Sponsored

Not A Current Reservation Holder Here. Odds of Taking Delivery in 2022?

Ostrichsak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lots of Teslas, Future: 2023 Lightning Lariat, R1T
First post, happy to be here!

If I don't have a current reservation, what are my odds of being able to take delivery of a Rivian R1T in 2022? I'm seeing posts of trucks in inventory and people opting for them so I'm wondering what the possibility of being able to select one of those (or another one in the next couple of months) to take delivery of. I know there are people in line before me but it seems like many are waiting for options not yet available. For me, I'm willing to be a little bit more flexible on features/options as long as it happens in 2022.

I might even be open to an R1S if that helps but my guess is that's even less of a likelihood given how recently they started shipping. I think it may be difficult (nearly impossible?) to keep the price under $80k on that too.

It sounds like my best path is to order one online selecting options they're currently producing in order to gain access to the website that lists the currently available inventory options. Is that my best method and if it turns out that in a couple of months I discover that it's not going to happen just refund my deposit w/o penalty?

I've been following Rivian for quite some time now and almost got a reservation when they first opened them. I decided to wait on the sideline to see how things played out. More recently, I was torn between the Lightning and the R1T and when word got out that Ford wasn't going to let me order a 2022 Lightning I was going to go ahead and reserve an R1T. That was until they increased the price on the truck I wanted $14k. I literally missed that window by hours and was just "sleeping on it" before pulling the trigger. Oh well, that ship has sailed.

I received the invite to order my Lightning and went ahead and ordered up a Lariat. It looks like this will be delivered in the Spring of 2023 according to all accounts. I still REALLY want a Rivian but the only way that will happen is if I take delivery in 2022 for tax reasons. Being a resident of Colorado where we have a $2,500 (decreasing $500 in 2023) EV incentive I will basically be leaving $10k (including the federal tax credit) on the table if I don't take delivery of it in 2022.

I want to have both of them longish term so I can determine which one I prefer. The Rivian has the better form factor for our needs but, after 5ish years with only Teslas, I'm really looking forward to not dealing with the rapidly changing landscape of smaller upstart companies. With Ford, you know what you're getting... for better or for worse. I also know that if worse comes to worse I can pick up a phone, dial a local number and talk to someone locally whom I can hold accountable until my problem is resolved.

Like I said though, I'm really looking forward to having both in my garage but this is likely only possible if I can take delivery of an R1T in 2022.

Thanks for your input!
Sponsored

johnstuder

First Name
JOhn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A6, Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

Honestly I think you are out of luck. None of the sub 80k builds will ship this year for new reservation holders. Currently, that would require the dual motor build, which is not 2022. Maybe 2023 for those, we will see. All currently shipping builds are quad motor that look to start around 87k and go up.

johnstuder

First Name
JOhn
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Audi A6, Pacifica Hybrid
Clubs

Should you put in an order for an adventure trim quad motor, then it becomes a maybe. Reservation is definitely refundable, so that might be a plan. But I'd expect to be in the 89k range at a minimum. Good luck!

Siguy90

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I doubt you will get called to the shop or be selected for a VIN anytime soon with an order placed today. So a 2022 delivery is highly unlikely unfortunately, especially for a config under 80k since that involves getting the dual motor/standard battery which are not on the timeline until 2024.

Note that for any new reservation when you place a reservation you won't be able to configure a model. You will need to wait until you place in line is called to then configure a model.

So hopefully you are still interested in a Rivian however the tax credit and getting a new one in 2022 is out of the question.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Your chances of putting in a reservation now and getting a vehicle by the end of the year are about the same as getting a CyberTruck by the end of the year. Not gonna happen.

The "Shop" is by invitation to people who have unfilled reservations that were placed years ago. I have an R1S reservation from Jan 21, and my estimated delivery is 1H23. No shop invitation yet for me.

Sponsored

Aroohoo

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
IMO, your only chance is to buy second hand. But that doesn't help you on the tax front.

COdogman

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Occupation
Dog Wrangler
Chances are probably slim to get one from Rivian in 2022, but if you look at this spreadsheet of forum members who have taken delivery you will see that some didn’t have to wait long between order date and delivery date. It’s not a science but your best chance is probably to choose large pack, powered tonneau, 21” wheels.

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/...ivians-owners-list-and-stats-enter-yours.978/

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Convince 80,000 people to cancel their reservations. That's about the only way.

OP
OP
Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Honestly I think you are out of luck. None of the sub 80k builds will ship this year for new reservation holders. Currently, that would require the dual motor build, which is not 2022. Maybe 2023 for those, we will see. All currently shipping builds are quad motor that look to start around 87k and go up.
That makes sense. When I built one recently with the goal of keeping it under $80k I arrived at a silver/black AWD w/ middle battery pack. The last time I built one out I didn't recall dual motors being an option or 3 pack choices. Explains the new differences if that's for the new model year. May be a deal breaker there then. Thanks for the info.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I doubt you will get called to the shop or be selected for a VIN anytime soon with an order placed today. So a 2022 delivery is highly unlikely unfortunately, especially for a config under 80k since that involves getting the dual motor/standard battery which are not on the timeline until 2024.

Note that for any new reservation when you place a reservation you won't be able to configure a model. You will need to wait until you place in line is called to then configure a model.

So hopefully you are still interested in a Rivian however the tax credit and getting a new one in 2022 is out of the question.
That also explains why I wasn't able to actually place an order online. Last time I spec'd one out (albeit with far fewer options) I could actually submit the order.

Not sure I'll be interested in 2024 still but, maybe. I go through vehicles pretty commonly as stated so it's not really a question of if I'm in the market still but more of what the market has to offer. My guess is that by 2024 the EV landscape will be dotted with options & the Rivian may not be in the running any longer for me personally. Hell, Rivian may not even exist by then if you believe some of the negative hype the shorts are selling.

OP
OP
Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Chances are probably slim to get one from Rivian in 2022, but if you look at this spreadsheet of forum members who have taken delivery you will see that some didn’t have to wait long between order date and delivery date. It’s not a science but your best chance is probably to choose large pack, powered tonneau, 21” wheels.

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/đź“Š-delivered-rivians-owners-list-and-stats-enter-yours.978/
This is some of the data that I was analyzing that lead me to create this post seeking further information. If I order what you've described it would exceed the $80k limit which defeats the purpose of trying to get one sooner. If I'm not getting the tax incentive I'd rather just order exactly what I want & wait patiently.

OP
OP
Ostrichsak

Ostrichsak

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
step one: start a you tube channel...
Then get a launch edition that were "sold out" a long time ago
That would be funny if it weren't true. I was among the first to reserve a Ford Lightning (literally had the credit card charge confirmation 3min from when the opened pre-orders) and yet... No 2022. I see an awful lot of influencers driving 2022's though. I guess it sounds like Rivian isn't much different than the rest after all.

frostbit3

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T
Occupation
Engineer
It's $1,000 fully refundable deposit. Put it in and see what happens and how long it takes them to deliver it. Worst case they contact you and you're no longer in the market and you get your $1,000 back.
Sponsored