Sponsored

North Carolina Anti-EV "Equitable Free Vehicle Fuel Stations" Bill - $50k to remove EV charging stations

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
I didn't see this posted previously, even though it happened in July....

PCMagazine - "It requires both public and private locations where EV charging is offered to provide "gasoline or diesel fuel for motor vehicles through a pump to the public at no charge," so other drivers can make use of those stations as well."

$50k has been allocated to REMOVE chargers where free gas and diesel is not offered.

What a 🤡

Rivian R1T R1S North Carolina Anti-EV "Equitable Free Vehicle Fuel Stations" Bill - $50k to remove EV charging stations 1660592423613
Sponsored

Donald Stanfield

First Name
Donald
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, 2024 BMW i4 M50
Occupation
Stuff and things
Holy crap how stupid is this. It has to be some pretty high level whininess to have to remove an EV charger because you can't get free gas too.

JoelD

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Website
idlethoughts.blog
Vehicles
Chevy Bolt, Rivian R1T LE (delivered 6/28/22)
Occupation
Retired
Holy crap how stupid is this. It has to be some pretty high level whininess to have to remove an EV charger because you can't get free gas too.
This is a bill that has no chance of passing, and the Governor would veto if it did…but yes, it’s stupid…

Trekkie

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 ID.4, 2022 Polestar 2, 2023.5 Defender 110
Occupation
IT Nerd
Does this goober think that the electricity from these charging stations is produced outside the United States?
Speaking as someone who has lived here for 23 years now...

Our state 'general assembly' only meats biennially, and they have a few weeks to do what these days seems like 'a bunch of stupid things' including this gem.

Between those two sessions there is a first reading, second reading, third reading, and then it goes into a committee, then it gets voted on.

We just passed the 'first reading'

https://www.ncleg.gov/BillLookUp/2021/H1049

We'll see what happens, when they tried to raise the EV road use tax it failed pretty quickly (we pay $130 per year, non prorated/refundable) but they wanted to punch it to 275 AND went after hybrid owners) https://www.newsobserver.com/news/politics-government/article229072449.html but it died.)

None of it makes any sense, even though our gas tax is pretty high compared to other states you'd have to drive almost 20k in a 30MPG vehicle to generate the same amount of revenue for the $130. I'm all for paying fair amounts based on mileage, i mean our vehicles have to be inspected every year seems like a great time to get mileage but then people say 'but what if we left the state' etc etc.

I'm not out to start any argument here, i know I'm biased against stupidity and state government in any state the crazy people get elected because its not cool to pay attention to state politics until its too late. This guy that sponsored this bill (Moss) had a whole 22K people vote for him (and 14k vote against) so he represents a tiny ass portion of our state too.

Sponsored

atebit

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Porsche Boxster
Clubs

We lived in NC for 10 years from 2005-2015. I was amazed at the number of free EVSE locations that were available in the Raleigh area after getting my LEAF in 2012. Why they would try to backtrack on this now makes no sense. My understanding was that the EVSEs and energy were subsidized as part of green initiatives. I wasn’t expecting “free” energy, but back in the day with the LEAF you needed somewhere to top off if you wanted to actually get home. :rolleyes:

brancky3

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
22 CY R1T, 21 MachE GT
Occupation
IT
Easy solution would be to have each charger cost $0.01 per 24 hours of charging. No longer free.

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
Haven't read it other than title and here, but I don't think tax payers should pay for private use EV stations and charging on public lands... His tweet said on state and local lands...not private. Wawa, superchargers, businesses, all private land.

I hope it doesn't pass, step back IMO, I echo Trekkie.

OP
OP
Zoidz

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
Haven't read it other than title and here, but I don't think tax payers should pay for private use EV stations and charging on public lands... His tweet said on state and local lands...not private. Wawa, superchargers, businesses, all private land.

I hope it doesn't pass, step back IMO, I echo Trekkie.
"It requires both public and private locations where EV charging is offered to provide "gasoline or diesel fuel for motor vehicles through a pump to the public at no charge,"

Sponsored

Dirty_B

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Occupation
Sales
"It requires both public and private locations where EV charging is offered to provide "gasoline or diesel fuel for motor vehicles through a pump to the public at no charge,"
I just read it, don't see that in there, please provide section and quote.

OP
OP
Zoidz

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I just read it, don't see that in there, please provide section and quote.
It's right there. I bolded the words to make it less obfuscated.

§ 136-18.02A. Electric vehicle charging stations on State-owned property.
Except as provided in G.S. 136-18.02, the Department of Transportation shall not use public funds to provide electric vehicle charging stations on property owned or leased by the State or to fund or install electric vehicle charging stations on property owned or leased by a person or entity unless the Department or the person or entity provides gasoline and diesel fuel for motor vehicles through a pump to the public at no charge."

Consider the situation where the government is providing public funds in the form of grants, low interest loans, etc. as an incentive to developers to rebuild/revitalize depressed inner city areas. This wording would likely prevent the installation of EV charging stations on the private land - exactly where they should be installed.

I'm friends with an inner city developer in our area who runs into this type of stuff all the time.

cc84

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2000 GMC Sierra
"Taxpayers should not be footing the bill for 'free' electric vehicle charging stations, on state and local government property...."
I agree with the quote above. I don't know if Texas has chargers that fall in this category, or not. I don't think taxpayers should foot the bill for my electricity, no more than I think I should foot the bill for their gas/oil. I'm sure they all get subsidized in some way.

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

Depsite just landing Hyundai and Rivian plants, the Georgia legislature has a similar backwards attitude towards EVs. I would be curious how many in thr NC legislature (like their counterpartd in GA) own or have close relationships with dealers?
Sponsored