Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model-Y, VW GTI, Holden Commodore (Chevy SS)
Occupation
Engineer, Business Owner, Sales Guy
Fremont. The vehicles get pushed out the door and the service centers get stuck fixing issues when owners complain.

A classic case of Stupid or Liar... Either the assembly and inspection people are stupid (undertrained) or they are Lying (playing dumb) and forcing you to catch them.
Sponsored

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
My big question: Are the Austin Model Y’s being assembled with tighter tolerances and build quality than Fremont?

s12dxer

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE - LA Silver
Clubs

They repainted the entire hood. No other option. They are in the clear coat.
How long was the wait for you to get the paint done? Did they give you a loaner or a rental? I'm awaiting a "repair plan" for my stripes to get fixed.

OP
OP
harkco

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
A classic case of Stupid or Liar... Either the assembly and inspection people are stupid (undertrained) or they are Lying (playing dumb) and forcing you to catch them.
How did you adjust? Just unscrew the bolts by the window and push forward?

OP
OP
harkco

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
here is how the hood gaps should fit. I had to fix my own truck. Rivian messed with it, made it worse and chipped my paint. I fixed it at my shop in 20 min.

4C92EEC8-0EFF-46E4-85F9-7B4E91A2F028.jpeg
C18E6810-9ECB-476B-AFBE-E30A6D2823AF.jpeg
@3121 What adjustments did you make if you don’t mind me asking. I may give this a shot tomorrow.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
@3121 What adjustments did you make if you don’t mind me asking. I may give this a shot tomorrow.
Yes you just adjust at the mounts but it's tricky and easier with two people. Use some rolled up towels at the top edge of the hood to keep it from moving too far back. The Hood it tricky since you can only loosen/tighten it when it's lifted. You have to loosen it just a bit so there is still grip and not too much play. Proceed at your own risk, even Rivian scratched up my truck and supposedly they have body work training 🙄...

My fenders also needed to be adjusted to make everything fit up front. careful you don't open Pandora's box

OP
OP
harkco

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Yes you just adjust at the mounts but it's tricky and easier with two people. Use some rolled up towels at the top edge of the hood to keep it from moving too far back. The Hood it tricky since you can only loosen/tighten it when it's lifted. You have to loosen it just a bit so there is still grip and not too much play. Proceed at your own risk, even Rivian scratched up my truck and supposedly they have body work training 🙄...

My fenders also needed to be adjusted to make everything fit up front. careful you don't open Pandora's box
How in the heck did you adjust the fenders? I don’t see an easy way to get at those.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
How in the heck did you adjust the fenders? I don’t see an easy way to get at those.
Pop the hood and pop the trim off along the fenders. Take the front bumper cover off, wheel arch trim and fender liners out.

The fender needed to be relaxed a bit and shimmed up on the passenger side with a couple stainless washers. Had to move the headlight up a touch in its mount after that. Nothing too major though.

Nothing like our Model Y where the hatch sat proud about 1/2” on the drivers side. I had to drop the headliner and remove the whole rear hatch to access the hatch hinges. The drivers side hinge then needed to be completely removed and repaired. Looked like the assembly line robot over-torqued the alignment set screw which allows the robots to install and line up the hatch before torquing down.

with the right tools it was not hard to drill out the snapped set screw and tap a new thread to replace it. It took three people 3hrs and a handful of replacement clips for the headliner.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
My big question: Are the Austin Model Y’s being assembled with tighter tolerances and build quality than Fremont?
Almost the entire car is assembled by robots at both factories. It will always be a system of corrections and adjustments by humans at the end of the line. I suspect Austin has improved processes but when you turn the assembly line up to 11 you will always have more issues with fit and paint.

OP
OP
harkco

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Pop the hood and pop the trim off along the fenders. Take the front bumper cover off, wheel arch trim and fender liners out.

The fender needed to be relaxed a bit and shimmed up on the passenger side with a couple stainless washers. Had to move the headlight up a touch in its mount after that. Nothing too major though.

Nothing like our Model Y where the hatch sat proud about 1/2” on the drivers side. I had to drop the headliner and remove the whole rear hatch to access the hatch hinges. The drivers side hinge then needed to be completely removed and repaired. Looked like the assembly line robot over-torqued the alignment set screw which allows the robots to install and line up the hatch before torquing down.

with the right tools it was not hard to drill out the snapped set screw and tap a new thread to replace it. It took three people 3hrs and a handful of replacement clips for the headliner.
I tackled the hood this morning. It’s about as even and flush at the windshield end as humanly possible. The paper towel recommendation worked like a charm. As for the fenders, I’ll save that for another day. More time and patience than I currently have. The remainder of the alignment issues on the front are due to the fenders from what I can tell. Thanks for the help!
Sponsored