Sponsored

Now You Know - Rivian lied

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Yeah Im 6' so probably wouldnt work so well unless the tonneau cover works with the gate open.
it does work with the gate down, but that would be far too drafty.

I have no opinion on the alleged inside info (except *giant fart noise*) but I can say with authority that patents don't mean shit. This one was filed years ago. Companies like Rivian will file every patent they can think of, whether it ever becomes a product or not. There's zero meaningful data here.

If you want evidence that they are semi serious about the winch, better evidence would be the fact that there is a test mule with a winch that has been sighted frequently and recently.
Itā€™s been in testing, winch controls are just waiting in the appā€¦ and of course the patens have what amount to screenshots from CATIA or whatever, as opposed to the typical vague patent drawings.

Presumably thereā€™s some sort of supply issue, so no winch this year.
Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Considering they just got the patent approved for the winch style bumper, it wouldn't make sense to completely shelve it. Maybe a delay until next year perhaps? None of us will likely know either way until it is released
Remember that a patent is not a product, it's just a concept, many of which never get into production. And just because it is patented doesn't mean it's a good idea - how about a "Urinal Headrest" Patent Number 6681419: I doubt this one would get funded on Shark Tank, lol.
šŸ¤£
"A forehead support apparatus for resting a standing users forehead against a wall above a bathroom commode or urinal or beneath a showerhead."
Rivian R1T R1S Now You Know - Rivian lied 1652152225482

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ā€˜22 Ioniq 5, ā€˜78 Jeep Wagoneer
I'd like a few of those urinal/shower headrests please.

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Remember that a patent is not a product, it's just a concept, many of which never get into production. And just because it is patented doesn't mean it's a good idea - how about a "Urinal Headrest" Patent Number 6681419: I doubt this one would get funded on Shark Tank, lol.
šŸ¤£
"A forehead support apparatus for resting a standing users forehead against a wall above a bathroom commode or urinal or beneath a showerhead."
1652152225482.png
Someone had to turn the inventorā€™s description into patent language, and someone had fo make that drawing.

The world is full of wonder

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

šŸ¤£
1652152225482.png
Yeah toilet paper was patented to go a certain way, doesn't mean it ever does.

And yes, patents are a dime a dozen. I referenced the patent as it had a more recent design and approval vs the elusive test mule fitted with the winch. And, it's also been pointed out there is functionality within the app for the winch albeit hidden from us peasants.

Anyhow, If it is released it would be cool, but as someone pointed out above, adoption rate would be quite low. How many jeeps drive around, and how many of those have a winch? Despite that, I do still hope Rivian releases a factory winch option. But the accessory I really want is roof mounted off road lighting. I have a feeling these and the story behind them are still incoming. And yes, I know what the rebuttal is "nothing stopping you from doing this aftermarket" but would still like to know if there was some UI integration etc.
Rivian R1T R1S Now You Know - Rivian lied Screenshot 2022-03-17 at 12-28-48 @r1t.4x4 ā€¢ Instagram photos and videos

Sponsored

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Anyhow, If it is released it would be cool, but as someone pointed out above, adoption rate would be quite low. How many jeeps drive around, and how many of those have a winch? Despite that, I do still hope Rivian releases a factory winch option. But the accessory I really want is roof mounted off road lighting.
Yeah, unfortunately the adoption rate would probably be low, and they know it, so price will be high to cover fixed costs. I think it looks great, and I've had a few experiences over the years where a mounted winch would have gotten me out of a situation quickly. But I'm not sure I could justify the premium cost on a Rivian - until after the fact, after I got into a situation, lol.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Someone had to turn the inventorā€™s description into patent language, and someone had fo make that drawing.

The world is full of wonder
Sometimes I think that these ridiculous patents were born as drunken $h** talk. "Anybody can get a patent, I'm going to invent a urinal headrest - hold my beer!"

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
But the accessory I really want is roof mounted off road lighting. I have a feeling these and the story behind them are still incoming. And yes, I know what the rebuttal is "nothing stopping you from doing this aftermarket" but would still like to know if there was some UI integration etc.
Not sure what you mean by "the story behind them"? The photo you shared is of an employee's rig with aftermarket lights installed. As far as I'm aware there has been no indication that Rivian plans to offer something here.

It would be cool to have a way to toggle auxiliary devices such as lights via the vehicle UI but that implies hardware that I feel like we'd have seen evidence of by now - e.g. accessible aux power connectors. I'm skeptical we'll ever see such a thing on first-gen R1s.

MountainBikeDude

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 El Cap Quad Motor R1T (Selling the Xterra)
Clubs

Not sure what you mean by "the story behind them"? The photo you shared is of an employee's rig with aftermarket lights installed. As far as I'm aware there has been no indication that Rivian plans to offer something here.

It would be cool to have a way to toggle auxiliary devices such as lights via the vehicle UI but that implies hardware that I feel like we'd have seen evidence of by now - e.g. accessible aux power connectors. I'm skeptical we'll ever see such a thing on first-gen R1s.
While I'm skeptical of Aux accessory UI integration, never know. And multiple messages to said employee about how it was wired, what he did inside the cab for a switch all were followed up with "A detailed explanation, how the lightbar operates is coming soon! Stay tuned!" so infer what you will in the meantime from that. Also that post was 3 months ago, and no followup despite others still asking for it.

kylealden

First Name
Kyle
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE, Tesla Model Y, Zero DSR/X, '69 CJ5
Occupation
Product Management
While I'm skeptical of Aux accessory UI integration, never know. And multiple messages to said employee about how it was wired, what he did inside the cab for a switch all were followed up with "A detailed explanation, how the lightbar operates is coming soon! Stay tuned!" so infer what you will in the meantime from that. Also that post was 3 months ago, and no followup despite others still asking for it.
Fair enough - though if I were a betting man, I'd point out that the simpler explanation is probably "employee afraid to post details about how he spliced accessories into his truck in a possibly-unsanctioned manner" rather than "secret accessory ports" šŸ™‚

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Fair enough - though if I were a betting man, I'd point out that the simpler explanation is probably "employee afraid to post details about how he spliced accessories into his truck in a possibly-unsanctioned manner" rather than "secret accessory ports" šŸ™‚
Itā€™s probably on the fog light circuit, and if they are or know anyone in the vehicle engineering side they probably did it up nicely.

or itā€™s all scotchloks and duct tape
Sponsored