OP

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
There is nothing wrong with using a radar detector. These people are morons.

They think it's all about speeding, but anyone who lives in an area with aggressive cops and speed traps knows you want to know where they are. Especially if you are a person of color who will get pulled over for going 1 mile over the limit and might lose their life to a trigger happy cop.
Don't you dare saying those stuff.!! There is no such thing is racist power driven cops!!!
Sponsored

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
If they were interested in that they would be writing far more tickets for distracted driving(far more dangerous than exceeding the speed limit).
Very true but distracted driving is much harder to prove. Speeding is simple facts, black and white and easily verifiable with a variety of devices.

jebinc

First Name
John
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2021+ Tesla MS Plaid, R1T Adventure
Occupation
Retired
Yea. It is illegal. But it isn't a crime. Or a criminal according to some
Well, if you’re going fast enough, it becomes reckless driving, which is a “gross misdemeanor” in WA. 20 over, IIRC.

CharonPDX

First Name
Charon
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T LE, Mach-E, Arcimoto FUV, Repl: F-250/Model S
Occupation
InfoSec Geek
Clubs

yeah, really don't care if people who want to install radar or laser detectors can get to power. I tend to think they should be points-inducing citations that can eventually lead to loss of a driver's license, but that's a total side conversation.

However, I do think power under the dash is very useful for wanting to plug something in and leave it in that lower storage area or to have a phone plugged in while using it for alternative navigation. I prefer 12V but even if they just put 2 USB-C ports with good power output, that's fine.
Yep, I use my under-dash 12V to power my trailer rear view camera monitor.

Sponsored

sacramentoelectric

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Model X, BMW i3
Clubs

anyone with a recent R1T and does not have the 12V under the dash?
My 19xxx vin R1T built in February doesn’t have either the frunk or under dash 12v. Got to go out tomorrow to see if they deleted it from the gear tunnel too. 😞

SeaGeo

First Name
Brice
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Xc60 T8
Occupation
Engineer

windblowlc

First Name
Loc
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Porsche 911 Turbo S, Porsche Cayenne Turbo Coupe
Occupation
Retired
My friendly local cop stopped me while I was driving 30 on a 25 mph zone, took a look around the R1T and said he has never seen one in person 😄. He then asked me how fast can I do with this truck (fastest speed). I lamely said I haven't had the opportunity to take it to the track yet, but it's supposed to have a top speed of 110 mph, limited. So finally, he asked - how far can it go on a full charge and I answered 300+ miles, but that I could only get 200+ miles out of it. I left out the part why I can't make 300 😆. He never mentioned anything about a ticket before letting me go on my way.

Honey

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Ford edge 2013
Occupation
Firefighter
How else am i going to use my radar detector?

Sponsored

moosehead

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
‘22 Ioniq 5, ‘78 Jeep Wagoneer
Er, ah, ahem, if any of youz happened to be that guy driving 55 mph in the fast lane in a 70 mph zone, please, for the love of gawd, GTFOMW!

Thank you.

OP
OP

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3

KingTodd

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru
I wonder what will remain by the time I get my R1S? I bet they will soon remove the flashlight and camp speaker. They are bigger ticket items that will reduce unnecessary cost. At least that’s what Munroe says.
If I had to choose between a 12V plug and some stupid speaker and flashlight, I would rather have the outlet.
That speaker kind of pisses me off. For a company that markets itself on being outdoors, why do they want people out in the woods. Maybe their engineers can be out enjoying a couples or family vacation out in the woods, and then someone sets up camp next to them blasting Kanye West or having a honky-tonk right using that stupid thing.

OP
OP

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Today I learned that I'm weird because I suggested people obey traffic laws. And also that it's apparently cool to insult people for suggesting such a thing.
suggest is fine. calling people criminal for speeding and owned a radar
is not !

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
suggest is fine. calling people criminal for speeding and owned a radar
is not !
OK. that one's totally on me. I hadn't seen TheDude's comments and a few of the ones that spun off of that. I made the bad assumption that the one I responded to was an escalation related to my comments. There was a reason I thought this thread should be shut down or at least cleaned up. I knew it was going to go sideways. I'm as guilty of taking it there as any, so I'll own up to contributing to it and commit to saying nothing else about speeding, radar detectors, etc. in this or other threads.

Trying to reset things a bit: I think we all agree that there are reasons that the removal of the 12V from under the dash sucks. For me the ideal would be USB-C with PD so it can charge tablets and other items with bigger batteries than a cell phone.

For anyone who needs other options: There are ways to get 12V or USB off the OBD-II port. It's not ideal, but it's better than nothing. I think one of the big downsides is that the OBD-II port is always powered, which could result in some additional power drain. Some of the OBD-II to 12V female or to USB connector/cables do have switches that would help with that. Just have to remember to flip it off before leaving your vehicle somewhere unplugged for a long time.

Edit: I'm also going to self-censor and clean up or delete all of my posts in this thread before this one. Too little too late, but maybe it'll help a tiny bit in keeping this a friendly place for people to discuss Rivians and related topics.
Sponsored

Last edited: