Sponsored

Not liking one pedal driving

Surferdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
I think you mean "zero options to reduce regen to zero/low", right? There is an option to switch regen between "High" and "Standard" already.

Apologies as I was unaware of the two options. Still it seems based on owner comments the standard applies significant regen feedback. Having the option to dial that back (easily switch while driving) to a more minimal regen feedback would be welcome by a non-insignificant percentage of owners. This could be adjusted actively when driving between city, hilly, flat or highway driving conditions.
Sponsored

Surferdude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla
But that might not happen. Perhaps forced into using it people will come to like it. Tesla has limited options (two levels). Is there an outcry in the Tesla community to "fix" this?
As noted, I think any luxury electric vehicle should have more control over regen. I don't consider Tesla a luxury vehicle so I don't think Rivian following their approach is acceptable. Ultimately it's about giving owners more control and options. This translates into comfort and convenience which are paramount in lux vehicles.

timesinks

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4, Sprinter
As noted, I think any luxury electric vehicle should have more control over regen. I don't consider Tesla a luxury vehicle so I don't think Rivian following their approach is acceptable. Ultimately it's about giving owners more control and options. This translates into comfort and convenience which are paramount in lux vehicles.
Their software is incredibly nascent and has barely progressed beyond minimum viable product status. Give it time. And if it's important to you, be sure to express your opinions to your guide. That's the primary mechanism for tallying feedback so that feature requests can be prioritized.

As you may be able to tell from this thread, very few other owners are going to be requesting that Rivian put their limited resources into this, as they're quite happy with where things landed on this particular functionality. You'll be a lot more likely to get what you want by letting Rivian know rather than going in circles with other owners on what is entirely a matter of preference.

EarlyAdptr

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Sequoia
Occupation
Consultant
I've just finished reading through all 8 pages of this thread (ok, skimmed the last 3 :))...

I think it's interesting most (including me) find the regen experience relatively easy to get used to but some find it challenging and bad (like OP). Why could this be I ask?

One option, that I don't think anyone has mentioned is the non-brake aspect of driving - acceleration. I used to have a friend, and whenever I drove with him his accelerator style annoyed me... he would gun it for a bit, then coast, then gun it, then coast and so on. I can imagine, he would find regen braking a horrible experience. Not sure what the OP's acceleration behavior is, but this might explain the different reactions.

Also, is there ANY chance, the software (and maybe in combination with the HW) in any individual vehicle could be behaving slightly differently. So the regen is a bit more aggressive in the OP's vehicle than all the others. Maybe, just maybe, there's an internal (not owner specific) setting or interpretive value that is a bit different - creating a different experience.

Anyways, just trying to understand how and why the reactions are so different.

Scott
- who was nervous at first, but found it easy (and enjoyable) to get use to the one-pedal breaking in my first and only R1T test drive.

Sponsored

Mysta

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Taycan 4S, Polestar 2, Miata ND2 RF
I've just finished reading through all 8 pages of this thread (ok, skimmed the last 3 :))...

I think it's interesting most (including me) find the regen experience relatively easy to get used to but some find it challenging and bad (like OP). Why could this be I ask?

One option, that I don't think anyone has mentioned is the non-brake aspect of driving - acceleration. I used to have a friend, and whenever I drove with him his accelerator style annoyed me... he would gun it for a bit, then coast, then gun it, then coast and so on. I can imagine, he would find regen braking a horrible experience. Not sure what the OP's acceleration behavior is, but this might explain the different reactions.

Also, is there ANY chance, the software (and maybe in combination with the HW) in any individual vehicle could be behaving slightly differently. So the regen is a bit more aggressive in the OP's vehicle than all the others. Maybe, just maybe, there's an internal (not owner specific) setting or interpretive value that is a bit different - creating a different experience.

Scott
- who was nervous at first, but found it easy (and enjoyable) to get use to the one-pedal breaking in my first and only R1T test drive.
There's likely a lot of factors. Like for instance when I go upto lights, even with ICE cars etc I would usually engine brake or feather brake to a light so that i'm kinda still rolling given opportunity when it turns green(and of course paying attention to cross traffic) and overally just never braking hard unless there was an emergency or I was actually spiritedly driving through the mountains. I think this means when I transition to electric with OPD I am able to easily modulate already because I had been. Whereas the other population, are the ones that kinda surprise me at lights, they will do the speed limit until they emergency brake(maybe a bit hyperbole) to stop. They are full on until they slam on the brakes. As in you are approaching a red light and this person is still passing you like there is no-one stopped ahead. Those people will likely have zero actual feel for braking dynamically.

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson

Scott
Like Scott, I also found that the R1T on my first mile drive was very easy to drive. However, I've driven my coworker's model 3 performance a decent amount.

You just have to get used to modulating the accelerator a bit. In an ICE vehicle you let of the accelerator completely to brake. In an EV you let off the accelerator slowly to mostly regen to a stop. I would guess they won't give a 0 regen option so that it doesn't kill the EPA MPG-e estimates.

gsqrd

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2012 infiniti G37 convertible, 2010 expedition
Occupation
retired computer designer
Clubs

I have limited exposure to OPD so not opinionated yet. I wonder if Rivian would have to re-EPA test if they added zero regen option?

OP
OP

blturner

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150
Occupation
Space Pirate
I do find it interesting however that nobody has bothered to mention that we're talking about driving an 800HP vehicle, which is also probably also a first for many around here.

The whipsaw effect when both accelerating and decelerating can be quite jarring in a high-performance vehicle. I used to own a 911 with a manual transmission and downshifting in that ride was an experience that you won't soon recreate in a Chevy Volt.

Once I got the feel for driving the Rivian, it seemed to me like their version of OPD is an attempt at offering the downshifting-like feel of a high-performance car with a manual transmission. (Again, if you've never experienced this, then it might feel jarring and take time to master.)
Great post. The rationale that if it accelerates fast it should also brake fast is logical. I also liked the winding mountain road comment. OPD is sparing the driver from constantly bouncing back and forth from pedal to pedal. At least that makes sense. I don't have the guts to drive a $110,000+ truck like it is a sports car on winding roads. That probably comes from driving an F150 for years.

As for everyone that said they got used to it in a few minutes. I am not having that kind of trouble. I am "used to it" I just find it tiring to constantly keep my foot on the gas. I do use cruise on the highway. It is everywhere else that apparently my R1T always wants to be a sports truck. And I hate when it surprises me when I react to something on the road with my long learned habits. "Covering the Brake" was a good way to put it. I don't think anyone is a pro at OPD in just 5 min.

For example:
I don't want to invite that car that just rolled 10 ft past the stop sign to pull out in front of me by slowing down. But I do want to be ready to smash the brake if he does. I also try to check my rear view mirror if I am covering the brake to make sure I am not going to have someone rear end me if I smash the brake. Judging regen while judging the distance of any car in the rearview is more than I can manage.

I dislike riding with a driver that can't keep a smooth speed. And this has turned me into one of those drivers. That part, I will learn with time.

When I am trying to stop at just the right spot I tend to end up short of the mark. Perhaps my truck is stuck in high. I will try high and see if it is even more than standard.

Where is this efficiency graph you guys are talking about? My Ford Fusion had one. You say it does not work well for this. I don't think that I have seen it at all.

There is no motor noise for feedback. I can't tell when I am coasting or braking without paying a lot of attention.

Sponsored

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Great post. The rationale that if it accelerates fast it should also brake fast is logical. I also liked the winding mountain road comment. OPD is sparing the driver from constantly bouncing back and forth from pedal to pedal. At least that makes sense. I don't have the guts to drive a $110,000+ truck like it is a sports car on winding roads. That probably comes from driving an F150 for years.

As for everyone that said they got used to it in a few minutes. I am not having that kind of trouble. I am "used to it" I just find it tiring to constantly keep my foot on the gas. I do use cruise on the highway. It is everywhere else that apparently my R1T always wants to be a sports truck. And I hate when it surprises me when I react to something on the road with my long learned habits. "Covering the Brake" was a good way to put it. I don't think anyone is a pro at OPD in just 5 min.

For example:
I don't want to invite that car that just rolled 10 ft past the stop sign to pull out in front of me by slowing down. But I do want to be ready to smash the brake if he does. I also try to check my rear view mirror if I am covering the brake to make sure I am not going to have someone rear end me if I smash the brake. Judging regen while judging the distance of any car in the rearview is more than I can manage.

I dislike riding with a driver that can't keep a smooth speed. And this has turned me into one of those drivers. That part, I will learn with time.

When I am trying to stop at just the right spot I tend to end up short of the mark. Perhaps my truck is stuck in high. I will try high and see if it is even more than standard.

Where is this efficiency graph you guys are talking about? My Ford Fusion had one. You say it does not work well for this. I don't think that I have seen it at all.

There is no motor noise for feedback. I can't tell when I am coasting or braking without paying a lot of attention.
Well good luck to you. I hope it either gets easier or they come out with a modification that makes it fun for you!

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
Bingo. And then you feel like you screwed up if you have to touch the friction brakes because you misjudged.
I surely do but then it is a very rare thing. It is not uncommon for me to make the 600 mile trip from here to our summer place without touching the Tesla brake pedal once (other than to start the car).

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
I think you are going to have to appreciate that what you think doesn't matter to Tesla or Rivian unless a whole lot of other people think the same. If putting un necessary stuff on the truck sells more trucks they will put that stuff on. Auto manufacturers have certainly never refrained from doing that in the past.

Ripped

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Dual Max
Occupation
-
The Hyundai Kona EV we just bought, has shifter paddles that control Regen from Zero to level Three. So four settings.

The salesperson stated most people don't like it and turn it off. The car login remembers your settings when you start it up, so there is no fiddling.

I have the Kona set at level Two auto, which brings a level two regen when at highway speeds and level Three at slow speeds.

I'm used to it in only a week, and like the setting that bridges 2-3 for the highest regen. I can watch the battery going up on long downhills, so it works pretty good.

I would like that kind of regen control on my upcoming Rivian. (maybe 4 levels also) Sounds like quite a few people would like a Zero Regen setting.

I think for trailer towing, I'd like more control, since my trailer has surge brakes. Usually I pulse the brakes on long downhill sections.

I also drive a stickshift in the Mustang, so not unlike a standard transmission without the clutch. I rarely use the brakes in that car.
So I'm good with the regen, except I want more control (levels) for trailer towing.
Sponsored