First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Volvo XC70; 2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Project Manager
Watch this tax credit plan closely, under current requirements the $80K cap does not apply. The current tax rebate is however, non-refundable. I had personally missed this caveat when accounting for the $7,500 credit into any financial planning. What it means is that you will have to owe at least $7,500 in federal taxes to be able to take full benefit of this tax credit. I never owe taxes so for my scenario, it greatly changes my strategy for the rest of this year.
As per the current regulations, here's link to the form that should answer most of the questions forum members are asking. Fill it out, based on your last year return, and you may find some surprising answers.

IRS Form 8936
Sponsored

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
So you're saying you make less than like $40k per year? There's no way your tax bill for the full year is less than $7,500 if you're able to afford buying this truck, unless you just have piles of cash laying around and you don't work. It's not how much you owe when you settle up in March/April, it's what your total tax liability is. Just about everybody in here likely pays more than $7,500 per year in federal taxes
Semantics, folks. Words matter. Most folks here will have a federal tax of over $7,500. Most folks here probably have taxes withheld during the year, or pay quarterly taxes based upon projections. Fill out form 8936 and see what is what. A lot of folks here do not understand how this really works under current regulations.

As to what happens when the new bill is signed into law? You can speculate all you want, but it remains to be seen what the final wording actually creates.

Last edited:

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
So you're saying you make less than like $40k per year? There's no way your tax bill for the full year is less than $7,500 if you're able to afford buying this truck, unless you just have piles of cash laying around and you don't work. It's not how much you owe when you settle up in March/April, it's what your total tax liability is. Just about everybody in here likely pays more than $7,500 per year in federal taxes
My man. This is America. Jeff Bezos paid $0 in federal taxes in 2007 and in 2011. A recent US president is actually pretty well known for paying $0 in taxes many, many times. Loads of (rich) people milk carry-forward losses and other magic loop holes. The US tax code is Swiss cheese. (And by "Swiss" I mean really, really friendly to millionaires and billionaires...)

sherold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S3, VW Atlas
Semantics, folks. Words matter. Most folks here will have a federal tax of over $7,500. Most folks here probably have taxes withheld during the year, or pay quarterly taxes based upon projections. Fill out form 8936 and see what is what. A lot of folks here do not understand how this really works under current regulations.

As to what happens when the new bill is signed into law? You can speculate all you want, but it remains to be seen what the final wording actually creates.
Argh, damn symantics ;)

Thank you for the clarification. Filling out the form and seeing how it affects the 1040 gives a clear picture of how it will play out this year, my strategy shall remain unchanged :)

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager
And BuhBamm!

I just confirmed my configuration after having the Off-road Recovery Kit and Filed Kit removed. My DevTools info now looks like this..

"orderSnapshots": [
{
"id": "xxxxxxxxx",
"total": 79925,
"paidTotal": 1000,
"subtotal": 79925,
"state": "ORDERED",
"configurationStatus": "SOFT_LOCKED",
"currency": "USD",
"orderDate": "2021-09-20T00:59:57.853Z",
"type": "VEHICLE",
"fulfillmentSummaryStatus": "PENDING_FULFILLMENT",

Sponsored

marubicon

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
And my "8 Steps" just opened up!!! :)

A little less than 2 weeks from my status flipping to "Pending_Fulfillment"

I currently have an Oct-Nov 2022 delivery window and received my "Your configuration is ready to confirm" email on 7/25. I realized I had not changed the exterior color to what I wanted (FG -> RB) and could no longer modify my pre-order. I also noticed under the "?" on my profile page that I had a Rivian guide assigned that I was unaware of. I scheduled an appointment with them for the following day and he changed the color since my configuration was locked. I got the sense that if I wasn't changing the color that things were going to start moving quickly.

I immediately confirmed the configuration after I spoke with my Guide about the color change and have now gotten two emails about the digital purchase (both "A Seamless Process" and "Prepare for the Digital Purchasing Process") but no 8 step process yet. I'm now very anxious as to how long I've delayed myself by changing the color, but my Guide seemed pretty confident that things could happen soon. Now I wait (longer).... :cool:

Acoustic71

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Project Manager

Mine just opened up today (2 days after Guide assignment) and I am already down to the "Payment" step. Guide suggested I hold off on that step until closer to delivery, which is fine by me as I will need to liquidate some holdings anyway.

Rivian Raj

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sold my Model 3. No car till the R1T
Mine just opened up today (2 days after Guide assignment) and I am already down to the "Payment" step. Guide suggested I hold off on that step until closer to delivery, which is fine by me as I will need to liquidate some holdings anyway.
So jealous. We have the exact same order date and similar config. I think the only difference is the paint color. Hopefully, I get a guide soon.

sherold

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S3, VW Atlas
Delivery scheduled for 8/17 :)

I had the option for factory pick-up this week but, would rather it be delivered to my home.

R1TFTW

First Name
Steven
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I received it just a few minutes ago. I need to talk to my guide as I want to remove the Of-Road Recovery Kit and Field Kit prior to confirming my configuration. This will get me below $80K and let me take advantage of the $7,500 Federal Tax Credit. Once the items are removed, I will order them directly through the Gear Shop.
Hey don’t know if this has been mentioned. But my vehicle price and my accessories are completely different line items. I don’t think your accessories will apply to that number the way rivian is doing it.

Sponsored

RivRev

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep Wrangler
anyone in Dallas area getting 8 steps or any updates at all?

marubicon

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Talked to my Guide this morning and he mentioned that my factory pickup fell through as the truck was already shipped to the Chicago hub. Got a text this afternoon saying that has completed pre-delivery inspection and I can schedule delivery as soon as Thursday. They weren't kidding when they said "when it starts to move, it moves fast!"

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs