NFC cards and PaaK no longer working

chrismc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
A couple weeks ago, both NFC key cards stopped working. Then last weekend, both my wife’s and my Phone-as-key suddenly stopped working as well, so now we’re down to the key fob as the only working access method (and heading out on a road trip tomorrow, nervous AF about it). I’ve had service issues open for about a week but Rivian is not giving me much confidence that they have a handle on the issues. They had me walk through a thorough un-pair/reset/re-pair procedure for the phone keys but it was not successful (times out pairing new phone key). I’ll post updated when I have them, but I’m not feeling like this is a great ownership experience right now or that this is a reliable vehicles. I’m simply baffled why they felt the need to make the keys overly complex like this when this was a solved problem with legacy cars.

To add insult to injury, the trim on top of the tailgate fell off while unloading a box from the bed and won’t stay on and the power tonneau cover is failing. Feeling a tinge of buyer’s remorse, this thing has too much gimmicky Tesla DNA and not enough KISS toughness.
Sponsored

Deleted member 7086

Both my NFC key cards have stopped locking or unlocking my R1T but they will activate the truck to drive it. Strange. FOB and phone still work.

doit82

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model Y, R1T
Any chance your cards were placed on the wireless charger? I had the wireless charger mess up a hotel key when i placed it there recently (i think). Doesnt explain the phone of course.

OP
OP

chrismc

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
r1t
Both my NFC key cards have stopped locking or unlocking my R1T but they will activate the truck to drive it. Strange. FOB and phone still work.
As a follow-up to my original post, the issue ended being the NFC reader built in to the door handle. They updated the firmware on it but that didn’t fix it so they ended up having to replace the door handle. The NFC cards have worked reliably since.

Deleted member 7086

Thank you for the update. They are going to try to reactivate my cards but I suspect it is a bad reader because the cards work to drive the truck.
Sponsored