Sponsored

Non-Rivian rooftop tents

EVTrucking

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Unknown
Clubs

Finally got around to installing my meadowlark, not bad. With Bike rack on other side

IMG_3384.jpg

IMG_3383.jpg

IMG_3382.jpg

IMG_3381.jpg
My Meadowlark arrived a few days ago but have not installed it yet.

I live in the Boise ID area and saw a FG R1T with rooftop tent, I wonder if that was you.

Picked up the Meadowlark on a Black Friday sale for $1295. Looking forward to trying it out.

Thank you for posting about yours.
Sponsored

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Wife gave the go ahead to buy a tent (part of me agreeing to letting us get another dog). Need a 4 person tent, prefer to mount to the bed. I am ok with the overhang. I will make a support for transport and in-use if the overhang is longer than the manufacturer says is ok. I prefer a hardshell, but softshell might be a better value. My wife isn't a huge tent fan, so I was thinking the hardshell might be a better choice to make sure she doesn't say "never again" after the first weekend, and be better for cold weather camping when it is just me and my boys (no way she is going camping when there is snow).

The leader for me at the present time is the Condor XL. After reading through this whole thread I have seen a few other options as well. My list now is:

Roofnest Condor XL
iKamper Skycamp 3.0
Smittybilt Overlander XL
Thule Tepui Explorer Autana
Overland Pros Anza 2000
iKamper X-Cover 2.0

It seems like the Skycamp would have to be above the cab, it is just too big. The rest are within the realm of possibility for over the bed.

obfuscurity

First Name
Jason
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Tesla Model 3, Audi SQ5
I prefer a hardshell, but softshell might be a better value.
I don't (yet) overland, and I don't own a RTT. However, I did a lot of research earlier and my takeaway is that soft tents can be a major PITA to stow after use (especially wrt moisture on a cold morning) and hardshell can help buffer wind. Aside from that, it sounds like the "livability" of both will be similar.

VermontR1T

First Name
Tyler
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
The latest IKamper brackets (3.0) work out of the box.
This may seem to be over-analyzing the RTT purchase, but does any one get concerned with catching your hands on those brackets? Since the base of the tent is so close to the bed, I imagine reaching into the bed from all angles will result in lot's of torn skin on those bare metal brackets. I have been leaning hard towards a Thule for that reason alone.

EVTrukHog

First Name
Matt
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
F150, Explorer, Corvette C6
This may seem to be over-analyzing the RTT purchase, but does any one get concerned with catching your hands on those brackets? Since the base of the tent is so close to the bed, I imagine reaching into the bed from all angles will result in lot's of torn skin on those bare metal brackets. I have been leaning hard towards a Thule for that reason alone.
I actually did encounter this last weekend during an outing... no torn skin, but did make contact while reaching under the bars for an item in the truck bed. However, I don't think this is a reason to avoid the iKamper/R1T combination... the brackets don't protrude that far below the crossbars - you just have to be aware if reaching in that vicinity. YMMV.

Sponsored

Ventura

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Red Canyon 20" / Prius
My Meadowlark arrived a few days ago but have not installed it yet.

I live in the Boise ID area and saw a FG R1T with rooftop tent, I wonder if that was you.

Picked up the Meadowlark on a Black Friday sale for $1295. Looking forward to trying it out.

Thank you for posting about yours.
I would certainly be interested in hearing an update on installation, travel, and use. The tent looks small but simple. If it has good mounts and the cover stays on well, it might be a good option.

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I've caught myself slightly on my thule brackets. Best to round off all the sharp edges and cut the bolts down to the exact right length. I haven't.

paco180

First Name
Carlos
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model 3
noticed R1T Tent is missing in the Gear shop. is it coming back? Is been offered for the R1S.