Allen
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, Hummer H1, Lotus Elise
Occupation
Equipment Manager
Clubs

When driving my Fusion Energi through Yellowstone and other parks I noticed you can drive right next to the animals almost without disturbing them when its in electric mode and its just more of a nature drive with the windows down and no sound. I cant wait for my offroading adventures to have that feel. Well and bonkers amounts of instant torque.

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
A feature that really spoke to me, was the 4 motor drive system. Not even sure why, it's not like I will ever rock crawl. But if I wanted to I could.
Yes, I think this is me too. And I'm not really sure why either - appeals to the geeky engineer part of me I guess.

I also want to see how they compare to Tesla. That goes for Lucid and Fisker and Hummer and... but there has to be a limit. My garage, nor my funds, are as extensive as Jay Leno's.

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

Have wanted an EV pickup for a number of years now after having a BoltEV since 2017. EVs are the best for nature watching/photography, which is our retirement hobby. Our BoltEV has shown us how great a clean quiet EV is for sneaking up on wildlife, seeing way more than in an ICE vehicle and just enjoying the back-country environment so much more. But, the Bolt can't take on the back roads we'd like to explore, so we've been waiting for a 4X4 EV pickup. The Rivian should be the first one available, we're NOT getting any younger, so that's what we're most excited about...finally getting the PU we've been waiting for, for over 4 years now.
I second that emotion. Drove over Steen's Mt. in Central Oregon in a friend's hybrid Highlander. We were able to roll alongside the herd of wild horses known as the Kiger Mustangs, named after the gorge included here. You'd never know you were in the middle of the desert with the salt flats of the Alvord Desert just the other side of the right side of the second photo. The desert and salt flats are several thousand feet below the summit. Now, Rivian just needs to add an RAN station in Burns, Oregon. Not a complaint, just Super-Entusiastic support for the dream of having DCFC charging nearby. ???

Rivian R1T R1S No Whining - Just Excitement ? Resized_20170808_144007_75495232593594(1)
Rivian R1T R1S No Whining - Just Excitement ? Resized_20170808_164026_75639118164841

Really looking forward to rolling through the countryside, valleys, and forests in stealth mode.

Sidenote: I hope the pedestrian sound effects that USDOT requires can be shut off when the safety overlords can tell we're off road. The new Toyota hybrids sound like a chorus of Angels. It always freaks me out. Again, NOT whining, just expressing excitement! ?

Last edited:

Sponsored

Bttrylfe

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Jeep Cherokee
Occupation
Battery Energy Storage Project Manager
Looking forward to never going to a gas station again, and inspiring others with my R1T to make the move to an EV.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Fantastic thread idea!

I’m going to cheat a little and say the one thing I’m looking forward to is off-roading in an EV built for it.

That includes driving quietly with the windows open which I imagine will be almost like sailing: being able to accelerate without making a ton of noise is so… graceful. It should be especially cool in canyons where ICE noise is reflected back at you.

In fact, I just realized we probably won’t need to use our walkie talkies when discussing how to place wheels with one person guiding from the front. Standing in front of our Land Rover, even at an idle, is not exactly a quiet and serene experience. Being able to have a conversation between the driver and someone in front of the vehicle in a normal volume should be achievable, depending on what cooling fans are running.

It also includes seeing what tech the engineers have developed related to per-wheel power delivery and the advanced suspension.

Finally, even though I may not use it again, I’m looking forward to the first tank-turn. I really appreciate that someone thought of this novel use of 4 independent motors.

edit: fixed some typos

Lil'O Annie

First Name
Becky
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
R1T LE/LG/FE, 2022 Lariat Lightning
Occupation
Farming, semi-retired
I second that emotion. Drove over Steen's Mt. in Central Oregon in a friend's hybrid Highlander. We were able to roll alongside the herd of wild horses known as the Kiger Mustangs, named after the gorge included here. You'd never know you were in the middle of the desert with the salt flats of the Alvord Desert just the other side of the right side of the second photo. The desert and salt flats are several thousand feet below the summit. Now, Rivian just needs to add an RAN station in Burns, Oregon. Not a complaint, just Super-Entusiastic support for the dream of having DCFC charging nearby. ???

Resized_20170808_144007_75495232593594(1).jpeg
Resized_20170808_164026_75639118164841.jpeg

Really looking forward to rolling through the countryside, valleys, and forests in stealth mode.

Sidenote: I hope the pedestrian sound effects that USDOT requires can be shut off when the safety overlords can tell we're off road. The new Toyota hybrids sound like a chorus of Angels. It always freaks me out. Again, NOT a complaint. ?
For legal reasons, Rivian will not be able/willing to tell us how to turn that pesky pedestrian noise off...but we'll find a way. :devil: Just pulled a fuse on my Bolt to do it. ADDED NOTE: I understand the safety need for the pedestrian sound, and I know people can't hear me coming in a parking lot, so I am extra careful when driving in those situations...much more than when I was driving and ICE.

Last edited:

DuckTruck

First Name
Duck
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Corvair, BMW325, Acura Legend, XC60, '16 Caddy ELR
Clubs

For legal reasons, Rivian will not be able/willing to tell us how to turn that pesky pedestrian noise off...but we'll find a way. :devil: Just pulled a fuse on my Bolt to do it. ADDED NOTE: I understand the safety need for the pedestrian sound, and I know people can't hear me coming in a parking lot, so I am extra careful when driving in those situations...much more than when I was driving and ICE.
I'm lucky that my ELR predates that noise requirement. It does have a pedestrian horn on the turn signal stalk which works very well and it's loud enough to catch their attention without startling them. When in town around peds, my fingertips are on it, and it's better received than hitting the full horn when encountering a non-attentive person.

Sponsored

Ladiver

First Name
Jeff
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
GMC 3500, Corvette Z06, Rivian R1T, Rivian R1S
Clubs

I look forward to racing my wife in her Z06! At least I think it might be close.

kanundrum

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Giulia QV, R1S (S00N)
Occupation
IT
Clubs

I would say quite a number of things but ill start with some interesting tidbits.

-Working in the government sector, years back (2018/2019) there was interest in the Military to purchase Rivians for fleet use but the JLTV by Oshkosh of course won (I am guessing Rivian didn't submit anything or wanted to go a different route). Currently there are other issues with Oshkosh and meeting demands of climate pledge in converting USPS truck. Since 2018/2019 Rivian peaked my interest at least in the back of my head.

-As time progressed I saw their design. Its a weird thing to describe but you get a "feeling" when something peaks your interest. I call it a Knack (from Dilbert) that sticks with you. I don't get it often about cars but when I do I have to go for it, I got it with my current fleet of cars including my appliance like hyundai and it has not steered me wrong (Saab, FT86, Alfa Giulia). Each vehicle has been special, has its own driving characteristics and have been a joy to own. I have no doubt in my mind and as seen from its specifications/technical details that a Rivian will fit the same bill.

-In terms of excitement, I love everything about how its a underdog (for now), it offers $110k+ vehicle like details (performance, interior, features) for way less than that, in theory the companies goal towards carbon 0 is one of the earliest I have seen (2028) of any major automotive companies. I think they are doing so many things right and they are being very meticulous on everything that I have full trust in them regardless of how they communicate because again, my gut feeling has lead me this far with out failing me.

Could probably talk a lot more but ill leave these bits for now haha.

Last edited:

Gshenderson

First Name
Greg
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2015 Tesla S 85D, 2019 4Runner TRD Offroad, R1T
Getting rid of two vehicles (Tesla S and 4Runner) and replacing them with one EV that satisfies all my needs.
Sponsored