Sponsored

North Carolina Anti-EV "Equitable Free Vehicle Fuel Stations" Bill - $50k to remove EV charging stations

OP
OP
Zoidz

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I agree with the quote above. I don't know if Texas has chargers that fall in this category, or not. I don't think taxpayers should foot the bill for my electricity, no more than I think I should foot the bill for their gas/oil. I'm sure they all get subsidized in some way.
There's two aspects to this, the wording is subtle the way it is written: The charger and it's installation, vs. free electricity.

I agree that people should not get free electricity funded by the government from the chargers once installed.

Almost every state is providing funding or incentives for installation of chargers. This is one example in Pennsylvania. If climate change and driving EV adoption is a goal of Federal and State government, then they need to drive the adoption somehow. In general, I support government incentives for the INSTALLATION of charger infrastructure.
Sponsored

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Depsite just landing Hyundai and Rivian plants, the Georgia legislature has a similar backwards attitude towards EVs. I would be curious how many in thr NC legislature (like their counterpartd in GA) own or have close relationships with dealers?
After 100 years of existence car dealers are as financially close to legislators as H. Pylori is to digestive systems - nearly always there and happy to stay in the background until you irritate it.

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

After 100 years of existence car dealers are as financially close to legislators as H. Pylori is to digestive systems - nearly always there and happy to stay in the background until you irritate it.
Quite the specific analogy

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
There's two aspects to this, the wording is subtle the way it is written: The charger and it's installation, vs. free electricity.

I agree that people should not get free electricity funded by the government from the chargers once installed.

Almost every state is providing funding or incentives for installation of chargers. This is one example in Pennsylvania. If climate change and driving EV adoption is a goal of Federal and State government, then they need to drive the adoption somehow. In general, I support government incentives for the INSTALLATION of charger infrastructure.
I guess the state can still fund these chargers, just not through the DOT.

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
I agree with the quote above. I don't know if Texas has chargers that fall in this category, or not. I don't think taxpayers should foot the bill for my electricity, no more than I think I should foot the bill for their gas/oil. I'm sure they all get subsidized in some way.
I hate to break it to you but EV drivers are indeed footing a rather large bill for gas/oil... :)
https://e360.yale.edu/digest/fossil-fuels-received-5-9-trillion-in-subsidies-in-2020-report-finds

Free electricity at a charging station is easy for a simpleton politician to attack because it's so obvious. The trillions we spend annually to prop up the oil/gas industries just quietly disappears from our paychecks month after month, staying off the radar and shielded from outrage... I won't bring up [cough] defense budget for foreign wars in the middle east [cough] but let's not fool ourselves about why we're just so darned interested in that particular part of the world.

Edit: just to be fair, I should point out that the massive amount of subsidies for fossil fuels include natural gas and coal, which unfortunately supply power for about 60% of electricity in the US.

Last edited:

Sponsored

milliemc

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
retired
Clubs

I didn't see this posted previously, even though it happened in July....

PCMagazine - "It requires both public and private locations where EV charging is offered to provide "gasoline or diesel fuel for motor vehicles through a pump to the public at no charge," so other drivers can make use of those stations as well."

$50k has been allocated to REMOVE chargers where free gas and diesel is not offered.

What a 🤡

1660592423613.png
Well, that is a state for us to avoid. Typically, we haven't gone there in the past--no family there. That is so retrograde!

milliemc

First Name
James
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Occupation
retired
Clubs

I hate to break it to you but EV drivers are indeed footing a rather large bill for gas/oil... :)
https://e360.yale.edu/digest/fossil-fuels-received-5-9-trillion-in-subsidies-in-2020-report-finds

Free electricity at a charging station is easy for a simpleton politician to attack because it's so obvious. The trillions we spend annually to prop up the oil/gas industries just quietly disappears from our paychecks month after month, staying off the radar and shielded from outrage... I won't bring up [cough] defense budget for foreign wars in the middle east [cough] but let's not fool ourselves about why we're just so darned interested in that particular part of the world.

Edit: just to be fair, I should point out that the massive amount of subsidies for fossil fuels include natural gas and coal, which unfortunately supply power for about 60% of electricity in the US.
Correct.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

Time to install free gasoline dispensers that dispense gasoline at the same rate (miles of range per minute connected) as the L2 chargers.

A Hummer EV charging at 7.3 kW would add 10.5 miles of range per hour. A Prius gets 58 MPG. To add 10.5 miles of range per hour would mean dripping 2.3 teaspoons of gasoline per minute. (Or 0.2 ml/sec in reasonable unis. So one milliliter of gasoline every 5 seconds.) That's a bit faster than your average medical saline drip.

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
It's right there. I bolded the words to make it less obfuscated.

§ 136-18.02A. Electric vehicle charging stations on State-owned property.
Except as provided in G.S. 136-18.02, the Department of Transportation shall not use public funds to provide electric vehicle charging stations on property owned or leased by the State or to fund or install electric vehicle charging stations on property owned or leased by a person or entity unless the Department or the person or entity provides gasoline and diesel fuel for motor vehicles through a pump to the public at no charge."

Consider the situation where the government is providing public funds in the form of grants, low interest loans, etc. as an incentive to developers to rebuild/revitalize depressed inner city areas. This wording would likely prevent the installation of EV charging stations on the private land - exactly where they should be installed.

I'm friends with an inner city developer in our area who runs into this type of stuff all the time.
I see your point and counter as a developer I'll use DOT funds for everything except the L2 charger and the electricity to keep it running free. Concrete, curbing, signage, electricity dist., Lighting, etc and then just pay the $3,000 for some L2 chargers myself.

That's what we're talking about right, free L2 charging? I don't know of any entities offering free fast charging... Way too expensive.

Sponsored

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
I support government incentives for the INSTALLATION of charger infrastructure.......... I agree that people should not get free electricity funded by the government from the chargers once installed.
I agree with your comments above. It's what I interpreted the Rep. to be saying about free electricity. However,it seems he went a little overboard with his remedy. No need to remove the chargers. Instead, set competitive pricing for the electricity. Make money, not waste it.

Thanks for the reminder. ICE drivers even more so because of the larger number of owners.

ads75

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2019 Jeep Wrangler 2DR, 2022 R1T
Occupation
Utilities
Clubs

North Carolina was one of the states affected by the Colonial Pipelene hack in May 2021, which resulted in widespread gasoline shortages throughout the southeast. Good to see some people haven’t learned anything.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Pretty much sums up all of the South.
On crackpot state rep submitted an idiotic bill and you're going to slander an entire region? Come on, I can find a crackpot rep and idiotic bill in every state house every single year.

yizzung

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T | Audi allroad
Occupation
Tech
Time to install free gasoline dispensers that dispense gasoline at the same rate (miles of range per minute connected) as the L2 chargers.

A Hummer EV charging at 7.3 kW would add 10.5 miles of range per hour. A Prius gets 58 MPG. To add 10.5 miles of range per hour would mean dripping 2.3 teaspoons of gasoline per minute. (Or 0.2 ml/sec in reasonable unis. So one milliliter of gasoline every 5 seconds.) That's a bit faster than your average medical saline drip.
I'm sick and tired of subsidizing teetotalers. Everywhere I go there's taxpayer funded FREE water flowing in the fountains. Where's my free whiskey fountain???

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
On crackpot state rep submitted an idiotic bill and you're going to slander an entire region? Come on, I can find a crackpot rep and idiotic bill in every state house every single year.
It isn’t one rep. It isn’t one backwards law. It isn’t one idiot.
Sponsored