Sponsored

idiocyafoot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla S, LX470, R1200GSA, 500EXC-F
Hey All. I guess I'll start here. Thanks to Admin for being so responsive.

I don't plan on doing anything crazy (yet) to our new R1T but we are doing some things here and there and I like to pass along what we like, what works, etc. More importantly I love to see other builds and the the cool stuff people do with their vehicles (and lessons learned)

Coming from Late 2016 Model S 90D Refresh (still have). Very familiar with EV ownership, charging, road tripping, etc.

I ordered Feb 2019 and got delivery via Rivian Shop in late June 2022. Would have gotten earlier delivery but was holding out for max pack.

My original order was: El Cap, Black, 20" ATs, Off-road pack, Max Pack.

Ended up with: Limestone, Black, 21"s, No off-road, and large pack.

I love the Limestone. Would have preferred 20" ATs and underbody, but enjoying the ride and range of the 21's. I actually like the Large pack over the max pack for my purposes at this point. 325+ range is plenty for me and there are going to be con's on the max (weight/space) with current battery tech.

Changes/Accessories so far:

- Pre-ordered Load Bars and installed them before I left the Service Center.

- 21" Aero covers came off almost immediately.

- Bought black generic caps and put on TWraps logo decals. Working on printing inserts to use factory caps without destroying aeros. Hopefully factory caps will make it into gear shop sooner than later.

- Tinted XPEL XR Plus all the way around: 30% Front Sides, 55% Roof, Back Sides and Rear. May or may not have put 70% on windshield (pleading the 5th). Marked difference in heat in the cabin and visibility. No significant issues with polarized Sunglasses, which was a concern. There IS a little bit of rainbow on other vehicle's windows with polarized sunglasses on but as yet not a big deal. Hopefully will be less dependent on sunglasses due to tint. New shop for me very happy with work.

- Matte Screen Protector Film kit from ScreenProtech on all three screens. I personally MUCH prefer the texture, glare reduction and no fingerprints of the matte protectors. Nice kit. https://screenprotech.com/collections/rivian/products/rivian-r1s-screen-protech-kit

- Orvis Rear Seat Cover. Size Large. Slate(black) color. Posted already here: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/thumbs-and-paws-up-for-orvis-seat-cover.7000/

- Trailer Hitch Pin. Current trailer Pin (with the pin retainer clip) did not fit. The slot on the pin for the retainer clip was too short and we could get the clip in. Ran to Oreillys and getting one of these: https://www.masterlock.com/products/product/1465DAT Works great, but obviously does not lock. Towing 7 x 12 Enclosed Trailer was like 'what trailer?'

- 22mm no-mar deep Lug nut socket.

- Wait listed on Rivian All-weather mats.

Plans/Considerations:

- Wheels. Will do something to 21"s just not sure yet. Could be just satin black powdercoat, could be something cool I don't even know about yet... They look decent for now...will look much better with factory caps...but still will likely do something else.

- Tires. Obviously stuck with the Verdes for now. Hopefully some more options will show up. Going to order at least one spare of the verde tires and throw in spare compartment. Hopefully can get a wheel sooner than later.

- Jack. Did not get offroad so did not get a jack either. Considering options. Partial to bottle jacks for this application. Open to input.

- Jack point insert(s). Will need at least one.

- Will likely pick up some 20" ATs when available

- PPF. DEFINITELY doing at least Front, rockers etc. I LOVE the full stealth over Limestone look but not sure I want to commit to that whole thing. (BTW very interesting dialogue with XPEL Shop who is not thrilled AT ALL about the the Rivian offer and argues that you get what you pay for. FWIW)

- I despise Alexa for this application. Sorry I'm one of those carplay guys.

- Cooler. Will likely start with a single Dometic CFX3 and consider a second if we find we are using it a lot and want to be able to have both fridge and freezer at same time. No dual zones that I am aware of fit under tonneau and could end up being more flexible to just have two CFX3s. Have wanted to get one for boating and other activities anyway. Will start with one and see.

- May consider the Builtright Molle panel. Otherwise will need to do something to get dirtbike wheel chocks in at some point.

I think that's all that's fit to print at moment. Would love to hear input suggestion on any of the above and will try to answer any questions I can. And will add to thread as things change.

Rivian on.

Rivian R1T R1S North Atlanta Limestone R1T - Delivered Late June 2022 IMG_7289
Rivian R1T R1S North Atlanta Limestone R1T - Delivered Late June 2022 IMG_7319

Rivian R1T R1S North Atlanta Limestone R1T - Delivered Late June 2022 IMG_7307
Rivian R1T R1S North Atlanta Limestone R1T - Delivered Late June 2022 IMG_7626
Rivian R1T R1S North Atlanta Limestone R1T - Delivered Late June 2022 IMG_7628

Rivian R1T R1S North Atlanta Limestone R1T - Delivered Late June 2022 IMG_7641
Rivian R1T R1S North Atlanta Limestone R1T - Delivered Late June 2022 IMG_7646
Sponsored

Last edited:

Lysdexic

First Name
Scott
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
04 Tundra
Nice write up. Almost the same config but I am holding out for 20ā€ ATs (for now). Thanks for the list of first mods.

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Congrats on the R1T!

There is an existing accessories thread here that has a lot of content already. Welcome your insights there as well.

MXA121

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Model 3
Jack - so no jack was included with your truck?

Sponsored

OP
OP
idiocyafoot

idiocyafoot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
No jack
Jack - so no jack was included with your truck?
Nope. No jack.

I think jack onky comes with spare kit. Otherwise you get fix-a-flat. I have a tire plug kit that I carry and plan on ordering a spare 21 tire to put on spare spot. At least could limp somewhere. Until I can get a full size spare wheel from somewhere. But need a workable jack no matter what. Have not ordered one yet.

nc10

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, EV6 GT Line
Occupation
Engineer
No jack

Nope. No jack.

I think jack onky comes with spare kit.
True.. Just got my spare, came with a jack, and a stand to put it on. Maybe I should post a picture, is there one posted already here somewhere?

I think the 21" wheels look really good with the Liimestone color in the pic's. I don't know if getting the full rivian spare/jack now is an option, I'd consider that. Several people, including me, have ordered trunk organizers for the frunk, pretty handy.

I agree with the OP, Carplay would help the current interface/user experience a lot. I use Alexa devices in my home works pretty well for me with smart devices, locks, lights, switches, cameras, doorbell, etc. Not so good at finding locations or accessing stuff in the truck.

Last edited:

mabowden

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Kia Seltos SX
Occupation
Toby Flenderson
No jack

Nope. No jack.

I think jack onky comes with spare kit. Otherwise you get fix-a-flat. I have a tire plug kit that I carry and plan on ordering a spare 21 tire to put on spare spot. At least could limp somewhere. Until I can get a full size spare wheel from somewhere. But need a workable jack no matter what. Have not ordered one yet.
How has dust been on the limestone- does it hide dirt fairly well? I've never had a vehicle this color and was genuinely curious.

Right now I have a white car and am fairly happy with its ability to look pretty clean most of the time.

OP
OP
idiocyafoot

idiocyafoot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Hey All. I guess I'll start here. Thanks to Admin for being so responsive.

I don't plan on doing anything crazy (yet) to our new R1T but we are doing some things here and there and I like to pass along what we like, what works, etc. More importantly I love to see other builds and the the cool stuff people do with their vehicles (and lessons learned)

Coming from Late 2016 Model S 90D Refresh (still have). Very familiar with EV ownership, charging, road tripping, etc.

I ordered Feb 2019 and got delivery via Rivian Shop in late June 2022. Would have gotten earlier delivery but was holding out for max pack.

My original order was: El Cap, Black, 20" ATs, Off-road pack, Max Pack.

Ended up with: Limestone, Black, 21"s, No off-road, and large pack.

I love the Limestone. Would have preferred 20" ATs and underbody, but enjoying the ride and range of the 21's. I actually like the Large pack over the max pack for my purposes at this point. 325+ range is plenty for me and there are going to be con's on the max (weight/space) with current battery tech.

Changes/Accessories so far:

- Pre-ordered Load Bars and installed them before I left the Service Center.

- 21" Aero covers came off almost immediately.

- Bought black generic caps and put on TWraps logo decals. Working on printing inserts to use factory caps without destroying aeros. Hopefully factory caps will make it into gear shop sooner than later.

- Tinted XPEL XR Plus all the way around: 30% Front Sides, 55% Roof, Back Sides and Rear. May or may not have put 70% on windshield (pleading the 5th). Marked difference in heat in the cabin and visibility. No significant issues with polarized Sunglasses, which was a concern. There IS a little bit of rainbow on other vehicle's windows with polarized sunglasses on but as yet not a big deal. Hopefully will be less dependent on sunglasses due to tint. New shop for me very happy with work.

- Matte Screen Protector Film kit from ScreenProtech on all three screens. I personally MUCH prefer the texture, glare reduction and no fingerprints of the matte protectors. Nice kit. https://screenprotech.com/collections/rivian/products/rivian-r1s-screen-protech-kit

- Orvis Rear Seat Cover. Size Large. Slate(black) color. Posted already here: https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/thumbs-and-paws-up-for-orvis-seat-cover.7000/

- Trailer Hitch Pin. Current trailer Pin (with the pin retainer clip) did not fit. The slot on the pin for the retainer clip was too short and we could get the clip in. Ran to Oreillys and getting one of these: https://www.masterlock.com/products/product/1465DAT Works great, but obviously does not lock. Towing 7 x 12 Enclosed Trailer was like 'what trailer?'

- 22mm no-mar deep Lug nut socket.

- Wait listed on Rivian All-weather mats.

Plans/Considerations:

- Wheels. Will do something to 21"s just not sure yet. Could be just satin black powdercoat, could be something cool I don't even know about yet... They look decent for now...will look much better with factory caps...but still will likely do something else.

- Tires. Obviously stuck with the Verdes for now. Hopefully some more options will show up. Going to order at least one spare of the verde tires and throw in spare compartment. Hopefully can get a wheel sooner than later.

- Jack. Did not get offroad so did not get a jack either. Considering options. Partial to bottle jacks for this application. Open to input.

- Jack point insert(s). Will need at least one.

- Will likely pick up some 20" ATs when available

- PPF. DEFINITELY doing at least Front, rockers etc. I LOVE the full stealth over Limestone look but not sure I want to commit to that whole thing. (BTW very interesting dialogue with XPEL Shop who is not thrilled AT ALL about the the Rivian offer and argues that you get what you pay for. FWIW)

- I despise Alexa for this application. Sorry I'm one of those carplay guys.

- Cooler. Will likely start with a single Dometic CFX3 and consider a second if we find we are using it a lot and want to be able to have both fridge and freezer at same time. No dual zones that I am aware of fit under tonneau and could end up being more flexible to just have two CFX3s. Have wanted to get one for boating and other activities anyway. Will start with one and see.

- May consider the Builtright Molle panel. Otherwise will need to do something to get dirtbike wheel chocks in at some point.

I think that's all that's fit to print at moment. Would love to hear input suggestion on any of the above and will try to answer any questions I can. And will add to thread as things change.

Rivian on.

IMG_7289.jpeg
IMG_7319.jpeg

IMG_7307.jpeg
IMG_7626.jpeg
IMG_7628.jpeg

IMG_7641.jpg
IMG_7646.jpg
Minor updates:

- Rebalance appears to have corrected minor wobble at 85+

- While truck was in for service bought factory grey center caps. Not cheap at $35 each but look much better.

only thing I didnā€™t consider was that there appear to be two colors of factory caps? (black and gray). The grey caps look great on the stock 21s but I was considering having those coated black.

reality is that I will now probably hold off on that and order black 20 ATs at some point and just have best of both worlds. (Hey at least I got pre-increase pricingā€¦.thatā€™s what Iā€™m going to keep telling myself.)

Rivian R1T R1S North Atlanta Limestone R1T - Delivered Late June 2022 CB7DD212-B719-4A96-A640-6DC755BAB5F3

astonius

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cars
Minor updates:

- Rebalance appears to have corrected minor wobble at 85+

- While truck was in for service bought factory grey center caps. Not cheap at $35 each but look much better.

only thing I didnā€™t consider was that there appear to be two colors of factory caps? (black and gray). The grey caps look great on the stock 21s but I was considering having those coated black.

reality is that I will now probably hold off on that and order black 20 ATs at some point and just have best of both worlds. (Hey at least I got pre-increase pricingā€¦.thatā€™s what Iā€™m going to keep telling myself.)

CB7DD212-B719-4A96-A640-6DC755BAB5F3.jpeg
Love the caps and want the factory look, but damn $140 for a set? That's rich.

Sponsored

FutureTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Pre Order 10/2021, Delivered 8/2022
Wow, well my black wheel caps are coming tomorrow (Amazon, $17.99) and I will be painting them with PastiDip Grey.

Those factory ones are nice, just checked the Gear shop and they are not on there yet.

OP
OP
idiocyafoot

idiocyafoot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Updates:

- 20 AT Darks ordered and installed. Along with full-size spare kit.
- Fob and PaaK now work for ā€˜Readyā€™/Drive after Bluetooth module replaced.
- Remediation for Half-shaft Creak done by service center. (Havenā€™t looked listed super closely yet but definitely better. Hope it stays.)

Very Good Service Center experience(s) so far btw. Thank you to the Atlanta team.

- Wheel-Tire Covers for the 21s from Amazon
- Loading Ramps from Cycle Gear. Stow in gear tunnel perfectly.
- Ordered BuiltRight Molle Panel for Bed
- Got front tire chocks from CCRSport (waiting on BuiltRight Panel)

Rivian R1T R1S North Atlanta Limestone R1T - Delivered Late June 2022 79189A03-4ED7-4BCD-A2C6-674187ECE1DD

Rivian R1T R1S North Atlanta Limestone R1T - Delivered Late June 2022 A13C36EE-958A-4679-95D5-B183A1DF7A90

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
The 20ā€ dark wheels look awesome. Itā€™s the best looking OEM wheel option from Rivian.

I am sure the $3500 option seems like a bargain now compared to purchasing them after delivery!

OP
OP
idiocyafoot

idiocyafoot

First Name
Steve
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
The 20ā€ dark wheels look awesome. Itā€™s the best looking OEM wheel option from Rivian.

I am sure the $3500 option seems like a bargain now compared to purchasing them after delivery!
Yes and No. they were $5k for all 5 (and spare kit). So yeah not cheap.

But I have both sets now for that $5k Vs just the one set for $3500. So the way I look at it is I got what I originally wanted plus a set of factory oem 21 wheels and tires for an extra $1500. (I did exact same thing with my model a when I bought it. 19s and 21s. That one worked out a little better on the total cost.)

Unless my math is off or Iā€™m just being dense which could certainly be in play.
I may keep the 21s (especially if I see a big range hit and they give us ui capability to change wheelsā€¦for road trips) or I may sell them.

I do love the look. Will report back later on my thoughts on 21s vs 20s after I get some more miles on them.

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I do like your math. $5k for a set of 5 20ā€ dark wheels with tires AND the spare kit seems reasonable. It totally changes the appearance of the truck.

If optioned on your truck it would have been $4600 and you would not have the standard 21ā€ wheels and tires.
Sponsored