Sponsored

Normal amount of R1S suspension Pogo-ing?

opnwide

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S delivered 2/2023

Think this a normal amount of R1S suspension pogo on this tester Mule?
Sponsored

Last edited:

ATL_R1S

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
'23 R1S Adventure
Clubs

That looks completely normal given the conditions on that highway. Looks like many sections of urban highway that have pavement undulations every 20-30 feet or so. To me it appears that the air suspension is soaking that up appropriately and the oscillations in the body are not unusual at all given the weight of the vehicle. Compared to a standard coil spring suspension, this looks great for comfort. I would not call that "pogo-ing", which I would characterize by excessive rebound in the shock tuning. Also given that it's a pre-production R1S out testing, they very well may have been out accumulating data with various sensors to fine tune the suspension's compression and rebound settings on that section of road- on purpose. I wouldn't worry about it. Wait for production R1S models to be properly tested by 3rd parties before drawing any conclusions.

Speedrye

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Commodore, Supra, FJ Cruiser
Without knowing the road and seeing other cars in the same spot, it's hard to tell, but the R1S looks like it bounced 3-5 times before settling after hitting that concrete patchwork. Most any vehicle I've ever had will bounce once after a bigger bump. One compression and one rebound before being settled and going on. It was mentioned in another thread previously, but just slapping R1T suspension tuning into an R1S would be catastrophically bad, so I'm assuming this is just an early mule collecting data on various suspension settings. Exactly what I want Rivian to be doing.

zefram47

First Name
Aaron
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, C6 Corvette GS
Occupation
Software Engineer
Clubs

And this is what I was talking about after my test drive in the R1T. At the lowest and low ride heights the Rivian seems to be horribly under-damped and possibly under-sprung. With air suspension as you lower the ride height you effectively decrease the spring rate. Good suspension tuning would see one, maybe two, oscillations after a bump. Not this. This is bad. If it truly is under-sprung, I'm not sure if tuning the shock damping would change much...but maybe they can improve it with a software change.
Sponsored