First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
17 volvo xc90, 19 gmc terrain
Occupation
operating engineer
Any word on anything yet coming to NJ charging wise? Up in north jersey here, just reserved an r1t and cant find any info on charging stations coming near us.
Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
The DC fast charging picture in northern Jersey is pretty grim right now but you won't be doing your charging at fast charging stations. Fast charging is for road trips. Get copied of PlugShare to shpw you where stations are and ABRP to plan trips. Install Level 2 charging at home. That's where most charging is done.

OP
OP

iKnowKenMeadows

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
operating engineer
Yeah that’s the plan, just curious about it is all, I feel like the future is adapters to fit other charging stations, the infrastructure to have all seperate gm/Ford/Tesla/Riv etc etc etc charging stations is just not realistic, it’s gonna have to become universal

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
Yeah that’s the plan, just curious about it is all, I feel like the future is adapters to fit other charging stations, the infrastructure to have all seperate gm/Ford/Tesla/Riv etc etc etc charging stations is just not realistic, it’s gonna have to become universal
No adapter will be needed for Rivians to use pretty much any public charging station. Everybody but Tesla has settled on J1772 (for level 2 charging) and the CCS J1772Combo (for DC fast charging) plug standards. There might be some older stations with Chademo only, but those are rare and will be lower power anyway.

OP
OP

iKnowKenMeadows

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
operating engineer
That’s excellent I wasn’t aware of that, thank you! Forum paying dividends already… now we just need our trucks ?

Sponsored

ajdelange

First Name
A. J.
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla XLR+2019, Lexus, Landcruiser, R1T
Occupation
EE Retired
That’s excellent I wasn’t aware of that, thank you! Forum paying dividends already… now we just need our trucks
Don't get too excited. Use PlugShare to show you where stations are. There are lots and lots of J1772 stations out there but they are pretty much useless for charging as they are so slow. Stations that deliver 50 kW or more are not plentiful. J1772 is fine at home because you have all night. If you are on they road they are better than nothing but not by a whole lot. Use ABRP to plan some trips and see where you can charge and still get there in reasonable time. It isn't as bad as it used to be but compared to what the Tesla people have it's pretty limiting at this point in time. But I don't want to come across as too grim. From what I've tried out with ABRP it appears you can generally get from hither to yon in a Rivian.

Adapters aren't going to help you much and there is really only one that would be of any use and that is the Tesla Tap that lets you charge a Rivian from a Telsa Level 2 charger (but NOT a Supercharger). There are quite a few public Tesla "Destination Chargers" out there but then there are so many J1772 as well. Plug share shows these Tesla chargers.

The CHAdeMO discussion is moot as while there are still lots of modest power (50 kW) stations being opened with CHAdeMO each of those stations has one CHAdeMO and one CCS so you wouldn't need a CHAdeMO adapter even if it existed.

njcoach24

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Lincoln MKC
Any word on anything yet coming to NJ charging wise? Up in north jersey here, just reserved an r1t and cant find any info on charging stations coming near us.
I'm in north jersey also, we'll be the only two people here driving R1T's lol. I don't think we'll have many options beyond our garages for a while unless you want to visit the supermarket chargers.

We need to get the state to give us that 5K rebate though...

OP
OP

iKnowKenMeadows

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
operating engineer
My final purchase is pretty dependent on it haha

OP
OP

iKnowKenMeadows

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
operating engineer
I think I may be one of the few that’s not gonna camp or drive the thing over rocks…. Lol. Literally gonna be a commuter and weekend Home Depot trip truck, that’s it lol

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

My final purchase is pretty dependent on it haha
What is your commute? 95% of your charging will be done at home unless you live in an apartment or condo community that doesn't allow EVSE installations...

Only on road trips over 100 miles in a direction in my Tesla Model S 75 do I charge at a Supercharger. Everything else is at home. I have put 19,476 miles on it in 10 months and have used a Supercharger 10 times for my road trips. The rest is ALL at home on my L2 EVSE.

Sponsored

OP
OP

iKnowKenMeadows

First Name
Kenny
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
operating engineer
I’ll def be charging at home, was just curious about the stations in case I planned on taking it for a weekend to my in laws and Using it all weekend where I won’t be home to charge

jimcgov3

First Name
Jimmy
Threads
Reaction score
Jacksonville, Florida // Satellite Beach, FL
Vehicles
2017 Tesla Model S 75, Rivian R1T Owner
Clubs

I’ll def be charging at home, was just curious about the stations in case I planned on taking it for a weekend to my in laws and Using it all weekend where I won’t be home to charge
That is where the mobile charger and a dryer plug comes into play or as others have said www.plugshare.com or www.abetterrouteplanner.com will show you everything you need to know.
Sponsored