First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN
My company has had several issues with this…

Early on cannabis Facilities we budgeted had to relocate to get power.
And remember they take and pay for all the power.

These “chargers” are show ponies…. They don’t have a high utilization factor…

This whole “the grid can’t support it” discussion is very real….

This is a way bigger discussion than “ How do I go to the U.P.”

I really like my Rivian but it is more like a boat or something at this point.

Not to say that it may work out eventually, but it might be a while….
Not sure what you even mean by a boat comment. Mine is a daily driver and easy to road trip anywhere for several hundred miles in any direction from me. Getting to the U.P. is already pretty darn easy with no less than 20 DCFC on that route already. The question was just about having the convenience and performance of the RAN on that route. Could easily make an argument that Rivian should have prioritized sites along routes in the country with far less options than this one, but looks like it will benefit us that might use this route sooner than later.

Rivian R1T R1S Finally RAN Grayling is ONLINE! 1667214316214
Sponsored

Reactions: VSG

parkside

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1-T and several ICE
Occupation
Business Owner
The boat comment is pretty self explanatory…

My Rivian stays at the dock, gets untied, goes for a ride ( say to the grocery store), comes back to the dock and gets tied up.

just like a boat. Actually it would be easier to take the boat on a trip.

As far as, “ Can one Rivian make it up I-75 ?” Sure it can. But look at the bigger picture. Manufacturers are doing their best to pump these EV’s out. Wait until the ”charger“ lines get long.

There is not enough easily accessible power to run them. Real power comes from power houses. Good luck on that.

The breakthrough will have to come through ”battery” technology. Everyone involved is throwing many, many millions of dollars at that.

Anyway, I am out on this….

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Not sure what you even mean by a boat comment. Mine is a daily driver and easy to road trip anywhere for several hundred miles in any direction from me. Getting to the U.P. is already pretty darn easy with no less than 20 DCFC on that route already. The question was just about having the convenience and performance of the RAN on that route. Could easily make an argument that Rivian should have prioritized sites along routes in the country with far less options than this one, but looks like it will benefit us that might use this route sooner than later.

1667214316214.png
Not to add fuel to the fire, but if you filter stations capable of 200+ kW on plugshare, you're basically stuck with EA at Bay City and Gaylord north of metro detroit. Those are the stations I stop at anyway right now. There hasn't been a line when I've been there, but all four stations were in use on one of my stops in Gaylord before we unplugged once. On a holiday weekend, I'd expect lines now if you're traveling up after work Friday.

EVerywhere

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
C8 Corvette, Cayenne, Mk8 GTI, KTM 350-XCFW
Occupation
Technology
Clubs

I live in SE Michigan and drive to Northern MI frequently. I really don’t care about the Grayling RAN chargers, there are 350 Kw chargers in Bay City and Gaylord, Grayling adds nothing. What would actually be useful are a couple of RAN chargers in the UP, such as Munising and Newberry. This would enable EV travel across the UP which is almost impossible now.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I live in SE Michigan and drive to Northern MI frequently. I really don’t care about the Grayling RAN chargers, there are 350 Kw chargers in Bay City and Gaylord, Grayling adds nothing. What would actually be useful are a couple of RAN chargers in the UP, such as Munising and Newberry. This would enable EV travel across the UP which is almost impossible now.
RAN map shows Mackinaw City, Seney, Manistique, and Marquette. I'm hoping to do a trip up into the Keweenaw next Summer, we should be able to swing doing that with the DCFC that is already installed in da yoop, it just isn't the optimal route since it will require staying on US-2 until US-141.

With the large pack truck, and a loaded 4 place snowmobile trailer, the gap between bay city and gaylord is likely questionable in the winter time. Not my personal complaint, but one of that of my EV resistant friends.

Sponsored

adamthp

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
The secret and by far the best way to get to the Keweenaw is, well, just to live here. Actually, scratch that. The Keweenaw is terrible. No one should come visit. You trolls all stay below the bridge where you belong.
😉

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

The secret and by far the best way to get to the Keweenaw is, well, just to live here. Actually, scratch that. The Keweenaw is terrible. No one should come visit. You trolls all stay below the bridge where you belong.
😉
I was on the five year plan at MTU. I know all about it. Can you name the spot in my profile photo?

adamthp

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
I’ll admit I’m a little stumped, but I see the Hurons and some stamp sand so I’m gonna go with Gay Sands for $500.

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

I’ll admit I’m a little stumped, but I see the Hurons and some stamp sand so I’m gonna go with Gay Sands for $500.
Basically right. Tobacco River Park.

adamthp

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Dang it, so close. I probably haven’t stopped there since I was a kid. It’s easy to forget how neat all the little roadside parks are around here.

Did you catch the news that The Nature Conservancy just bought 31,000 acres up here from a logging company. Access to all the best off the beaten path spots will be permanent and start to improve over time. It’s a good time to be living in the Copper County with a R1T to get ya into the woods.

Sponsored

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Dang it, so close. I probably haven’t stopped there since I was a kid. It’s easy to forget how neat all the little roadside parks are around here.

Did you catch the news that The Nature Conservancy just bought 31,000 acres up here from a logging company. Access to all the best off the beaten path spots will be permanent and start to improve over time. It’s a good time to be living in the Copper County with a R1T to get ya into the woods.
I did, it's exciting. I'd like to buy some property up there at some point. Something to put power onto and enough room to camp out. Riding distance to some of the MTB trails. Swedetown most likely.

adamthp

First Name
Adam
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model Y
Heck yeah! There should be a MTB Rivian Owners club!
I’m the president of the Copper Harbor Trails Club. We’ve got lots of exciting things coming down the pipeline!

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Heck yeah! There should be a MTB Rivian Owners club!
I’m the president of the Copper Harbor Trails Club. We’ve got lots of exciting things coming down the pipeline!
I was the president of the Clinton River Area Mountain Bike Association for a couple years. Termed out of being on the board this year. I've ridden a lot of trails but back when I was a student in 2008, the MTU trails were outside of my skill and fitness level. Exciting times we live in now though, lots of new trails popping up.

Last edited:
OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Stopped in today. The cardboard on the chargers looks like it's starting to rot. Really surprised at the lack of progress when they advertised this was a route they were working on. Seriously Rivian, what's the hold up?
Rivian R1T R1S Finally RAN Grayling is ONLINE! PXL_20221105_162956675

OP
OP
Dark-Fx

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation