First Name
Bill
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mach E, Hummer EV SUT
Occupation
Engineer
I really want CCS charge ports on both sides, there seem to be threads stating only driver side. But I definitely want the J1772 on the passenger side because of where the charger is located in my garage. I am sure others have a different installation. My garage happened to have a 50 amp 220 already wired when I built my house in 2000, so it was easy to plug in a car charger in that spot. But that puts the charger near the garage door entrance on the passenger side of the vehicle. My first charger only had an 18 ft cable and that forced me to back my Bolt in to charge it. After going to a 25 ft cable on my newer charger, it can now reach the driver front of the Bolt pulled in forward. The Rivian will be too long to do that if the charge port is only on the driver side. There definitely should be an option to have two ports, if it is not standard.

I have a second charger in a separate RV garage where I keep my boat, but that charger works best for a driver side port.
Sponsored

MattpR1T

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
63’ Chevy Corvair, 75’ CB400 four
I think the E-tron Has the dual charge port setup.

If it’s true that the Riv Twins have dual ports, it would be nice to plug in a jumper and daisy chain. Where you plug into 1 EVSE and the other is a double ended J1772 and you plug that into your other car. You’d only ever need 1 EVSE for a 2 car household.