No plates, Day 12 using rental car.

bdavis171

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Anyone else waiting on license plates? I'm currently on day 12 of my Rivian provided rental car here in MN. I've heard nothing since picking up my rental.
Sponsored

HokieBird7980

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Alpina B7, Mercedes GL550, Hyundai Tuscon
Occupation
Chief Commercial Officer, Pharmaceuticals
Clubs

I'm in NC and they delivered my R1T with temporary tags that had 90 days expiry on them. Nearly 60 days in they sent me a notice and packet stating they couldn't register the car in NC and that they were sending me all the documents to do it. They also said they'd provide me a refund of the state taxes and fees that needed to be paid, but were already paid in my 8 step process to buy the R1T. That's over $3,200. It's been over 4 weeks since that time and no word of refund. Got my plate from local DMV, but I'm now out another $3,200 until Rivian decides to reimburse me for something they said they'd take care of. Guide has passed the buck on to another department and even escalated it. Crickets so far on where my check is.

Not sure if there's a similar issue in MN, but that's what I've been through to date. Love the truck, but this system of registering in all states needs to be worked out.

coshesey

First Name
Paul
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2023 Rivian R1S
Occupation
Director Home Services
This is so weird. I purchased in CA so I know it is not MN, but I have never received plates as fast as I did with Rivian. I got them in the mail 5 working days after I purchased it.

Bought on Saturday and got in the mail on Friday.

PK

OP
OP
bdavis171

bdavis171

First Name
Brandon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Found it in the DMV system at least. But math says at least 4-5 weeks to wait.

"Your vehicle title was applied for on 15-Aug-2022. Vehicle Services is currently processing applications received on 21-Jul-2022. Once your application has been processed, please allow seven to fourteen days to receive your title."

The guide states I should receive it by Aug 30th. I think this is the 4 date the guide has given me.

FirstStateR1T

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list, I have a problem!
Occupation
Mech. E/GM/COO
Clubs

I am fast approaching my temp tag expiration date of 8/27/22... I pray I dont have to go to my local DMV as I have already tinted my front glass and they would require I remove this only to make me redo it once I have tags. Getting tint waivers in Delaware are increasingly hard and if I get plates through Rivian its a pass for 5yrs!

Sponsored

thedole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Occupation
Brewmeister
I just drove for a month with expired plates. Not a huge deal in Portland as no cops here anymore!!!! My plates were shipped from the DMV to NY and then forwarded from NY to me which added to the delay. Total time was 4 months from purchase to plates.

RWerksman

Site Sponsor
First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Jeep & R1T

Jhcauto

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Wrangler 4xe, R1T Preorder (2021)
Occupation
Military
I am fast approaching my temp tag expiration date of 8/27/22... I pray I dont have to go to my local DMV as I have already tinted my front glass and they would require I remove this only to make me redo it once I have tags. Getting tint waivers in Delaware are increasingly hard and if I get plates through Rivian its a pass for 5yrs!
Hey FirstState, I'm currently active military in MA but am registering my truck in Delaware (born and raised). I expect to take delivery by the end of the week, just waiting on the final call. How long ago did you receive your truck/start the registration process? I know DE is backed way up with title work so I was considering requesting the paperwork myself to do it in person. Thanks!

Update: Saw your other thread about 3 months of ownership. Did DE accept the Rivian temp tag, and did you transfer a plate or request a new one?

Last edited:

Taco Corp

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
Clubs

I had my delivery on 6/1 in WA and got the plates about a week ago. I think that's on the state DOL though. Still haven't gotten the title though.

CommodoreAmiga

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
INACTIVE
I'm in this shitshow with you. My temp plates expired about a week ago. Just today I told them that I wanted an equivalent Rivian loaner or for them to cover my payments while the truck has to legally sit. To me, the Enterprise rental is not an acceptable solution at all.
I agree on the rental. I was really annoyed that Rivian wanted my truck for ~1 week for service and they thought a Nissan Versa or Toyota Corolla was an acceptable rental. No. I know there aren't many R1T loaners to go around, so I'd accept another EV. I know companies rent Teslas and Polestars! Honestly, I'd be fine with a Chevy Bolt loaner. I really don't want to deal with gas anymore.

Sponsored

thedole

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE
Occupation
Brewmeister

mgc0216

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, BMW R1200RT, BMW F800GS
Occupation
Software guy
Clubs

Same boat. My temp tags expire in 5 days. I'm less worried about that as I can't see the cops bothering me for it, and if they do I'll likely just get a fixit ticket.

What I'm more concerned about is my lender hasn't gotten the title, and I don't want them to convert my vehicle loan to an unsecured loan since they don't technically have collateral.

FirstStateR1T

First Name
Eric
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Too many to list, I have a problem!
Occupation
Mech. E/GM/COO
Clubs

Hey FirstState, I'm currently active military in MA but am registering my truck in Delaware (born and raised). I expect to take delivery by the end of the week, just waiting on the final call. How long ago did you receive your truck/start the registration process? I know DE is backed way up with title work so I was considering requesting the paperwork myself to do it in person. Thanks!

Update: Saw your other thread about 3 months of ownership. Did DE accept the Rivian temp tag, and did you transfer a plate or request a new one?
Best I can tell they accepted Rivian's temp tag, and my guide has told me it's in the DE DMV system and I should have tags [S=0===0=N]... I did not transfer a plate from my old daily to the truck. I will be contacting my guide again today to press the subject!

Jhcauto

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Wrangler 4xe, R1T Preorder (2021)
Occupation
Military
Best I can tell they accepted Rivian's temp tag, and my guide has told me it's in the DE DMV system and I should have tags [S=0===0=N]... I did not transfer a plate from my old daily to the truck. I will be contacting my guide again today to press the subject!
Fingers crossed for you man! I appreciate the reply!

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Is there a way to select to do this ourselves?

I'm in TX and have learned the hard way after three out-of-state purchases that the dealers will collect the taxes etc., and then refund them after a few months of trying. I just bought another car in May and warned the dealership about this and they assured me that they knew what they were doing. Two months later they refunded the money and asked me to do it myself. So, Rivian is not alone. Probably has to do more with the very efficient DMV people.
Sponsored