CoachBatch

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Just wanted to start connecting with other Rivian Fans in the Triangle area. I have pre-ordered a LE R1S and would like to get to know other Rivian Fans in the area.
Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
I used to live in Raleigh, but moved out west a few year ago.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Chapel Hill crew, checking in. Getting a R1T. Not a LE, unfortunately.

OP
OP

CoachBatch

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Hey @CommodoreAmiga I am in Apex. I hope to have my R1S in the fall next year. What color R1T did you order?
Preorder is for Limestone. I want to see it in person before they being production on my unit, however.

Also considered Rivian Blue (like it, but $$$) and La Silver or Glacier White (save money).

Sponsored

BigE

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Honda S2000
Hello, I'm down in Southport. I have an order for an R1T, but still waiting to compare with CyberTruck before the final decision. Pro's & Con's to both.

mahendar

First Name
Mahendar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Software
I live in Cary, Waiting for R1S LE.
Is anyone aware of NC DMV regulations for a mandatory full-size spare?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
My wife's car came without a spare tire -- although it does have run-flats. I did a search on Google and couldn't find any indication that a spare tire was required in NC. In fact, I found several sites that listed states that do require spares, and NC wasn't among them (although the lists didn't exactly agree with each other, so I wouldn't take that as gospel).

I searched the NC statutes (https://www.ncleg.gov/Laws/GeneralStatutes) for "spare" and found it referenced in only one area: a spare tire may not be mounted in way that obscures your license plate. No mention of a requirement to carry a spare.

P.S.Mangelsdorf

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
1940 Chevy EV conversion, 2017 Challenger (daily)
Occupation
Consultant
I'm in an unincorporated part of Wake county, south of Raleigh. No order yet, but seriously considering it.

OP
OP

CoachBatch

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I do not know anything about that regulation.

What color/options did you pre-order? I am leaning towards the Limestone, but really considering the El Cap as well. What options are you hoping they come out with?

Sponsored

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Be aware that NC DMV has an EV surcharge on your annual registration. This is to cover the gas taxes you aren’t paying at the pump which are used to fund highway construction and maintenance. I think it was around $100/year for me, but I moved out of state a few years ago so things might have changed.

mahendar

First Name
Mahendar
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Occupation
Software
I do not know anything about that regulation.

What color/options did you pre-order? I am leaning towards the Limestone, but really considering the El Cap as well. What options are you hoping they come out with?
I went with the Launch Edition

E-lectric

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T El Cap w/ 22s , 24 BMW i5 M60
Clubs

My wife's car came without a spare tire -- although it does have run-flats. I did a search on Google and couldn't find any indication that a spare tire was required in NC. In fact, I found several sites that listed states that do require spares, and NC wasn't among them (although the lists didn't exactly agree with each other, so I wouldn't take that as gospel).

I searched the NC statutes (https://www.ncleg.gov/Laws/GeneralStatutes) for "spare" and found it referenced in only one area: a spare tire may not be mounted in way that obscures your license plate. No mention of a requirement to carry a spare.
No spare required in NC - I have 2 vehicles that came from the factory without spares and no issues with NC DMV.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
No spare required in NC - I have 2 vehicles that came from the factory without spares and no issues with NC DMV.
Did they also not come with run-flats?

E-lectric

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 Rivian R1T El Cap w/ 22s , 24 BMW i5 M60
Clubs

Did they also not come with run-flats?
Correct - the Edge ST with summer tires - some sealant in the back only. The 20 Tesla 3P had Michelin Summer tires on 20" rims, very low profile and hitting a pothole the first week we had it resulted in a blown tire. No jack or anything in the Tesla - they expect u to call for the free service, which is a wrecker to tow u! Now have a temp spare in the Edge, 18" all season tires on a set of wheels and a plug kit for the Tesla. For long trips also bought a spare that I can put in the trunk. I will be paying extra for the full size spare in the R1T, when its available!
Sponsored