• Electrochromic Roof
  • Lidar
  • L3 autonomous driving
:confused:

Seriously though:
  • Stupid Bluetooth speaker
  • Stupid POS wireless charging mat
  • Flashlight that I've never used
  • Power tonneau cover (a manual rollback one would be fine)
  • Power charging port cover (a manual rollback one would be fine)
Between those five features, we would be well into the four digits per vehicle. Literally $25M-$500M per year for stuff that are most likely not dealbreakers. That doesn't even factor in the warranty savings.
Totally reasonable observations here, but FWIW the four you listed that they actually did cut represent comparatively enormous costs and in some cases (Lidar/L3) practically unlimited quagmires. IMO Rivian has been pretty smart here, though there's clearly room to streamline (and just fix/eliminate totally broken things like the charger.)
Sponsored

wicked2112

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru Outback & CrossTrek
Occupation
Warranty & Product Integrity Manager - Yakima Racks.
Clubs

F that. I put my order in for a specific vehicle with specific features over two years ago. That’s the truck I want.
AMEN!!! R1S as ordered or nothing!

Dark-Fx

First Name
Brian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Polestar 2, R1T, R1S, Livewire One, Fisker Ocean
Occupation
Engineering
Clubs

Yep, I've thought about that configuration. I just hate putting bikes on the roof.
It's not too bad on the Bolt. Sucks on the Rivian. My preferred place to put bikes in the winter time though, since the road grime and salt just destroy bike components. I've been keeping my fat bike over the bed in the Rivian but it seems to pick up more road salt than I expected.

To answer the OP though, the camp speaker is about the only thing my R1T has that I'd be fine with being decontented to save money. Maybe have the bed carriers changed to stake pockets, but I kinda like the Rivian way.

Oh, and the chiliwich mats, which are probably never going back in.

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Take out the camp speaker and all the charging for it and put a lockable pull out drawer in its place. It would be cheaper, and people would PAY for that as an upgrade. Just a keyed lock no need to get fancy with it.
They could even leave the existing electric lock hardware in the void and include the same anchor point at the back of the drawer. No need for the owner to keep a physical key for the storage when everything else is keyless. Leave the existing speaker locking behavior and/or add on-screen PIN to lock and unlock.

domoplaytime

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T Adventure
Clubs

I use my camp speaker several times a week when I'm exercising in my garage. After buying the R1T I can no longer afford to buy a dedicated speaker. 😆

Sponsored

s00n

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Cayenne S - Jeep LJ Rubicon - R1S
The first thing I said when I pulled out the camp speaker on the first mile drive was 'I can't believe this thing comes standard', and not in a good way. Love it, sharp design, will never use. They should've put a pull out drawer there (cup holders?) and had the speaker in the gear shop.

And with all this waiting Im sure I still would've just bought it anyway :CWL:

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Only accepting deletions at this time
I would pay extra for them to delete the R1S split tailgate and 3rd row armrests. Although I see some utility to them, with those 2 deletions, we would be wide enough for 48" sheet goods which is something I would value even more.

I would also pay extra for the R1S sliding tiedowns to be deleted. I'll never use them and they will scratch cargo unless covered. And Sandy says those rails are expensive.

Although I do like them, I could live without the 2nd row screen and 2nd row seat heat.

R1Tom

First Name
Tom
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Riv R1T
Occupation
Sales
I want to make sure I understand this thread....what is being said is people will pay current pricing....for same truck....minus these features....to allow Rivian to increase profit? Or are people saying these are just items they wouldn't pay for if given the choice?

AlpMan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
LE R1T, 4Runner
Occupation
Doing stuff
I want to make sure I understand this thread....what is being said is people will pay current pricing....for same truck....minus these features....to allow Rivian to increase profit? Or are people saying these are just items they wouldn't pay for if given the choice?
Yes :)

sub

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, Tesla Model 3
Ohh one more.

Delete the R1S shorter wheelbase "feature"

This should count as a deletion since it would simplify production to have both the s and t the same length.

I would pay significantly more (10k) for that deletion. More cargo space. Higher towing capacity. Room for the max battery pack.

Sponsored

ElCapiTan

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T, Mustang
Occupation
Computer Janitor
They could even leave the existing electric lock hardware in the void and include the same anchor point at the back of the drawer. No need for the owner to keep a physical key for the storage when everything else is keyless. Leave the existing speaker locking behavior and/or add on-screen PIN to lock and unlock.
Rivian needs to make this happen. I'd gladly shell out some cash on the gear shop for a lockable drawer with a pin on the screen that replaces/swaps with the camp speaker. It would be a lot easier than what I rigged up.

OP
OP
duessell

duessell

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T and Chrysler Pacifica PHEV
I do love the convenience of hauling bikes in a truck bed (although it's a bit impaired by the Rivian's short bed and the preciousness of the tailgate), but it's got to be one of the least "need a truck" truck tasks of all time. You can safely carry four bikes on a Miata if you want to.
It's definitely a want and not a need. I'd settle for a hitch receiver that could handle at least 600 lbs. (Though even that is a want rather than a need.)

SoCal Rob

First Name
Rob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S & VW ID.4
Occupation
Information Technology
Clubs

Rivian needs to make this happen. I'd gladly shell out some cash on the gear shop for a lockable drawer with a pin on the screen that replaces/swaps with the camp speaker. It would be a lot easier than what I rigged up.
I completely agree that Rivian should make this available. Ideally they’d ship the vehicles with nothing in the dock and let the SC put in the customer’s choice of camp speaker or storage. If Rivian did that I suspect they’d be shocked at how many people would opt for secure, storage within reach of the driver and front passenger. There may be some people out there who are early adopters without an existing BT speaker or who want the speaker simply because it costs more to make, but I bet Rivian could increase their margin on at least 50% of what they sell.

Mike TDM

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Website
www.youtube.com
Vehicles
11 Chevy Volt, 11 Camaro 1SS, 02 Chevy 2500HD,
Occupation
Retired
Last edited:

iansriv

First Name
Ian
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
The adjustable suspension is expensive, but does make a difference with efficiency. Although if it is not reliable then it would just be a big waste. Jury is still out on that I guess.
Snap!
Sponsored