
I am not thinking it will increase the sale price used, only that it may increase the desirability in the used market and make it more salable.

Not so concerned about the 2k as it was already in the vehicle I originally budgeted for.

Rousie13

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Tesla Model Y
Occupation
Engineer
I would also like to see the truck in person with and without the tow hooks. I am most likely opting not to get the off road package, but I haven’t completely ruled it out. I currently have the 20” A/T configured, but most likely with change to the 21” or 22” wheels. I have to be honest with myself and say that there is a 98% chance that this thing will never go off road, so I’d rather have the better range/on road performance.

If you want the items then I would get them for yourself, but I’m not configuring it for “resale”. We just trade in or do Carvana/vroom, so I’ve found the some options don’t matter too much when getting trade in prices on your vehicle.

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Configure your vehicle based on your NEEDS. Not for resale value. I’ve got the off road pack simply because I’m in Colorado and I will be off roading regularly. Otherwise I wouldn’t have bothered.

Sponsored

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I'm configuring the off-road package and the 22" street wheels. Wheels can be changed after delivery but I don't think the off-road package can be added on after the fact.

If I actually end up doing serious off-road stuff, I plan on getting beadlock rims, something that's not offered from the OEM anyway.

moosetags

First Name
SuEllyn & Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T; 2020 Chevy Duramax; 1956 Ford Tbird
Occupation
Retired
Clubs

I was just researching the off-road package on the Rivian website. There is a good picture of an R1T without the tow hooks in the "configure" section on the website. I like it just as well without the tow hooks.

I also noticed something that I had not seen before. The outside rearview mirrors on the Adventure Package have backs that are body color. On the Explore Package, they are black.

Brian

sevengroove

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Launch Edition
I am not thinking it will increase the sale price used, only that it may increase the desirability in the used market and make it more salable.

Not so concerned about the 2k as it was already in the vehicle I originally budgeted for.
Perhaps it matters for private sales, but as @Rousie13 mentioned you can always trade in to carvana or vroom or any other dealer and they will gladly take your vehicle. So in those situations the “desirability” of the off-road package isn’t relevant.

gd_r1t

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Product manager
My two cents: buy or don't buy the off-road package purely based on your own needs.

Rivians, and EV trucks/SUVs in general, will be in such limited supply for years, the options will not make a difference in terms of making it more desirable or sellable on the used market.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Perhaps it matters for private sales, but as @Rousie13 mentioned you can always trade in to carvana or vroom or any other dealer and they will gladly take your vehicle. So in those situations the “desirability” of the off-road package isn’t relevant.
Why wouldn't a car resale place factor in the packages to the price they are willing to pay you? The VIN will pull up all of the equipment on the vehicle.
Sponsored