Sponsored

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
You make a valid point, my friend. Sorry if my initial reply was heavy handed. I've always advised my clients to be up front with issues like this; better to be the first to speak of it than to be the last.
No apology necessary. I think nearly all of us agree that Rivian should do better with its customer communications. One compromise to mass emails for something like 12V plugs might be to be active in forums like this, Rivian Stories, and r/Rivian, and actually have regular updates posted proactively in all of those. They don't just have to post a message mentioning only that vehicles starting in February 2023 will have a new audio system. They can include a variety of updates that have happened this month, like highlighting the story about the bird sound inspiration, new RAN stations opened, updates to their service center map showing centers coming soon, etc.
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
Update the manual, update the web site, move on.

They already have a disclaimer that things could change so it should be expected that they will.

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3 Dual Motor AWD, Ford F150 EB 4X4 Platinum 6.5ft bed
Aside from an archaic phone charger that plugged into the 12V, I have never used one in any of my cars.
I use mine in my R1T to convert them to USB. I find it's location just fine for my purposes.

Rivian R1T R1S Newer R1S builds have no 12v under dash 51ZG7M38cTL._AC_UF1000,1000_QL80_FMwebp_

OP
OP

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Thanks for the link. Are USB-C ports in R1S QC and PD compatible? This product has two versions.
I decided to do hardwire the radar thru the mirror instead. However that website suggest version 2 for more compatibles

Sponsored

OP
OP

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
BFD. There are 2 12v batteries you can tap into. Easy DIY
I don't know if it is a good idea since there are so many stories of bricking the Rivian bcz of 12V batteries issue.

Soju1

First Name
Michael
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1T
Clubs

I took delivery of my R1T 2 weeks ago. I have frunk and gear tunnel 12v but nothing in the dash area. Was looking forward to using it with my MagSafe compatible charger with the Riviparts ball mount. Now it just hold my phone and to charge I have to move it to the charging pad which was swapped to the twraps MagSafe pad

crymearivian

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Clubs

I took delivery of my R1T 2 weeks ago. I have frunk and gear tunnel 12v but nothing in the dash area. Was looking forward to using it with my MagSafe compatible charger with the Riviparts ball mount. Now it just hold my phone and to charge I have to move it to the charging pad which was swapped to the twraps MagSafe pad
Please see this thread mentioning use of the ODB2 to USB connector that may help you.

https://www.rivianforums.com/forum/threads/new-riviparts-left-side-phone-mount.12039/post-304162

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
I just spoke with a Rivian representative regarding the recent removal of the 12Vs. I suggested that Rivian make them as an option that can be added pre and post vehicle purchase. His reply was that many people had called in requesting for the 12Vs so Rivian may bring them back as an option.

Sponsored

SoCalGuy

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S Preorder
I just spoke with a Rivian representative regarding the recent removal of the 12Vs. I suggested that Rivian make them as an option that can be added pre and post vehicle purchase. His reply was that many people had called in requesting for the 12Vs so Rivian may bring them back as an option.
Wonder if these are easily retrofittable.

RayzorBEV

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Wonder if these are easily retrofittable.
If Rivian decides to bring them back, I'm sure they will make it easy to install. This is a relatively simple device, after all

usofrob

First Name
Robert
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla 3, lotus Elise
Occupation
MBSE
I can hardly imagine them bringing either back as an option. If they bring it back, it'll be for everyone. Rivian (and Tesla) work because they don't have very many options.

mike813

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S GW/OC/20 | 2020 Tesla Model Y
Clubs

clownsmashd

First Name
Mark
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T - LE Green/20" AT/BM -- Chevy BOLT EUV
Occupation
Data Scientist/Engineer
Clubs

Picked up R1T on March 25th. No frunk or cabin 12V outlet. Was told there was a part shortage and that is why they were removed. I use a rear view camera on my camper. On a test towing drive recently I used a 10ft 12V extension cable from the frunk outlet through the gear tunnel access door between seats in back up to the front. Not ideal but worked. The extension cable is sort of in the way if there are passengers in the back.
Sponsored