Sponsored

North Carolina Anti-EV "Equitable Free Vehicle Fuel Stations" Bill - $50k to remove EV charging stations

Cactus

First Name
Doug
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Feb 2014 Tesla Model S, June 2023 R1S
Occupation
Professor
Clubs

I agree with the quote above. I don't know if Texas has chargers that fall in this category, or not. I don't think taxpayers should foot the bill for my electricity, no more than I think I should foot the bill for their gas/oil. I'm sure they all get subsidized in some way.
Agree on paying one's fair share. But 3 points:
1. Electricity costs a fraction of petroleum-based fuel, so free gas would be much freer than electricity!
2. US government has been subsidizing fossil fuel industry for decades
3. To encourage people to do the right thing for the environment, governments need to make doing the right thing economically attractive.

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
Agree on paying one's fair share. But 3 points:
1. Electricity costs a fraction of petroleum-based fuel, so free gas would be much freer than electricity!
2. US government has been subsidizing fossil fuel industry for decades
3. To encourage people to do the right thing for the environment, governments need to make doing the right thing economically attractive.
I'm with you on points 1 and 2, Doug. On point 3, if you're suggesting incentives, where it helps achieve a goal that is good for everyone, such as helping the economy, environment, etc. I agree.

I don't agree with a government furnishing free electricity, though. I see "free electricity" as helping those that can easily afford it. It doesn't benefit everyone, only EV owners. That's a small percentage compared to ICE vehicles on the road.

I don't think ICE owners would complain about incentives to purchase an EV, as they would have the same opportunity. However, giving away something free, to a certain group of people who have the means to pay, is different, IMO.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
I don't think ICE owners would complain about incentives to purchase an EV, as they would have the same opportunity. However, giving away something free, to a certain group of people who have the means to pay, is different, IMO.
If we're giving away some free electricity, there are plenty of people that would truly benefit from it more than someone who can afford a $55k car, but I'm generally not a fan of government handouts as a whole. Now if we're talking about private businesses paying for the electricity to entice customers, that's a different animal.

mpw81

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Q5 PHEV
Now if we're talking about private businesses paying for the electricity to entice customers, that's a different animal.
Part of the bill requires private businesses to disclose how much the free charging costs customers. Essentially, if a restaurant had free EV chargers, they'd have to add a line to every receipt indicating how much you were paying to subsidize the free EV charging. Is it sounds like a nightmare to calculate that, you would be correct. In short, the bill is entirely performative nonsense to rile up the same people who are already riled up and like to do things like coal roll you and intentionally ICE your EV chargers.

Sponsored

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

Should such business also have to disclose the per customer cost of “amenities” offered such as “free parking” and “restrooms”? Not all restaurants offer those, and I guess if they don’t & that’s a deal-breaker for you then you’ll go someplace else. Telling a private business what they can & cannot do with their own money sure ain’t capitalism.

Net-net, we’re talking about L2 charging here, the cost to account for it probably exceeds what you could charge for it.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
...I don't agree with a government furnishing free electricity, though. I see "free electricity" as helping those that can easily afford it..
It's not a question of affordability, it's a question of incentivizing a change in behavior.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

I'm sick and tired of subsidizing teetotalers. Everywhere I go there's taxpayer funded FREE water flowing in the fountains. Where's my free whiskey fountain???
Portland almost had a free beer fountain for a while... (The second part of the article mentioning an attempt to actually do it in 2009 was an April Fool's Joke, but the first part about the 1887 offer was real.)

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
It's not a question of affordability, it's a question of incentivizing a change in behavior.
That's one way to view it.

For me, free electricity (from the government) for EV's doesn't give me an incentive to change my behavior. I didn't consider that at all, prior to ordering mine. My charging is done at home. I don't care to see the government competing against the private sector. Free is hard to beat.

If we're giving away some free electricity, there are plenty of people that would truly benefit from it more than someone who can afford a $55k car......
I agree.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Subsidies are bad. We end up in the situation we’re in with a seemingly infinite web of cross subsidies.

Subsidies are bad.

Sponsored

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Probably not the change in behavior you were looking for...

Ford raised the base price of its F-150 Lightning electric pickup truck Aug. 9 following the passing of a bill by Senate Democrats that included a $7,500 federal electric vehicle tax credit.

The base model of the 2023 F-150 Lightning pickup will now cost $47,000, up from it’s original price of $40,000, according to CNN. More expensive models, such as the XLT High/Extended Range and the Lariat Extended Range have increased in price by $8,500, while other F-150 Lightning designs vary between $6,000 to $7,000 in price increases, according to the Detroit Free Press.

thrill

First Name
billy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
i3s, (r1t)
Probably not the change in behavior you were looking for...

Ford raised the base price of its F-150 Lightning electric pickup truck Aug. 9 following the passing of a bill by Senate Democrats that included a $7,500 federal electric vehicle tax credit.

The base model of the 2023 F-150 Lightning pickup will now cost $47,000, up from it’s original price of $40,000, according to CNN. More expensive models, such as the XLT High/Extended Range and the Lariat Extended Range have increased in price by $8,500, while other F-150 Lightning designs vary between $6,000 to $7,000 in price increases, according to the Detroit Free Press.
Well, I dunno - does Ford now *being able* to charge more for their product incentivize them to make and sell more of them?

Animalhouse

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2009 hummer H3T (manual), 2018 dodge ram
Occupation
Contractor
Alabama gets you when you go in to get your tags 100 for hybrids and 200 for any plug in electric vehicle. Won’t surprise me they increase it soon.

Gator42

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2020 Defender
Well, I dunno - does Ford now *being able* to charge more for their product incentivize them to make and sell more of them?
Is your implication here Ford needs government subsidies to produce electric vehicles?

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
Is your implication here Ford needs government subsidies to produce electric vehicles?
They don't need it, but certainly they're inclined to make more if they make more money on them.
Sponsored