First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
Well since many of us are now at least contemplating moving on to the competition, I would like to make an attempt at some form of summary of the current status of our choices. I am only interested in vehicles with at least some degree of trustworthy off road capabilities. I am not interested in anything like the Model X/Y, Taycan, Ioniq 5, and long list of other "competitors" just because they are in the same BEV price range for daily use. There are a couple of good threads on some individual head to head comparisons. Here is a list of what I'll be happy to fill in and update on my original post for each choice with any details anyone can share. TBD is obviously the correct answer for most of them, but I can qualify with speculated vs announced. I already filled in what until recently was a clear first choice for many of us. I would rather add links to current threads for detailed discussions on capabilities and reasons to choose one over the other. For this summary I'm just trying to get a feel for what is it, what it costs, and when can I get it?

1. Manufacturer/model
2. Price range
3. Currently available to order/reserve or expected date range to order
4. Year stated expected deliveries to start
5. Current expected delivery year if ordered TODAY
(6. any suggested links here or to other forums to dig into the details like battery size, range, charging, other)

1. Rivian R1T/R1S
2. $67.5-125k
3. Yes
4. 2022
5. 2024 (could easily argue later)

1. Ford Lightning
2. $39.9-92.5k
3. Reservations closed. Expected to open again in late 2022.
4. 2022
5. N/A. Reservations closed. Likely 2025 when they open again.

1. Subaru Solterra
2. TBD (unofficially $40-$50k)
3. Reservation system opened Feb 8 2022, already closed
4. 2022
5. N/A. Reservations closed

1. Chevy Silverado
2. $39.9-105+k
3. Reservation system open
4. Summer 2024 (WT and RST)
5. 2025 or later
6. https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/silverado-rst-vs-rivian-r1t.3666/

1. GMC Hummer EV2/3 (EV1 is sold out so not an option)
2. $80-120+k
4. Spring 2023
5. 2024 or later

1. Tesla Cybertruck
2. $39.9-69.9k (with land in Mexico thrown in if you believe that)
4. 2023
5. 202x (reportedly 1-3 million preorders, anyone's guess, but doubt it would be before 2027)

1. Jeep Wrangler
2. TBD. $50k and up speculated. Expect higher end
3. No
4. 2024
5. N/A

1. Jeep SUV (no official model announced, first rendering looks comparable to Compass)
2. TBD
3. No
4. Spring 2023
5. Since reservations aren't open yet, could theoretically score one in 2023 if you have AI and a bot to immediately enter a reservation when they announce they start)

1. Ram 1500
2. TBD
3. No. (Interesting plan to spend a year gathering real world input for wants/needs)
4. 2024
5. N/A.

Edit: With pricegate behind us, I for one no longer have any interest in moving to the competition. The Solterra is probably the most appealing to me for a second vehicle for my wife to trust in the winter. But when they open reservations again, I wouldn't be surprised if it's a wait until 2024, and I would be very interested to see if Rivian comes up with a similar option in their future lineups in that size/cost range.
Sponsored

Last edited:

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
I am most interested in the still very imaginary Tacoma EV. Toyota has basically been dragged kicking and screaming into the EV game so I doubt this will ever see the light of day, but if they do it I will be taking a look at it.

Rivian R1T R1S Off road BEV choices 7C0D1911-34CF-44F3-8021-59247A42F7E5

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

probably a few more obvious ones I'm missing.
Toyota has promised a Tacoma EV. Rumors that Ford has a Ranger EV planned. GMC is doing the Sierra EV

Lordstown Endurance might technically qualify.

Not really sure if they are going to count at all, since who knows if they are going to actually produce vehicles, but
Canoo, Alpha Motors, Atlis.

Bollinger might eventually bring their trucks to market after they enter the commercial space.

Nikola cancelled their Badger.

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

BEV:
Subaru Solterra (fall 2022 release)
Volvo XC40 Recharge (released 2020)
Ford Lightning (spring 2022 release)

OP
OP
MoreTrout

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired USN
BEV:
Subaru Solterra (fall 2022 release)
Volvo XC40 Recharge (released 2020)
Ford Lightning (spring 2022 release)

The XC40?? Volvo's home page has this description. "our full electric compact SUV is designed for modern urban living" With 6.9 inches of ground clearance on the stat sheet, I don't see any way this falls into the off road capable category. I could be wrong as I haven't followed them at all. Lots of things to like about Volvo, but my perception of them has always been a pavement bound yuppie vehicle. Subaru was a more obvious one as an off road brand I forgot about.

Sponsored

kurtlikevonnegut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T QM, Honda Odyssey
Clubs

The XC40?? Volvo's home page has this description. "our full electric compact SUV is designed for modern urban living" With 6.9 inches of ground clearance on the stat sheet, I don't see any way this falls into the off road capable category. I could be wrong as I haven't followed them at all. Lots of things to like about Volvo, but my perception of them has always been a pavement bound yuppie vehicle. Subaru was a more obvious one as an off road brand I forgot about.
By "off-road" they meant the gravel parking lot at soccer practice

Forager

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Structural Engineer
Clubs

Off roading can be many things. I see people take Hyundai Elantras and Toyota Corollas with less ground clearance down roads I cringe driving my truck down.

The XC40 has really good break over and departure angles, and with a slightly larger tire you could get 7.5-8” clearance if that’s really what you think is necessary.

IMO the XC40 Recharge would be perfectly adequate for rough forest roads, which is off-road enough for many.

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

Toyota has promised a Tacoma EV. Rumors that Ford has a Ranger EV planned. GMC is doing the Sierra EV

Lordstown Endurance might technically qualify.

Not really sure if they are going to count at all, since who knows if they are going to actually produce vehicles, but
Canoo, Alpha Motors, Atlis.

Bollinger might eventually bring their trucks to market after they enter the commercial space.

Nikola cancelled their Badger.
Bollinger is going commercial only. Not currently developing consumer vehicles.

OP
OP
MoreTrout

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired USN
Off roading can be many things. I see people take Hyundai Elantras and Toyota Corollas with less ground clearance down roads I cringe driving my truck down.

The XC40 has really good break over and departure angles, and with a slightly larger tire you could get 7.5-8” clearance if that’s really what you think is necessary.

IMO the XC40 Recharge would be perfectly adequate for rough forest roads, which is off-road enough for many.
No doubt. Many of us way underestimate/overestimate our needs or capabilities. Trust me, my bare bones FWD Escape has next to no business being around some of the areas I take it, but I know where the really bad areas are enough to avoid them. I'm trying to stick to options that have at least some off road thought specifically put into their design. I just don't see the off the lot version of the XC40 in that category.

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
I am most interested in the still very imaginary Tacoma EV. Toyota has basically been dragged kicking and screaming into the EV game so I doubt this will ever see the light of day, but if they do it I will be taking a look at it.

7C0D1911-34CF-44F3-8021-59247A42F7E5.jpeg
Yes - this is the holy grail. A mid sized electric truck built by Toyota. It is SUCH A BUMMER that Toyota dragged their feet on EVs.

BUT - we may be seeing the reason why. Toyota is a conservative company and they may have just decided that waiting until they have a more bullet proof supply chain and properly priced components was the way to go. In ten years we'll look back and maybe it will make more sense.

Regardless - If FORD or Toyota can put out a mid sized electric pick up I'll be a day one reservation holder.

Also - Nissa was early with the LEAF - Would have been cool if they built an electric Frontier instead of that mild gas refresh. That's a solid truck that doesn't get much love.

Sponsored

bd5400

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, SL500
Clubs

Definitely interested in the electric Tacoma. I'm undecided at this point, but I may hold on to my GX, pick up a BMW i4 as my daily, and see how the next couple of years shake out.

OP
OP
MoreTrout

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Retired USN
The sad reality is that for those of us that only have a current Rivian preorder, it is the only vehicle in the off road / adventure class we have any chance of actually getting in the next 2 years. And it's most likely going to be a downgraded version in capabilities and options from what we were expecting for the majority of us. Real easy for all of those cancelling orders and jumping ship right now to say they are going to the competition, but the hard reality of waiting at a minimum of another 2-3 years is going to sink in fast. I was optimistic Rivian was going to be my first BEV. Since my other vehicle doesn't need the range or off road capabilities for the wife to use, in all likelihood my first BEV won't end up being a Rivian. And even more frustrating is that it will more likely be a PHEV. And she will love it and probably spend months saying "And where is your truck?" after listening to all of my now crushed optimism of the last 2 years.

Andystroh

First Name
Andrew
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Clubs

The sad reality is that for those of us that only have a current Rivian preorder, it is the only vehicle in the off road / adventure class we have any chance of actually getting in the next 2 years. And it's most likely going to be a downgraded version in capabilities and options from what we were expecting for the majority of us. Real easy for all of those cancelling orders and jumping ship right now to say they are going to the competition, but the hard reality of waiting at a minimum of another 2-3 years is going to sink in fast. I was optimistic Rivian was going to be my first BEV. Since my other vehicle doesn't need the range or off road capabilities for the wife to use, in all likelihood my first BEV won't end up being a Rivian. And even more frustrating is that it will more likely be a PHEV. And she will love it and probably spend months saying "And where is your truck?" after listening to all of my now crushed optimism of the last 2 years.
Yeah, feel silly for not preordering any other trucks in the mean time, too confident in Rivian clearly. Glad we have an ID.4 but not looking forward to waiting many years for an electric off roader… thought we would only have one more summer without one. Now at the back of the line for a few alternatives.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

For a true off-road capable EV truck/SUV? There is no competition, Rivian is it. The Hummer is too big/heavy...even the Rivian is pushing my limits on size and weight for the trails. The Silverado doesn't have the clearance and Ford isn't even offering an FX4 trim on the Lightning. This is the only reason I didn't immediately cancel my order yesterday and still having a hard time justifying it.

Inkedsphynx

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'22 LE R1T, '21 CB500FA, '21 CMX1100A
I agree, I don't think anything else coming to market anytime soon fills the niche that the R1T and R1S do. Hummer EV is closest, but I also agree it's just too damn big and heavy for any real overlander/offroader. I laugh at all the TRX morons around here who can never follow me down the trails I go on because their vehicle is so damn big and wide. There's so much more to a good offroader than just ground clearance.​
Sponsored