First Name
Marcus
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F-150, Suzuki DR650
Occupation
Tester
Well, that settles it. This is not even a 300 series SS, with it being 400, it makes it even more difficult to maintain it. I wouldn't be surprised if these things turn really ugly after a couple of years, at least without a lot of elbow grease.
It's a 30X series stainless steel with extra chromium added for additional corrosion resistance. The magnetism is a function of the austenitic steel being converted to martensitic stainless steel by a custom machine the steel is rolled through to make it harder and more damage resistant. This doesn't change the alloy, it changes the structure of the alloy, the atomic structure becomes tighter and more crystalline on an atomic level. That is why the engineers at Tesla christened it "HFS" or "Hard F*ckin' Steel". Austenitic stainless goes from non-magnetic to mildly magnetic as it is work hardened.

Isn't metallurgy great? I wouldn't worry about corrosion with the tighter grain structure and added chromium to create a stronger passivity layer. There is no evidence it has a corrosion problem (unless you are particularly gullible).
Sponsored

Chewy734

First Name
Ashu
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW, Ford, Rivian
Clubs

Sure, you can add some color to a dumpster to make it look better in its surroundings, but, it’s still a…

Epicloop

First Name
Ray
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Electrical Contractor
1707936038975.png

Besides the stickers, I think this one looks a heck of a lot better in color vs. the stainless.

I'm not advocating the styling, I think they look worse in person than in pictures. And its hideous and frankly too big for me. But, this looks better IMHO.
I would have to agree, they look much better wrapped.
Yeah the Cybertruck wrapped in color looks pretty sick...maybe better than a Rivian...just kidding Cybertrucks still look like cars from a 2000s racing car game with a $20 budget
I actually prefer the front clip to the Rivian, and definitely prefer the strength of the body panels.
If I get one it's getting wrapped for sure.
This one would draw some attention!

Rivian R1T R1S Now they tell us! IMG_3732

Cycliste

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T/20AT/2DNU, BMC TMR01/SRAM AXS/454 NSW
Occupation
Amateur aero weenie
Clubs

This doesn't change the alloy, it changes the structure of the alloy, the atomic structure becomes tighter and more crystalline on an atomic level.
So, alchemy?
Sponsored