No plates, Day 12 using rental car.

StefCT

First Name
Stefan
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model S
Follow-up to my situation: I got a UPS shipment notification email on 9/14 indicating my next day air package from Rivian was to be delivered on 9/15. Late that night I got a "delivery rescheduled" email because the tracking showed it was still in the "label created" status (which it is still showing today). Last night (9/19) I got a series of emails from UPS for a different tracking number which they delivered this morning -- I now have the paperwork to file things myself. This was never discussed or brought up in the very minimal number of communications I've had with Rivian or my guide.

At least you got a note to tell you what it was for, I didn't even get that in my envelope.

So, couple questions for the people who have had to deal with this:
1. Rivian charged a $225 documentation fee in addition to sales tax and Title & Registration fees. Does that get refunded, or is it only the tax & title/reg fees?
2. How long did it take Rivian to refund you that money, and what method did they use to refund it?

If I could get my guide on the phone to talk through this I'd feel a lot better and be much less annoyed but any time I call, regardless of the time of day, it just rolls to voicemail and the greeting is vague so I don't even know if it is his or just some generic group mailbox. And I can't seem to find the "schedule a call" option any more. I used that back when he was initially assigned when I needed to confirm my configuration, but now I can't seem to find it anywhere.

I guess the good news is I'll at least be able to get proper plates, whenever I can spare the time to go to the Treasurer's Office.
You get all the fees refunded to you, including doc fees.

I got a check by UPS about a week after the docs arrived.

guides know very little about the process except to request self registration.
Sponsored

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

I paraphrased the note previously, here it is in full, on Rivian letterhead:

Dear Customer,

This packet contains the documentation you need to complete your vehicle's registration at your local Department of Motor Vehicles. Please take this packet and any other state-required documentation such as driver's license, insurance information, and payment to your local DMV. If you have a co-registrant or are registering under a business, please make sure you have the appropriate people or other documentation present when you go to the DMV.

Thank you,

Rivian Title & Registration Team
Note that the UPS came from Rivian itself, not RegUSA. And like LeDiable, I got a delivery notification, then a reschedule, then a second delivery notification that was accurate. (Here I had been hoping it was my all-weather floor mats arriving early.)

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
I'm getting the self-registration documents sent to me tomorrow (same day my tag expires). Was notified I have a rental car available starting today too, for up to 20 days. If I get the paperwork tomorrow, I'm not even going to bother with it.

This is a real mess that Rivian needs to fix. My wife thinks they need to send us all swag to compensate, but I'm not that guy. As long as I can get my truck registered and drive it, I don't really care.

Sean

First Name
Sean
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T!
Clubs

Georgia here... Temp tags expire 9/16... Been following up with my Guide for several weeks when I first saw this thread. Was told that everything was sent in on 9/7 then was told an expected completion date of 9/28 :( and as of today, still no record though in the GA system.

In the meantime since the temp tag wasn't from GA, they have no record and can't grant an extension. I also called Illinois Secretary of State and they make no exceptions to grant extensions (and I don't even know if they could for this and the person I talked with was just totally confused and was just asking me why Rivian took so long to file... I'm like, I KNOW but its not the reason I called).

Driving on expired tag is like a $125 fine here so I might just risk it/deal with it. Am I missing something else?
Update - got my tags today. Registration got submitted early Sept and in the GA system about a week ago. Officially drove only about 5-7 days prior to it being in the system, unofficially went 12 days with expired tags.

In the meantime, I worked out with my guide that Rivian would cover any fines as opposed to doing a rental (thankfully never got pulled over).

NooterIA

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
was a 2019 Ram
Occupation
IT Stuff
Just curious, how much was the refund check you guys got from Riv? I'm in the same boat doing the reg myself..

Sponsored

camaroz1985

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, ID.4
Occupation
Engineer
Just curious, how much was the refund check you guys got from Riv? I'm in the same boat doing the reg myself..
Just got my refund check today (4 business days after I received the paperwork). Refund was for "Vehicle Sales Tax" + " Vehicle License, Registration, Transfer, and Titling Fees" + " Documentation Fee"

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
FYI - I just reached out to Rivian again. Despite receiving my temporary registration in the mail earlier this month, I have still not received anything from the state. Additionally, Rivian was supposed to send me a refund check within 3-4 weeks. It's now over 5 and I haven't received anything.

On the bright side, they did send me a backpack and water bottle with a handwritten apology card in it, which was nice. I'd rather them have been more thoughtful about actually doing the job right the first time, or following through the second time though. :(

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T
Well, as of yesterday, the saga is over for me. In an overnight FedEx from RegUSA was my PA state registration. Nearly 5 months to the day of delivery.

Also, earlier in the week I received a refund from Rivian, too. I was also able to confirm that my financing company received the title to perfect the loan about a week or so ago - 5 days before the deadline.

Hopefully the trailblazing us early adopters are doing will be paying off for folks later down the line.

TripWir3d

First Name
Joel
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
Occupation
Military
Well, as of yesterday, the saga is over for me. In an overnight FedEx from RegUSA was my PA state registration. Nearly 5 months to the day of delivery.

Also, earlier in the week I received a refund from Rivian, too. I was also able to confirm that my financing company received the title to perfect the loan about a week or so ago - 5 days before the deadline.

Hopefully the trailblazing us early adopters are doing will be paying off for folks later down the line.
Glad it finally made it in time! I'm still waiting on the impossible Nevada registration struggle bus... Had the truck since the end of May - guess we will see if I can top your 5 months!

MoreTrout

First Name
Jay
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford Fusion Hybrid, Rivian R1T
Occupation
Retired USN

Texted my guide at the beginning of the month as planned to request what I needed to self register. He quickly replied and said he had documentation they sent a self registration package at the beginning of September, and when he found out I never received it said he immediately requested they send it again. That was over a week ago and nothing. Waiting to see what he says Monday morning now that its only 2 weeks until my temp tags expire. My guide has been great and responds quickly the couple of times I reached out to him. He's about to hear from me much more frequently until I see the package. Good to know you and others eventually got it done. Gives me a little hope I'll still be able to drive the truck in 2 weeks.

Atlrivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Grand Cherokee, XC90
Clubs

I have my own registration mess to add to the thread:

Aug 12: Insurance obtained during 12 steps from Rivian / Nationwide insurance.
Aug 16: Took possession of the vehicle.
Oct 14 1000: Sent text to guide after not being able to speak on the phone asking for update on my plates / registration.
Oct 17 1220: Guide responds that she is waiting to hear back from registration team.
Oct 18 (today): Received email that states: "I've received word from the title and registration team. They've informed me that your insurance agent has to update the GA DMV website indicating the Rivian is an insured vehicle. Please reach out to your insurance agent..."

I've now spent 45 min on the phone with a Nationwide customer service rep trying to get this done. She is very confused because normally this is all done automatically when the car is initially insured. Still trying to figure out how to force the Nationwide system to resend the confirmation to Georgia's insurance database (GEICS I believe).

My problems:
1) Why did it take me initiating an inquiry with this? Isn't the new and improved title team/registration team supposed to be taking care of this??? What is the prompt in their system that indicates an error?
2) Shouldn't someone at Nationwide have picked this up?

I have a VERY strong suspicion that I will be going to the DMV in a few weeks and self-registering. I'm getting a nauseating deja vu for when my mortgage company (Ally mortgage) could not figure out how to pay my property taxes. Only spent ~20-30 hours on the phone over the course of >50 phone calls to have the luxury of going down to the county office and paying the taxes myself.
Sponsored