Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Model-Y, VW GTI, Holden Commodore (Chevy SS)
Occupation
Engineer, Business Owner, Sales Guy
They didn’t reinstall your hood properly. The hood should fit flush with the front of the fenders when closed. Looks like your hood is sitting about a 1/4 in back from the tip of the fenders when closed. Check if it’s rubbing on the fender trim up at the top corners near the windshield when opened and closed.

Do you know if the body shop blended the paint into the fenders and grille or just removed the hood and respray it solo?

It’s Hard to get an exact color match on paint mixed on different days. Usually you blend the paint into other panels to hide the slight variance.

I would check the paint depth with a paint meter and see if the took the hood down to bare metal or just layered on over the existing paint. Paint depth should be fairly even across the whole car.
Sponsored

OP
OP
harkco

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE / 2018 Lexus GX
They didn’t reinstall your hood properly. The hood should fit flush with the front of the fenders when closed. Looks like your hood is sitting about a 1/4 in back from the tip of the fenders when closed. Check if it’s rubbing on the fender trim up at the top corners near the windshield when opened and closed.

Do you know if the body shop blended the paint into the fenders and grille or just removed the hood and respray it solo?

It’s Hard to get an exact color match on paint mixed on different days. Usually you blend the paint into other panels to hide the slight variance.

I would check the paint depth with a paint meter and see if the took the hood down to bare metal or just layered on over the existing paint. Paint depth should be fairly even across the whole car.
Hah - don't rain on my parade (jk)! The hood has been like that since day 1. I asked about it a while back and was told by head of service that it is within their tolerance. I'm sure Rivian will make adjustments in the future. They did not blend fenders - as they are wrapped and the shop has done multiple R1Ts at this point. They did say ahead of time they might have to, but ended up not needing to. I did, however, inspect it very closely upon pickup with a brand new silver R1T side by side and could tell zero difference. The silver one they had at the service center did not have any striping.

OP
OP
harkco

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I’ve got some striping effect on the hood of my launch green R1T. It’s only visible in direct sunlight and almost looks like a buffer was run across it in a zigzag but not overlapping pattern. You really have to look for it to see it, but I’m gonna ask the service guys about it when it’s in for a couple of other minor f&f issue week after next.

You can sort of see it in this pic.

1654285390057.jpeg
That looks like someone tried to buff something out. I think something similar happened with my rear glass. It had some paint splotches covered with scratches. Like someone tried to scratch them off the glass prior to delivery.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Hah - don't rain on my parade (jk)! The hood has been like that since day 1. I asked about it a while back and was told by head of service that it is within their tolerance. I'm sure Rivian will make adjustments in the future. They did not blend fenders - as they are wrapped and the shop has done multiple R1Ts at this point. They did say ahead of time they might have to, but ended up not needing to. I did, however, inspect it very closely upon pickup with a brand new silver R1T side by side and could tell zero difference. The silver one they had at the service center did not have any striping.

Sorry didn't mean for that to sound like was peeing in your cornflakes. I do body work and build custom cars so I'm pretty matter of fact with stuff like this. Most body shops are not great and with Rivian being so new not a lot of experience out there. Just looking out for my fellow Rivian Forums friends 😁

The wrap will hide some of the paint variance and if you plan to wrap the hood too then it will be hard to notice.

The hood should be shifted forward 1/4 in. In the current position I would be surprised if it's not rubbing and bending the black trim on the fender up near the windshield. That rubbing will deform the trim and rub the paint off the hood corners/edges over time.

OP
OP
harkco

harkco

First Name
Kevin
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Sorry didn't mean for that to sound like was peeing in your cornflakes. I do body work and build custom cars so I'm pretty matter of fact with stuff like this. Most body shops are not great and with Rivian being so new not a lot of experience out there. Just looking out for my fellow Rivian Forums friends 😁

The wrap will hide some of the paint variance and if you plan to wrap the hood too then it will be hard to notice.

The hood should be shifted forward 1/4 in. In the current position I would be surprised if it's not rubbing and bending the black trim on the fender up near the windshield. That rubbing will deform the trim and rub the paint off the hood corners/edges over time.
No worries at all. I will give it a look and see if any adjustment can be made. It has looked that way, however, since I received it from the factory. I even pointed it out when they delivered and had a service guy check again when they came out to look at the glass. And yes, it will get wrapped with xpel stealth in a few weeks. I'm not too concerned about minor variations. It is much better than before.

Sponsored

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
here is how the hood gaps should fit. I had to fix my own truck. Rivian messed with it, made it worse and chipped my paint. I fixed it at my shop in 20 min.

Rivian R1T R1S No More Tiger Stripes on Paint -- fixed by Rivian Service along with Rivian also rear window replacement 4C92EEC8-0EFF-46E4-85F9-7B4E91A2F028
Rivian R1T R1S No More Tiger Stripes on Paint -- fixed by Rivian Service along with Rivian also rear window replacement C18E6810-9ECB-476B-AFBE-E30A6D2823AF

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
I’ve got some striping effect on the hood of my launch green R1T. It’s only visible in direct sunlight and almost looks like a buffer was run across it in a zigzag but not overlapping pattern. You really have to look for it to see it, but I’m gonna ask the service guys about it when it’s in for a couple of other minor f&f issue week after next.

You can sort of see it in this pic.

1654285390057.jpeg
I'm assuming that Rivian is well aware of the LA Silver paint issues at this point. Did you by chance hear anything from them on whether they are working on fixing this at the factory yet? I haven't seen many reports of people taking delivery on LA Silver trucks recently, so wondering if perhaps this is still an issue that is now delaying delivery.
Interesting…from the pic, just seems like it could be buffed out. #noexpert

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I agree. I’m pretty anal when it comes to panel alignment and gaps. The hood misalignment was the first thing I noticed when looking at your repaired truck photo.

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
No worries at all. I will give it a look and see if any adjustment can be made. It has looked that way, however, since I received it from the factory. I even pointed it out when they delivered and had a service guy check again when they came out to look at the glass. And yes, it will get wrapped with xpel stealth in a few weeks. I'm not too concerned about minor variations. It is much better than before.
It is so much better aligned than mine was…I’m borderline ocd and yours looks fine. 😁

DaveA

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T
here is how the hood gaps should fit. I had to fix my own truck. Rivian messed with it, made it worse and chipped my paint. I fixed it at my shop in 20 min.

4C92EEC8-0EFF-46E4-85F9-7B4E91A2F028.jpeg
C18E6810-9ECB-476B-AFBE-E30A6D2823AF.jpeg
Guess I know who to bring my replacement to if it’s off when I pick it up next week. 😁

Sponsored

NY_Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021 Model 3 LR AWD, 2017 BMW i3 REX, 2023 R1T
Occupation
IT
The hood has been like that since day 1. I asked about it a while back and was told by head of service that it is within their tolerance.
Major Tesla flashback alert!!! "it's within spec"... o_O ... it's happening :mad:

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
I rejected 2 Model Y VIN’s because of paint, panel gaps and alignment issues. The 3rd VIN was 99% perfect and I finally accepted.

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
I rejected 2 Model Y VIN’s because of paint, panel gaps and alignment issues. The 3rd VIN was 99% perfect and I finally accepted.
Our M-Y was laughable on door, hatch and hood fitment. The paint was decent and correctable so we accepted it and I fixed everything myself. I did have mobile service come out and replace the charge port since the door was wonky and there is no way to adjust it. The kid forgot to reinstall the tail light rubber seals and they filled with water the next week...I found them on the shop floor where he did the work and fixed that myself too. Window motor went out on our passenger side front door, guy came out to fix that. Then door leaked water into the cabin afterwards. Tesla guy didn't torque the access panel for the motor and glass to spec and was allowing water to leak out the bottom of the door panel. On a positive note the car has been rock solid mechanically.

Nobody works on your car like you would...

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Fremont. The vehicles get pushed out the door and the service centers get stuck fixing body alignment/gap issues when owners complain.

Last edited:

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Guess I know who to bring my replacement to if it’s off when I pick it up next week. 😁
Haha - Most of my friends take me with them to inspect their Tesla's... I should start a mobile inspection service. Happy to FaceTime on delivery day if you want 😉

There are VERY RARE exceptions but you just never see this on the traditional brands, especially Ford, GM, Toyota, Honda or the German brands... FCA I've seen some odd panel stamping but still pretty rare for fitment issues. Part of it is what was discussed in the Munro video posted this week tearing down the Rivian front end. The engineers add too much complexity with fasteners and need to consult more with the assembly teams on how to simplify install and fitment for consistency. More snap together and molded fitment vs. fasteners. This will change with time and experience.
Sponsored