First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla S, 2012 LR4
Occupation
Geologist
Made a 275 mile loop today up into the chilly Colorado mountains (had to see a man about a cat).

Climbed from 5,830' via Leadville 10,151' down to Frisco 9,097 all in mid to low 30 degree temperatures and on and off snow flurries. Started with a 100% charge which was 297 mi range in Conserve mode - that turned into starting at 294 mi after losing 3 overnight. Stopped at EA charger in Frisco with 68 miles after roughly 195 miles of cold travel. Ended up being about 10% less than expected range which seemed pretty good to me considering the conditions.

One of the 350kW chargers gave an error saying the charger was 'limited' and the best I saw was 12kW (!) so i moved to the 150 kW tower as a Taycan had the other 350kW. Got about 120kW there and quickly added enough miles to comfortably get back home. Charger delays are primarily due to the many people coming up and wanting to talk and see the R1T.

Passed another LG R1T on my way down from Leadville which was cool.

Very impressed with the comfort and range of the R1T right out of the gate. Excited to see software updates and improvements with the battery management and Driver+. When I think about our Model S back when we got it in 2017, the R1T is off to a better start. The Model S software is much better now of course, but Rivian should be on a fast path to improvements.

Rivian R1T R1S Nice chilly trip today - 275 mile loop up Colorado mountains Screen Shot 2022-04-03 at 6.04.34 PM
Sponsored

Last edited:

mini2nut

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T, Model Y
Great report.

Just think of all of the improvements/tweaks that Rivian will make over the next year to help make the vehicle as near perfect as possible.

agsogg

First Name
Tony
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Toyota Camry
Occupation
Retired
Great report.

Just think of all of the improvements/tweaks that Rivian will make over the next year to help make the vehicle as near perfect as possible.
Pondering whether that makes the wait for my R1S with a late 2023 window easier.

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Nice romp! Love the roads from Copper up over Leadville down into BV. Same for 285. Wondering about high speed drift mode?

Thanks for the great trip report. Cheers my CO brother.

Sponsored

SASSquatch

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
BMW i3s Ford C-Max Hybrid
Occupation
Semi-Autonomous Yeti
Clubs

Made a 275 mile loop today up into the chilly Colorado mountains (had to see a man about a cat).
I see what you did there. :clap:

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
This bodes well for people in other wintry places. No elevation changes here but there is a lot of wind

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
Can’t tell if serious?

This is just the elevation profile Denver to Leadville.

DA56E424-33F7-48BA-A914-6AFCEC791AAE.jpeg
“Here” meaning where I am. Not “there”

FutureTruck

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T Pre Order 10/2021, Delivered 8/2022
Hoped you stopped at High Mountain Pies in Leadville! What a cool drive. Next time, can we get some pics of your R1T with the mountain backdrops??!

Sponsored

OP
OP
Lsthrz

Lsthrz

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla S, 2012 LR4
Occupation
Geologist
Hoped you stopped at High Mountain Pies in Leadville! What a cool drive. Next time, can we get some pics of your R1T with the mountain backdrops??!
That is a great pie place but this trip we did stop at El Azteca in Idaho Springs, an overlooked gem - try the margarita and Mexicali burger (but not if you are driving of course! 😉). Yes and need to take more pics.

First Name
Ken
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2006 VW Touareg V8
Occupation
Property Management
Thanks for sharing your fantastic trip with very respectable mileage for the conditions; it's very encouraging for those of us in the high country!

mikehmb

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
eGolf, i3, R1T

Climbed from 5,830' via Leadville 10,151' down to Frisco 9,097 all in mid to low 30 degree temperatures and on and off snow flurries. Started with a 100% charge which was 297 mi range in Conserve mode - that turned into starting at 294 mi after losing 3 overnight. Stopped at EA charger in Frisco with 68 miles after roughly 195 miles of cold travel. Ended up being about 10% less than expected range which seemed pretty good to me considering the conditions.

One of the 350kW chargers gave an error saying the charger was 'limited' and the best I saw was 12kW (!) so i moved to the 150 kW tower as a Taycan had the other 350kW. Got about 120kW there and quickly added enough miles to comfortably get back home. Charger delays are primarily due to the many people coming up and wanting to talk and see the R1T.

Passed another LG R1T on my way down from Leadville which was cool.

Very impressed with the comfort and range of the R1T right out of the gate. Excited to see software updates and improvements with the battery management and Driver+. When I think about our Model S back when we got it in 2017, the R1T is off to a better start. The Model S software is much better now of course, but Rivian should be on a fast path to improvements.

Screen Shot 2022-04-03 at 6.04.34 PM.png
How many kWh did you add at the charger, and then how much did you return home with? Trying to get a sense of how much regen you got on your way home, considering the considerable drop in elevation.

Would you have made the entire route without the extra charge, knowing what you know now (despite I’m sure the nail-biting moments watching the SOC drop …)?

Sgt Beavis

First Name
Rick
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 Rivian R1T, 2021 Jeep Wrangler Rubicon
Occupation
Overpaid Computer Nerd
Clubs

Excellent information here. I drive from Erie, down to Morrison to get to 285. I take that to Fairplay where I own an acre on Pennsylvania mtn. Fairplay has two DC fast chargers so I would easily be able to get topped off there. I usually end up taking the route 9 up to Breck, then round the Loveland Pass for the views before getting on I70 to come home.

OP
OP
Lsthrz

Lsthrz

First Name
David
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2017 Tesla S, 2012 LR4
Occupation
Geologist
How many kWh did you add at the charger, and then how much did you return home with? Trying to get a sense of how much regen you got on your way home, considering the considerable drop in elevation.

Would you have made the entire route without the extra charge, knowing what you know now (despite I’m sure the nail-biting moments watching the SOC drop …)?
I always plan to keep these detailed numbers and be a data nerd but when I look back at my notes <sigh>... To answer you question about making the whole trip, maybe, but showing with 68 miles in Frisco and 83 back, well, it would need to be a "Krameresque' type adventure ;)

I know when charging in Frisco I was at about 12% battery and 63 or so miles. Charged to 152 miles (it was a mess as I had to switch EA chargers a few times due to charging tower issues). Frisco to back home is ~83 miles (there was a stop in Idaho Springs for a bit), so should have had 69 miles when arriving but had 93 so that would suggest pretty decent regen. All of these calculations are rough...
Sponsored