Sponsored

NYT Rivian Article By Peter Eavis is Out : "Rivian Loses Its Shine as Investors Fret About Production Delays"

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
I am hopeful that enough negative press like this might push Rivian to communicate better....
Stuff like that doesn't seem to bother Rivian, just as they um.. "took inspiration" from Tesla on many design elements (especially the UI/GUI) of their vehicles- they basically ignore forums and press criticisms like Tesla does.
Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Hopefully this will shock Rivian out of its communications blackout and actually start communicating to customers. In the meantime, maybe it's time for me to buy a holdover car?
I unfortunately drank the Rivian kool-Aid and sold my 2012 Model Y last fall expecting a much earlier R1T delivery. My projected delivery window is now Oct-Dec 2022 so I had to purchase a "holdover car" (2017 BMW i3 REX). Rivian has to be careful that people may actually like their "holdover" cars (at 1/4 the price of the R1T) and decide to opt-out when their truck is finally ready.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
I unfortunately drank the Rivian kool-Aid and sold my 2012 Model Y last fall expecting a much earlier R1T delivery. My projected delivery window is now Oct-Dec 2022 so I had to purchase a "holdover car" (2017 BMW i3 REX). Rivian has to be careful that people may actually like their "holdover" cars (at 1/4 the price of the R1T) and decide to opt-out when their truck is finally ready.
I concur. Sold the Gladiator thinking that we'd be rocking and rolling with deliveries 2H 2021. That quite obviously was not the case.

I now have a Model S with a CPO warranty on it. I've debated (more than once) if I should just hang onto it until the warranty runs out then make a call on what to do.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Well, speaking from experience, wait until the first time you have to buy tires for the i3.

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
IT
Well, speaking from experience, wait until the first time you have to buy tires for the i3.
OT, but yeah.. I know their "special". Luckily my i3 came w/brand new tries, so I should be good for a while. The i3 is a much maligned little vehicle, but for local use it's really a great fit with some amazing tech.

loudOrange

First Name
Joe
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F250
I wholeheartedly agree with that statement. Their communication to preorder holders is comically sad. You would think they would put forth a little more effort (hell even some) to customers that have been with them since 2018 and even invested in their IPO. I'm sure their vehicles will be great, but their chance to make a first impression with me is over and it's left me with nothing but a bad taste in my mouth. We all thought communication would improve after the IPO, but in my opinion it has only gotten worse. Anyhow, happy hump day to you all.
I'm the guy Eavis quoted in his piece and excerpted in Harkco's comment.

And I wholeheartedly agree with your assessment about communication - It has gotten worse.

After 4 unanswered emails to Rivian customer service, I called them.

Brook(e?) answered, and could not give me A) a date when I’ll get my R1T, or B) a timeframe within which I’ll hear from the “Guide” who will manage the delivery or C) an estimate as to how much time I’ll have between the Guide’s call and when my truck will be delivered.

Management is failing badly here, and I really feel for the customer service staff who have to field calls from rightly angry customers.

At this point I am really re-thinking taking possession of the R1T. If this is the way they treat us before we plunk down $77k, how will Rivian treat us when they have our $$?
Sponsored