Sponsored

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Just took my R1s adventure delivery this past Friday with vin number 51XX and there is not a 12V plug underneath the dash. The only one I found is at the back by the air compressor. WTH. I need one for the radar detector in front !
Sponsored

Last edited:

Rivianation

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
Occupation
Manager
Just took delivery this past Friday with vin number 51XX and there is not a 12V plug underneath the dash. The only one I found is at the back by the air compressor. WTH. I need one for the radar detector in front !
When you say VIN ..51XX, do you mean VIN ...0151XX or 0051XX?

OP
OP

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
My bad, I didn't notice you had an R1S. Anyway, you can hardwire into rearview. See here:

Thank you. Need to do a search on how to hardwire the rear view for the radar.

Sponsored

Joints4Sale

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, e-tron GT,Ram CTD,R1250GSA, Tuareg 660
Occupation
Orthopaedic Implant Sales

Joe schmoe

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla model S
My VIN is 0035xx (2023 R1S) and I have all 3 12v outlets—frunk, center dash, and left rear.

NashvilleR1S

First Name
Chris
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2023 R1S, 2022 Pilot
Occupation
Cinematography

Jakey

First Name
Jake
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Picked up my R1S an after a 4 year wait last Tuesday. So much of it is perfect. But I did want to mount a phone or screen up front for CarPlay….I bough a charger for the 12V under the Dash and….couldn’t find it!

I thought I must be missing something obvious, I even checked the digital owners manual which still labels a 12V placement under the front center screen.

Finally I broke down and called Rivian support who informed me that if my R1S was built Feb 2023 or later, they no longer have a 12v outlet in the front cabin under the screen. Bummer!

I guess now I just have to run a longer usbc cable from the dash all the way into the center console which doesn’t look great.

don’t know if this applies to the R1Ts as well, or just the S…..

(yes there is a 12V in the front trunk)

Sponsored

OverZealous

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2023 R1S Quad-Adventure
Occupation
Product Manager / Front-End Developer
This is a real shame, I can't imagine the cost of that plug being more than a few pennies. The electrical is already there (almost no wiring needed), the outlet is interior, so doesn't need to be waterproof, and it's a dirt-cheap part.

I really hope they don't optimize-away the niceties of these trucks.

Autolycus

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
ICE only :(
[Edited to remove off-topic discussion]

I do think power under the dash is very useful for wanting to plug something in and leave it in that lower storage area or to have a phone plugged in while using it for alternative navigation. I prefer 12V but even if they just put 2 USB-C ports with good power output, that's fine.

Last edited:

Prime

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla MY(P), Rivian R1T
Interesting that the removal is official (per CS) but the website has yet to update and reflect this change. On the R1T. They still list 2 12V on the vehicle, with the removal of the dash mounted 12V the only remaining is the one in the rear tunnel.

I’m guessing this was not a cost of materials issue, but a cost of production / ie time it took to install / place wiring for the 12v. I feel like they’ll just do away with it all together sometime soon.

Hbrivianguy

First Name
Walter
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1S
Just took my R1s adventure delivery this past Friday with vin number 51XX and there is not a 12V plug underneath the dash. The only one I found is at the back by the air compressor. WTH. I need one for the radar detector in front !

KingTodd

First Name
Mike
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Subaru
And that a-hole Tony will tell us something like "this is what makes our manufacturing process so exciting, we can update the models instantly"!!
So they can pull stuff like this whenever they want. WHne was the last time they upgraded or added something instantly?!
Sponsored