Sponsored

Noticed something about the gear tunnel in the latest photos on social media

acacia328

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ram Limited, 2010 Ford F-150 Platinum, Honda Odyssey Touring Elite
Exactly what I'm thinking. If you have a mechanical release mechanism above the gear tunnel, then there's a person able to "catch" the gear tunnel door as it falls open. The choice to skip an electronic mechanism sounds like a very reasonable decision to me.
I understand both of your points. I donā€™t really have a strong preference either way on how it would have ended up. For me though, it isnā€™t any different than releasing my tailgate from my keyfob or in my cab while one of my kids goes to get something. It is on me to ensure that it is safe to do so before proceeding.
Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I'd like to know what the backup method is when the door handle(s) won't deploy for whatever reason. Having Tesla-like flush handles is aesthetically appealing and functional for lower Cd. But what happens when it gets stuck? What's the alternate way to open the door?
Iā€™m currently using two old hotel key cards to open the drivers side door on my Tesla Model S.

Iā€™m not happy about it, but the $800 quote I received from them for fixing it isnā€™t sitting well with me either.

Rhidan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I had pointed out that the gear tunnel had changed in a different thread.

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/real-photos-videos.885/post-17535

My thought was just that they modified it to support the "Rivian Shuttle System" that was announced to support the camp kitchen or other forthcoming "gear tunnel accessories." Looks like they needed that bar inside to run a rail system.

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

Iā€™m currently using two old hotel key cards to open the drivers side door on my Tesla Model S.

Iā€™m not happy about it, but the $800 quote I received from them for fixing it isnā€™t sitting well with me either.
This topic should be moved to another thread. ;)

MReda

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi S4, Lexus LX470

My thought was just that they modified it to support the "Rivian Shuttle System" that was announced to support the camp kitchen or other forthcoming "gear tunnel accessories." Looks like they needed that bar inside to run a rail system.
I really hope this is the case, because it means it will be easy to do after we take delivery, whether it is for new accessories they release or DIY projects.

Sponsored

acacia328

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Ram Limited, 2010 Ford F-150 Platinum, Honda Odyssey Touring Elite

Agreed. Similar line of thinking. I apparently read right over the use of the term Rivian Shuttle System on their site when I originally looked at that section and was using ā€˜rail systemā€™ generically. My bad

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

For me though, it isnā€™t any different than releasing my tailgate from my keyfob or in my cab while one of my kids goes to get something. It is on me to ensure that it is safe to do so before proceeding.
Very true. It is on the owner to ensure that the area is clear.

txtravwill

First Name
Travis
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, F150
Occupation
IT Software Director
But back to your original post and comparison pics. I think you might be right; those small little areas in front of gear tunnel may be required to house/lock in additional battery cells under the seat - makes total sense. If that is all that is lost it will be great as that is about all that can be afforded to be lost without making the tunnel useless. Thanks!

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Clubs

But back to your original post and comparison pics. I think you might be right; those small little areas in front of gear tunnel may be required to house/lock in additional battery cells under the seat - makes total sense. If that is all that is lost it will be great as that is about all that can be afforded to be lost without making the tunnel useless. Thanks!
If you go to https://rivian.com/r1t and chose "03 Utility", scroll to the left and hit the "+" on the R1T Kitchen, you will see that Rivian has added some new verbiage. The last part of the third paragraph states, " Underneath, the kitchen slides in-and-out on our Rivian shuttle system, a platform that has been developed to support a range of future Gear Tunnel accessories." I don't know for sure, but it makes sense...
Sponsored