First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
23 R1S Adv, Avalanche, BMWs-X3,330cic,K1200RS bike
Occupation
Engineer
Aside from an archaic phone charger that plugged into the 12V, I have never used one in any of my cars.
I've used them over the years for a variety of things - portable radio charger, small inverter for my laptop, 18650/AA/C/D Li-ion cell charger, 12v Amber roof strobe when I snow plow, high volume air inflator for inflatables, plus probably a few I've forgotten. If my R1S is delivered without one, this will almost certainly be my first hack.
Sponsored

SANZC02

First Name
Bob
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model S, LE - R1S
Occupation
Retired
I have not used a radar detector since the early 90s when most guns started using instance on. Then in the 2000’s they started using guns that can read your speed faster than you or the detector could react.

Just find it easier to go with the flow of traffic and monitor brake lights out ahead of me. I also find in an EV the 5 or 10 minutes faster I get to the next charger is usually consumed adding in the extra juice. 🤷🏻

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I didn’t know speeding is a crime ! I guess the whole country are criminal except for you. Mr perfect I drive at speed limit at all time
I don’t recall saying I have never sped before. Most speeding offenses aren’t actually criminal but it’s easier to type than to try to explain the differences between civil and criminal penalties to people.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
I have not used a radar detector since the early 90s when most guns started using instance on. Then in the 2000’s they started using guns that can read your speed faster than you or the detector could react.
I got in this discussion years ago with my brother-in-law who was a police officer at the time. He said exactly that - I can pull the trigger on your car and get your speed before your radar detector goes off. My reply? I'm not trying to detect the radar when you shoot me - I'm counting on detecting the radar when you pull the trigger on the 10 cars in front of me. He had no reply!!!

OP
OP

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I don’t recall saying I have never sped before. Most speeding offenses aren’t actually criminal but it’s easier to type than to try to explain the differences between civil and criminal penalties to people.
I think you just need to stop typing since you already call people that own a radar a criminal.

Sponsored

OP
OP

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
I got in this discussion years ago with my brother-in-law who was a police officer at the time. He said exactly that - I can pull the trigger on your car and get your speed before your radar detector goes off. My reply? I'm not trying to detect the radar when you shoot me - I'm counting on detecting the radar when you pull the trigger on the 10 cars in front of me. He had no reply!!!
Exactly. Ka band can detect them from far away. For them to point at you directly. It needs to be laser.

Zoidz

First Name
Gil
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Occupation
Engineer
LL75 said:
I think you just need to stop typing since you already call people that own a radar a criminal.

If you aren’t breaking the law then why do you want a radar detector?
He didn’t say he wasn’t breaking the law. He’s commenting on calling radar detector owners a criminal.

Speeding in almost all areas is not a crime. It’s a civil traffic code violation.

OP
OP

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
If you aren’t breaking the law then why do you want a radar detector?
I don't want to be a prick. But you,sir, is an idiot!

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
He didn’t say he wasn’t breaking the law. He’s commenting on calling radar detector owners a criminal.

Speeding in almost all areas is not a crime. It’s a civil traffic code violation.
Criminal is easier to type and more commonly understood than calling it a civil infraction.

Sponsored

Thedude

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
R1T
I don't want to be a prick. But you,sir, is an idiot!
Idiot I may be but at least am man enough to accept the consequences of my actions. It’s also fun to rile up other idiots on forums sometimes, thanks for the entertainment.

Joints4Sale

First Name
Erik
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Rivian R1S, e-tron GT,Ram CTD,R1250GSA, Tuareg 660
Occupation
Orthopaedic Implant Sales
Unless you drive in the District of Columbia Or Virginia, Radar Detectors are leagal.

I put one in all of my cars because it helps me even the playing field with the “Revenue Generating” police. It is very easy to exceed the posted speed in a EV.

For the most part traffic patrol does very little in the name of safety by enforcing the speed limit. If they were interested in that they would be writing far more tickets for distracted driving(far more dangerous than exceeding the speed limit).

emoore

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T
I didn’t know speeding is a crime ! I guess the whole country are criminal except for you. Mr perfect I drive at speed limit at all time
Isn’t speeding illegal? I know “everyone“ does it but that doesn’t make it less illegal.

OP
OP

LL75

First Name
lance
Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
Tesla Model 3
Isn’t speeding illegal? I know “everyone“ does it but that doesn’t make it less illegal.
Yea. It is illegal. But it isn't a crime. Or a criminal according to some

ironpig

Threads
Reaction score
Vehicles
2022 R1T LE, 2015 4Runner, 1975 FJ55 Land Cruiser
Wow. Now you are a criminal for having a radar detector. People on this forum is something else !!!
There is nothing wrong with using a radar detector. These people are morons.

They think it's all about speeding, but anyone who lives in an area with aggressive cops and speed traps knows you want to know where they are. Especially if you are a person of color who will get pulled over for going 1 mile over the limit and might lose their life to a trigger happy cop.
Sponsored