First Name
Silence Dogood
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1T LE in GW
Occupation
Public Relations
Found it - which would you prefer? This or that?

Screenshot_20220524-153835_Gallery.jpg
Which would I prefer? Well, in this scenario I don't really have a choice do I. Ford wouldn't let me take delivery of the lightning until their software subcontractor pushes out a rushed software patch; so I'd have to take the Rivian with the gnarly panel that I cant even see and happily drive it while I wait for Rivian to repair it. :-D

MilliM

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S, Polestar 2
Which would I prefer? Well, in this scenario I don't really have a choice do I. Ford wouldn't let me take delivery of the lightning until their software subcontractor pushes out a rushed software patch; so I'd have to take the Rivian with the gnarly panel that I cant even see and happily drive it while I wait for Rivian to repair it. :-D
I think we need to agree to disagree...as you'd be waiting a long time for that fix according to the post i linked to above. Enjoy your R1T and I'll enjoy my Lightning while waiting for my R1S. FWIW I just asked owners at the Lightning forum about build quality - we'll see what they have to say.

Rivian R1T R1S Next R1S delivery timeline update email coming July 1 - says customer service Waiting.JPG

crashmtb

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2002 aluminium garden shed TD5
[Edited for typos]
I would expect 2022 R1S deliveries to be small in number and clustered toward the end of the year for a few reasons.

Rivian production for the remainder of 2022 seems very likely to be overwhelmingly R1T LR/LE/Adventures. They are still in the early stages of ramping up to full-rate production, something very difficult in the best of times, and adding a different model like the R1S to the mix will negatively impact rate. That in turn could jeopardize Rivian's ability to meet the stated R1 production target for 2022 (15,000 units), so I strongly suspect that relatively few R1S's will be in the mix this year.

I think that a high priority at Rivian is to meet the stated 15,000 R1 unit target, but I also think there is a secondary goal to credibly claim that the R1S is in production. To make sure that R1T production is impacted as minimally as possible, it seems likely to me that even limited R1S production will be shifted to the right and be as few units as possible consistent with that "in production" claim. How many R1S's is anyone's guess but I suspect it's no greater than the low hundreds. Hopefully we get more info and insight at the August Earnings Call.

As to methodology, I use a Magic 8 Ball, which may or may not be more accurate than the crystal balls that others use. And though I'd be very happy if my speculation proves to be wrong, to paraphrase H L Mencken, "No one ever went broke underestimating Rivian predictions."
Rivian R1T R1S Next R1S delivery timeline update email coming July 1 - says customer service 1656697734496

Sponsored

switters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Hi everyone,

I ordered my R1S on 12/19/21. I checked my email and don't think I've received any information about a delivery window/timeline.

Given my order date, what do you think I should expect? Second half of 2023?

My current Tesla Model X lease expires in December of this year, so I'm trying to figure out what to do about the gab between when I have to turn that in and when the R1S arrives.

dleewla

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian, Toyota, Lexus
Clubs

Hi everyone,

I ordered my R1S on 12/19/21. I checked my email and don't think I've received any information about a delivery window/timeline.

Given my order date, what do you think I should expect? Second half of 2023?

My current Tesla Model X lease expires in December of this year, so I'm trying to figure out what to do about the gab between when I have to turn that in and when the R1S arrives.
second half of 2023 sounds about right if all things go well. however, so far that isn't Rivian's track record. if you think about a 6 month delivery window, it basically says "we have no idea". kinda frightening to think they are still that unsure.

SweetJesus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Outlander PHEV
I pre ordered my R1S in late 2018. I have never received any notification of any delivery date. I feel like my spot was lost or something?

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

I pre ordered my R1S in late 2018. I have never received any notification of any delivery date. I feel like my spot was lost or something?
What configuration do you have saved? Do you get other emails from Rivian? Customer Support should be able to tell you the most recent delivery window you were assigned even if the email didn't go through.

switters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
second half of 2023 sounds about right if all things go well. however, so far that isn't Rivian's track record. if you think about a 6 month delivery window, it basically says "we have no idea". kinda frightening to think they are still that unsure.
This is the tricky part. If I knew it was coming in June 2023, I'd just extend my Tesla lease by 6 months. But I'm not confident in that at all. So now I have to choose between:
  • Getting a new vehicle, only to sell it in 9-12-ish months when the R1S arrives
  • Buy out my Model X at the end of the lease, then sell it when the R1S arrives
I did go ahead and order a new Model X a while back because I thought it would be available before the R1S, and might fill the gap. I was right—I just got an email from them saying it's ready, 3-4 months before expected.

They're offering an option to terminate my current lease without penalty and start a new lease with the new vehicle. Maybe I'll do that, and then I'll at least have it for 12-18 months before the R1S gets here.

Sponsored

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

This is the tricky part. If I knew it was coming in June 2023, I'd just extend my Tesla lease by 6 months. But I'm not confident in that at all. So now I have to choose between:
  • Getting a new vehicle, only to sell it in 9-12-ish months when the R1S arrives
  • Buy out my Model X at the end of the lease, then sell it when the R1S arrives
I did go ahead and order a new Model X a while back because I thought it would be available before the R1S, and might fill the gap. I was right—I just got an email from them saying it's ready, 3-4 months before expected.

They're offering an option to terminate my current lease without penalty and start a new lease with the new vehicle. Maybe I'll do that, and then I'll at least have it for 12-18 months before the R1S gets here.
Unless you have specific business reasons to do so, I would never lease a Tesla. Depreciation is minimal if not negative currently, but they are still going to price the lease with a more typical depreciation of 10-15% a year. They realized how much their off lease vehicles are worth and no longer let you buy out a lease, leaving you nothing to show at the end for all your monthly payments. Your best bet would be to buy out your current lease and resell it when your R1S comes. Your next best bet would be to turn in your existing lease and BUY, not lease, the new Model X. Under no circumstances should you lease the new Model X.

switters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Unless you have specific business reasons to do so, I would never lease a Tesla. Depreciation is minimal if not negative currently, but they are still going to price the lease with a more typical depreciation of 10-15% a year. They realized how much their off lease vehicles are worth and no longer let you buy out a lease, leaving you nothing to show at the end for all your monthly payments. Your best bet would be to buy out your current lease and resell it when your R1S comes. Your next best bet would be to turn in your existing lease and BUY, not lease, the new Model X. Under no circumstances should you lease the new Model X.
Thanks. I did have a business reason to lease when I bought my current MX, but that isn't the case now.

I think you're right—buying out my MX at the end of this lease, and selling it when the R1S arrives, is the best option.

switters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
What configuration do you have saved? Do you get other emails from Rivian? Customer Support should be able to tell you the most recent delivery window you were assigned even if the email didn't go through.
Here is my configuration. I chose, and am sticking with, Ocean Coast. I guess that will delay it further?

Rivian R1T R1S Next R1S delivery timeline update email coming July 1 - says customer service Configuration

timf

First Name
Tim
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S
Clubs

Here is my configuration. I chose, and am sticking with, Ocean Coast. I guess that will delay it further?

Configuration.jpg
Ocean Coast, as well as not being Launch Edition, will mean you most likely have a first half 2023 window despite the November 2018 reservation. Again, I would check with Customer Service as to why you didn't receive an email.

switters

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model X
Ocean Coast, as well as not being Launch Edition, will mean you most likely have a first half 2023 window despite the November 2018 reservation. Again, I would check with Customer Service as to why you didn't receive an email.
Oops, sorry—I responded to the wrong post. My reservation was December 2019. Does that suggest 2nd half of 2023 or even later with Ocean Coast and not Launch Edition?
Sponsored